Offer to visit a firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer to visit a firm

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:11 pm

I sent my application to a firm in my hometown to an associate who is an alumni of my law school. She replied telling me that the firm hasn't decided how many or if they'll have summer associates next summer but she invited me to the firm to meet her and other lawyers. How should I treat this firm visit? Should I bring resumes and writing samples? This firm doesn't seem to hire summer associates on a regular basis.

Anonymous User

Re: Offer to visit a firm

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:10 pm

Bumping for the afternoon crowd

njdevils2626

Bronze

Postby njdevils2626 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I sent my application to a firm in my hometown to an associate who is an alumni of my law school. She replied telling me that the firm hasn't decided how many or if they'll have summer associates next summer but she invited me to the firm to meet her and other lawyers. How should I treat this firm visit? Should I bring resumes and writing samples? This firm doesn't seem to hire summer associates on a regular basis.

Don't bring resumes and writing samples. You're being invited to meet with people, so go do that and establish connections, treat this as a meet and greet rather than an interview (though obviously talk yourself up). It's not like these people are oblivious to why you're there, but they don't need 10 different physical copies of your resume and writing sample which they will, in all likelihood, just throw out. They probably have some sort of hiring committee and you will probably meet some people on this committee. Talk with them about employment and offer to follow up in an email with your resume and writing sample and whatever other materials. This allows the conversations with everyone you meet to be more genuine, while also giving you both an opportunity and a reason to follow up afterwards and continue building the genuine connection you just spent the day cultivating

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:20 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I sent my application to a firm in my hometown to an associate who is an alumni of my law school. She replied telling me that the firm hasn't decided how many or if they'll have summer associates next summer but she invited me to the firm to meet her and other lawyers. How should I treat this firm visit? Should I bring resumes and writing samples? This firm doesn't seem to hire summer associates on a regular basis.

Don't bring resumes and writing samples. You're being invited to meet with people, so go do that and establish connections, treat this as a meet and greet rather than an interview (though obviously talk yourself up). It's not like these people are oblivious to why you're there, but they don't need 10 different physical copies of your resume and writing sample which they will, in all likelihood, just throw out. They probably have some sort of hiring committee and you will probably meet some people on this committee. Talk with them about employment and offer to follow up in an email with your resume and writing sample and whatever other materials. This allows the conversations with everyone you meet to be more genuine, while also giving you both an opportunity and a reason to follow up afterwards and continue building the genuine connection you just spent the day cultivating

Thank you! This advice sounds perfect.

Return to “Legal Employment�