Lateraling - C&F Issue Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling - C&F Issue

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:23 am

Looking for insight into what I think is a rare situation:

I am currently wrapping up my first year as a corporate associate in NYC. I want to lateral to the SF Bay Area. I have passed both the NY Bar and the CA Bar - but due to an alcohol related C&F issue, I am not yet admitted in either. My hope is that I will be admitted in NY in the last 2-3 months, but it is not guaranteed. CA may not admit me until 9/17, but I am hoping it will be earlier than that.

Ideally, I would like to lateral to one of the better SF corporate firms (e.g. WSGR, Cooley, Fenwick, Orrick, Kirkland etc.). My firm does have an office in the bay area, but its brand name is much stronger in NYC. I was hoping that my work at the NYC office would help me land a spot at one of the aforementioned bay area firms. I mention this because I know that one of my options would be to lateral to my firm's office in the bay area - but would this hurt my chances of later working for one of the stronger SF firms as opposed to lateraling from NYC?

W/R/T to the C&F issue - should I even try to navigate this while this is looming? I could wait it out at my firm until I get admitted, but my preference is to get to SF sooner than later. Would firms need to know the details? That is, could I say I had passed the bar but I filed my C&F app recently and it is still pending (it typically takes 6-8 months to complete anyway)?

Any insight is appreciated

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Re: Lateraling - C&F Issue

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Just don't lie. I'd say something along of lines I've passed the bar and am awaiting admission. If it were me, after the offer has been extended, I would inform the prospective firm that your admission may be delayed due to alcohol related character and fitness issues. I was very upfront with my firm (50 lawyer litigation shop) and they appreciated my candor. My delayed admission was not a problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Out of personal curiousity, can either of you go into specifics about the type of alcohol related issue that would delay c&f?

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:17 pm

DUI or more than one drunk in public etc. These issues may delay your admission. If you got a single minor in possession in college and have no other incidents, your application will probably not even be flagged for further review. The more recent, the more of a problem you will have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:30 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:DUI or more than one drunk in public etc. These issues may delay your admission. If you got a single minor in possession in college and have no other incidents, your application will probably not even be flagged for further review. The more recent, the more of a problem you will have.
Mine was a DUI plead down to DWAI (traffic infraction, not criminal) after my first year of law school. So only about 2 years prior to applying to the bar. Im guessing ill experience some delays. Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
tyroneslothrop1 wrote:DUI or more than one drunk in public etc. These issues may delay your admission. If you got a single minor in possession in college and have no other incidents, your application will probably not even be flagged for further review. The more recent, the more of a problem you will have.
Mine was a DUI plead down to DWAI (traffic infraction, not criminal) after my first year of law school. So only about 2 years prior to applying to the bar. Im guessing ill experience some delays. Ugh.
OP here - which state? If CA, you will likely be delayed. My guess would be 6 months to a year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here - which state? If CA, you will likely be delayed. My guess would be 6 months to a year
NY. Starting biglaw in October. Didn't even think about the possibility of a delay and how to explain it to people. (At the time I was too busy worrying about whether ill get admitted at all)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NY. Starting biglaw in October. Didn't even think about the possibility of a delay and how to explain it to people. (At the time I was too busy worrying about whether ill get admitted at all)
You will be fine. NY may delay you temporarily, but not enough to make a difference to the firm. At my v5 there are still people who haven't been admitted (passed bar last summer) and don't have any C&F issues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You will be fine. NY may delay you temporarily, but not enough to make a difference to the firm. At my v5 there are still people who haven't been admitted (passed bar last summer) and don't have any C&F issues.
That is relieving, thank you.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:32 pm

I have a couple NYC corporate biglaw friends who weren't admitted until their second year because they just didn't submit applications, and plenty others who were late in their stub/first year. I wouldn't worry about your C&F delay being too problematic (if at all) at your current firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”