Have 3L OCI screener with a "global" firm. Wise to indicate during interview that they can send me ANYWHERE?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Have 3L OCI screener with a "global" firm. Wise to indicate during interview that they can send me ANYWHERE?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Sometime in the next 2 weeks, I'll be interviewing with a firm that says something like "you can't interview with more than one interviewer (i.e., only 1 interview per interviewee), but you just need to interview with one office in order to be considered for all other offices."

If my "flexibility" is such that I'd be willing to be sent to Siberia in exchange for a job that puts food on the table, should I something like "ideally, I'd like to work for your [CityA] office because [reasons], but since I know 3L hiring is mostly a function of each office's specific needs, I have no commitments to any one particular area."

I guess this is another iteration of the old "do I cast a wide net to maximize my chances in this volume game OR would doing that reek of desperation"?

Also, although generally multi-office firms' individual offices vary in competitiveness (e.g., DC/SF > NY > Siberia), do firms that operate like that usually do something like "if the interviewer deems your grades mediocre (if colored by the interviewer's own office's competitiveness), then you're out of luck even for our firm's less competitive offices."

Return to “Legal Employment�