Ask HR in cover letter if I can meet them at my school's OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ask HR in cover letter if I can meet them at my school's OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:58 am

3L who mass mailed them/applied on Symplicity recently. Silence since then.

They're visiting my school for 2L OCI this week or next but I don't think I can find out until the day of whether they're accepting 3L walk-ins if they start the day undersubscribed (i.e., have free slots because not enough 2Ls bid).

Should I send a follow-up saying that I noticed that they're visiting on date 08/xx/16, and if it's more convenient for them, I can meet them at OCI?

Or should I just checkin with OCI the morning of to see if they're taking walkins?

2. Should I say in original cover letters/email bodies (to firms I havent applied to yet) that I have family in their city and can provide for my own transportation/housing? In case the couple hundred that they might be wary of reimbursing is what's making them hesitant to "fly me in." This way, they lose nothing but time and might help if I'm a borderline candidate for whom they'd have the time of day for if it werent for what they'd have to reimburse.

Babum

Bronze

Re: Ask HR in cover letter if I can meet them at my school's OCI?

Postby Babum » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:17 am

I don't think firms cover transportation costs for screener interviews (or any costs for that matter), so your point 2 doesn't quite matter.

Platinum

Re: Ask HR in cover letter if I can meet them at my school's OCI?

Postby 2014 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:26 pm

No harm offering to meet them at OCI but if they don't reply you should show up anyway.

To the cost thing, generally the best way to do this is to pick a range of dates and say you will be in town (whether or not true) and you would love to interview. If they take you up on it you then book the travel and make it happen.

Return to “Legal Employment�