Callback vs. Journal Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback vs. Journal

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I have found myself in a tough situation. I received a callback from a firm I am interested in, but due to their callback structure and my interest in changing coasts this callback would take 2 days of the 4 days for write on at my law school. I am a rising 2L, so this is my last chance to join a journal - and the firm is not able to change the callback date.

Would it be wise to attempt to do both? If not, which is more important long term: law review or a callback? I do have other callbacks as well, although this specific firm is somewhat more interesting to me than most.

Thank you for your help.

Anonymous User

Re: Callback vs. Journal

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Do both. I know several people who worked full time during write on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do both. I know several people who worked full time during write on.
encouraging to hear - thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello everyone,

I have found myself in a tough situation. I received a callback from a firm I am interested in, but due to their callback structure and my interest in changing coasts this callback would take 2 days of the 4 days for write on at my law school. I am a rising 2L, so this is my last chance to join a journal - and the firm is not able to change the callback date.

Would it be wise to attempt to do both? If not, which is more important long term: law review or a callback? I do have other callbacks as well, although this specific firm is somewhat more interesting to me than most.

Thank you for your help.
The callback is more important. Sure, making law review is nice, but you went to law school — presumably — to get a job. Turning down a callback to join a journal is just... An unthinkably bad idea, especially because there's no guarantee that your other callbacks will turn into offers. That being said, you can absolutely work on your tryout during your downtime and in the two extra days you have. I know that my callbacks tired me out but it sounds like the journal is something that's important to you, so you will probably have the motivation to work on the tryout.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:39 pm

Do both (callback def. being more important). I know many people that worked full time and did the write-on. You're just gonna have to grind. Besides, your callback should be half a day, you should still have time the rest of the day to work on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”