Does A Firm Still Consider Grades After CB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hrvcqrv

New

Does A Firm Still Consider Grades After CB?

Postby hrvcqrv » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:43 pm

I have a callback with a big firm in NY this coming week. My grades aren't necessarily in their grade range, but since I received a callback with them, does that mean now its more about "fit" than my credentials? Any CB advice is also appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Does A Firm Still Consider Grades After CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:03 pm

Maybe. Some do some don't. I have had friends dinged at the CB stage bc of grades. I have also had friends not dinged at the CB stage with very weak grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:21 pm

This is possible but likely very rare. After all, grades would have been one of the factors used to determine that you were even qualified for a callback.

bowser

Bronze

Postby bowser » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:12 pm

Yes, because some of the people you interview with will take grades into account.

There's very little guidance for your interviewers so they go on whatever criteria suits them. Generally this means (a) people who just kind of don't care about your personality or background and will just categorize based on grades/school, (b) people who want enthusiasm and (c) people who red-flag anyone they think might be weird. If you can tick off these three things you'll generally get a thumbs-up from most interviewers.

It's a little-more grade-focused at OIC stage because they're seeing so many people that they have less ability to think of you individually, so often just sort based on grades.

TheoO

Silver

Postby TheoO » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Depends on how grade centric the firm is to begin with.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:09 am

Yeah. The process for hiring generally involves all your CB interviewers getting a sheet to grade you and then give an ultimate recommendation of yes/no.

These sheets are all collected and reviewed by the hiring committee/hiring partner who will also be looking at your resume/materials whatever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:22 pm

They do, but it probably differs by firm. I was told by a v50 partner who interviewed me that it was a primary reason I didn't receive an offer. Your screener may think your grades are good enough, but they are one of many people involved in the decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:00 pm

Hm. Shouldn't grades be a factor when considering whether to 1) offer the screening interview and 2) then offer the callback? It just seems like it would be a waste of time and money for the firm to invite someone for a callback and still consider their grades. I thought it would just be how well all of the CB interviewers would think you interviewed.

TheoO

Silver

Postby TheoO » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hm. Shouldn't grades be a factor when considering whether to 1) offer the screening interview and 2) then offer the callback? It just seems like it would be a waste of time and money for the firm to invite someone for a callback and still consider their grades. I thought it would just be how well all of the CB interviewers would think you interviewed.

If a firm really cares about grades, it will still consider them, just that now it's less of a concern. But you are still competing against others, so grades can still be used as a distinguishing factor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:09 pm

hrvcqrv wrote:I have a callback with a big firm in NY this coming week. My grades aren't necessarily in their grade range, but since I received a callback with them, does that mean now its more about "fit" than my credentials? Any CB advice is also appreciated.

I think it depends on the firm, to be honest. From personal experience, my grades were a little low for both of the V10 firms I received offers from but they weren't even discussed during my screeners or CBs. Because of my grades, however, I approached the process by emphasizing the parts of my application that were more impressive (e.g., work experience) and I guess it worked.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hm. Shouldn't grades be a factor when considering whether to 1) offer the screening interview and 2) then offer the callback? It just seems like it would be a waste of time and money for the firm to invite someone for a callback and still consider their grades. I thought it would just be how well all of the CB interviewers would think you interviewed.

Not really. It's like a totality of the circumstances thing. They are a factor to 1 and 2. they are also a factor after the CB. The hiring committee or partner have often never even seen your materials until after your CB. I dont see why this is so hard to understand.

Joe comes in with a 3.5, our minimum GPA. Screener person likes Joe a lot. CB. At the CB, his interviewers give him an average score of 3 out of a possible 5.

He will not get an offer. But John, who had a 3.7, and also had an average of 3 out of 5 will get the offer.

I am at a v30 firm. This is how we do it.

edit: TheoO from above said it well too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:14 pm

(source: on recruiting committee at v10)

Grades are not a deal breaker after OCI. But they still matter. Someone with lower grades has to sell themselves more than someone with above average grades.

Return to “Legal Employment�