Derailed

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Derailed

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:(takes out big DENIED stamp)

Derailment isn't the same as not giving the OP the answer he wants to hear, but oh well. (I thought JD's answer was particularly good.)

It seems like i cant get the message across that it is not about me (yes i am entitled douchebag i will accept this criticism, so lets get past this) but rather does it say anything about the firm, i.e. is this the type of a firm where it wont value its associates? Is it willing to invest and develop its new associates? NYC was a bad example. I have never had a firm not offer to pay for parking in downtown skyscraper, and this isnt NYC or SF. Parking is an issue at any large metro but not this locarion. Price is usually 10-15 bucks for all day parking but never more than 15. It just sort of sent a wrong message I thought. Sure the firm is smaller than most other firms in the building, but wouldnt they just be more careful in selecting who to interview and use parking validation more selectively?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Derailment isn't the same as not giving the OP the answer he wants to hear, but oh well. (I thought JD's answer was particularly good.)

Yeah. Aside from the inevitable TLS snark, I thought the responses were largely on topic. There was less "derailment" than usual.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It seems like i cant get the message across that it is not about me (yes i am entitled douchebag i will accept this criticism, so lets get past this) but rather does it say anything about the firm, i.e. is this the type of a firm where it wont value its associates?

Only a couple of folks suggested that you were an entitled douchebag. Most of the posts have suggested or explained that the practices of small firms are different than the practices of big law firms. But you seem incapable of engaging/understanding that concept for some reason. Good luck with your interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:01 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It seems like i cant get the message across that it is not about me (yes i am entitled douchebag i will accept this criticism, so lets get past this) but rather does it say anything about the firm, i.e. is this the type of a firm where it wont value its associates?

Only a couple of folks suggested that you were an entitled douchebag. Most of the posts have suggested or explained that the practices of small firms are different than the practices of big law firms. But you seem incapable of engaging/understanding that concept for some reason. Good luck with your interviews.

Well considering an admin/mod chimed in and thought nothing of trolls derailing the thread it took a while to figure out who wasnt giving trolling advice. But point taken, smaller firms operate differently and cant afford to incentivize talents early on.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It seems like i cant get the message across that it is not about me (yes i am entitled douchebag i will accept this criticism, so lets get past this) but rather does it say anything about the firm, i.e. is this the type of a firm where it wont value its associates? Is it willing to invest and develop its new associates? NYC was a bad example. I have never had a firm not offer to pay for parking in downtown skyscraper, and this isnt NYC or SF. Parking is an issue at any large metro but not this locarion. Price is usually 10-15 bucks for all day parking but never more than 15. It just sort of sent a wrong message I thought. Sure the firm is smaller than most other firms in the building, but wouldnt they just be more careful in selecting who to interview and use parking validation more selectively?

No, honestly, they will expect applicants to pay for their own parking, which (as JD so clearly explained) is standard in professional hiring outside of biglaw. They may even expect associates to pay for their own parking. Small firms are not operating on the same standards as biglaw at all, and it doesn't say anything about the firm. I really don't think that parking should be considered as incentivizing talents - that's really not what this is about.

(Although to be fair: if small means = branch office of biglaw firm maybe it's a different experience than if small = 10-attorney local firm. Once you interview you will be able to get a sense of whether not paying for parking is part of an overall frugality that may or may not reflect finances, or whether it's just standard for this part of the industry. But you can't presume anything at all about it at this point. It's not unusual outside of biglaw.)

Though for the record, thinking your question is stupid is not the same as trolling. My question to you - have you had any contact with small firms before? - was serious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:16 pm

Anonmouse - yes I have but not in downtown so parking was never an issue

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well considering an admin/mod chimed in and thought nothing of trolls derailing the thread it took a while to figure out who wasnt giving trolling advice. But point taken, smaller firms operate differently and cant afford to incentivize talents early on.

They don't know you. They don't know what talent you may or may not have. It has nothing to do with "incentivizing talent." It's just not standard practice and reflects nothing about the firm either positively,or negatively.

Return to “Legal Employment�