Help me pick what CBs to cancel

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help me pick what CBs to cancel

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:00 pm

I swear I am not trying to troll, please any insight is helpful.

My goal: good corporate work (I like the idea of cap markets and securities, but I'm pretty open to whatever), and as nice of a biglaw environment as I can get. I'm not huge into the whole "free market" work allocation setup. I also don't want to be pigeon holed into anything right away.

I currently have an offer at Covington. I'm looking to cancel about half of my other CBs. Please let me know any advice on which I should cancel. Again I promise this is not flame.

Skadden NYC
Cahill NYC
Orrick nyc
Willkie Farr NYC
Greenberg traurig NYC
Proskauer NYC
Davis Polk NYC
Cleary Gottlieb NYC
White & case NYC
Mil bank NYC
Cadwalader DC
Wilson sonsini DC

Anonymous User

Re: Help me pick what CBs to cancel

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Davis polk is the best firm on your CB list for your practice area preference, followed by Cleary and Skadden. Definitely keep those three. Any of those three have better corporate work than Covington. I'd also keep Milbank, Cahill, and Wilson Sonsini DC (although not for corporate finance/securities, this would only be if you wanted DC and were more flexible). The rest are probably superfluous now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Davis polk is the best firm on your CB list for your practice area preference, followed by Cleary and Skadden. Definitely keep those three. Any of those three have better corporate work than Covington. I'd also keep Milbank, Cahill, and Wilson Sonsini DC (although not for corporate finance/securities, this would only be if you wanted DC and were more flexible). The rest are probably superfluous now.

Thank you!! So orrick/Willkie/proskauer/Greenberg/Cadwalader/and W&C are your recs to drop. Do you have any insight on culture/atmosphere for any of these? I have heard skadden is awful

ChildWithADove

New

Postby ChildWithADove » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:20 pm

You have an offer at Covington NY or DC?

I'd definitely keep Davis and Cleary. Those two have solid corp. practices and solid firm culture.

I'd def. cut Orrick, GT, Prosk., Mil., and Cad. I don't know know anything about Wilson.

It's a bit of a toss up for Skadden, Cahill, Willkie, and White & Case. Covington is a top notch firm, but its not that big of a player in corp. law, which you indicated you want to do. Skadden has a very strong corp. practice, but, given your comments on the eat-what-you-kill style of law firm, it doesn't sound like you would be very happy there. Cahill doesn't have as much general prestige as Covington, but I have heard relatively positive things of their firm culture and their corp. practice is very strong. Same for WC. So I'd probably do the callback and come ready with some heavy probing questions for these firms. Really figure out if you would be happy at Skadden, for example.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:36 pm

ChildWithADove wrote:You have an offer at Covington NY or DC?

I'd definitely keep Davis and Cleary. Those two have solid corp. practices and solid firm culture.

I'd def. cut Orrick, GT, Prosk., Mil., and Cad. I don't know know anything about Wilson.

It's a bit of a toss up for Skadden, Cahill, Willkie, and White & Case. Covington is a top notch firm, but its not that big of a player in corp. law, which you indicated you want to do. Skadden has a very strong corp. practice, but, given your comments on the eat-what-you-kill style of law firm, it doesn't sound like you would be very happy there. Cahill doesn't have as much general prestige as Covington, but I have heard relatively positive things of their firm culture and their corp. practice is very strong. Same for WC. So I'd probably do the callback and come ready with some heavy probing questions for these firms. Really figure out if you would be happy at Skadden, for example.

This is so helpful, thanks much. I do like Cahill but I've heard they have a very autonomous culture with basically no structure or mentoring, which makes me nervous

ChildWithADove

New

Postby ChildWithADove » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ChildWithADove wrote:You have an offer at Covington NY or DC?

This is so helpful, thanks much. I do like Cahill but I've heard they have a very autonomous culture with basically no structure or mentoring, which makes me nervous

No firm is perfect. But Covington is a very impressive firm. With an offer in hand from them, the tables have turned. You can stand to be much more aggressive with probing questions on firm culture, work-life balance, etc. with firms like Skadden, Cahill, Willkie, etc. I would keep your CB more conservative for Davis and Cleary.

Return to “Legal Employment�