Do recruiters tattle? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do recruiters tattle?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Rising 3L. Got a return offer from the firm that I summered with. I want to email the recruiters at a couple of firms that do top-notch work in my practice area of interest to see if they are still hiring. Has anyone heard of recruiters passing along names of people who are trying to shop around?

I don't think my firm can retract its offer because I shopped around, which seems reasonable, but it would be good to know if recruiters would inform my firm that I applied to other firms.

Anonymous User

Re: Do recruiters tattle?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Also interested in this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:30 pm

They need to call your 2L firm for a reference/verification of employment. Or else the new firm would be liable for negligent hiring, if something were to go wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Would this call be made during the initial interview process or when the new firm extends an offer?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They need to call your 2L firm for a reference/verification of employment. Or else the new firm would be liable for negligent hiring, if something were to go wrong.
Pretty sure this is BS since the bar already does this, and no firms during 2L OCI call 1L SA firms to verify anything. Nice use of anon too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:24 pm

It seems extremely unlikely to me that any recruiting person would ever consider calling a candidate's 2L firm until after, if ever, a candidate accepted an offer from the new firm.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:58 pm

I was successful in switching firms as a 3L. I did 10 or so interviews and none of the prospective firms contacted my summer firm. The only firm that would have was Cravath, had they decided to extend an offer. Cravath gives you a form to sign acknowledging this.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:44 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They need to call your 2L firm for a reference/verification of employment. Or else the new firm would be liable for negligent hiring, if something were to go wrong.
Pretty sure this is BS since the bar already does this, and no firms during 2L OCI call 1L SA firms to verify anything. Nice use of anon too.
They'll almost certainly do it, but it will be after you accept an offer as part of their background check. But definitely LOLed at 'negligent hiring.'

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”