Polygraph?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Polygraph?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:49 am

Do they polygraph test you for the US Attorney Office if you are trying to be an AUSA? Also do they polygraph for the NY or CA bar? I have nothing to hide. But I am a generally nervous person, and I heard people fail if they are generally nervous.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Re: Polygraph?

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:50 am

You'll be fine if you have nothing to hide but your post makes it seem like you have something to hide.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:59 am

NY Bar does not polygraph and I'm 99% sure CA bar doesn't either.

h2go

Bronze

Postby h2go » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:03 pm

CA Bar does not polygraph.

oshberg28

Bronze

Postby oshberg28 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:You'll be fine if you have nothing to hide but your post makes it seem like you have something to hide.

Not necessarily - nerves can mess with it, speaking from personal experience.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Based on the number of high achieving attorneys who are generally nervous and/or unfathomably awkward I cannot imagine being that way would pose a problem for polygraph purposes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks everybody. And no, I literally don't have anything to hide. I have heard of people failing because they are just nervous. What about USAO?

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 pm

I enjoy hijacking threads. I had a couple of cases involving polygraphs and talked to a few experts to learn a bit more how they work. Some interesting points that were relayed to me:

1. It is very difficult to "beat" a polygraph. However, it is relatively common to indicate deception on a polygraph even if you are not actually being dishonest. That is why in many jurisdictions the results are not admissible.

2. Interrogators like to use polygraphs because they will often lie and bully the subject into a confession. For instance, there nothing to prevent the police from telling someone they failed, even if they did not. Further, they like to tell people they "really" failed it or it is clear that they are lying in an attempt to gain leverage.

3. The basic principle of a polygraph is to ask you a series of control questions and gauge your responses. First, they will ask you a very simple question with only one right answer, such as "are the lights on in this room" They will also ask you to deliberately tell a lie, like to say that the number following 4 is 6 or something. Where it gets more interesting is they will ask you a question that everyone will likely lie about, but it is not that big of a lie. Something like "Have you ever, in your life, been less than 100% honest with a close friend." Most people will say No and most likely are lying. If someone answers yes, they will then follow up asking for specifics. Then the question will be rephrased as "With the exception of the event you just told me about, have you every been less than 100% honest with a close friend" Again most people will say No and be lying. Finally, they will ask you the real question, like "Have you ever done illegal drugs" The theory is that you are clearly lying if the needles move more when you answer this question compared to that of the "lesser" lie.

I am sure there is more to it, but pretty interesting stuff.

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Postby TheProsecutor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 pm

there's no polygraph for AUSA employment.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:48 pm

As George Costanza advised, "it's not a lie if you believe it." I passed the polygraph for the CA bar by convincing myself that I had not embezzled tens of thousands of dollars from Starbucks.

Return to “Legal Employment�