No Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:19 am

Split my summer and got no offered by one of the firms. Is it the right move just to accept the other offer, remove the no offer firm from my resume and pretend it never happened? There would not be an awkward gap or anything if I did this.

Toni V

Bronze

Re: No Offer

Post by Toni V » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:23 am

At summer’s end you had worked at 2 firms. You selected one of the two firms. End of story.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:25 am

I mean I'd definitely think about taking the offer you do have, that part seems smart. But why take the other one off. You worked there and if asked why you picked one over the other hopefully you can have some reason other than "it was all I had" that elides the no offer in a less misleading way

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:27 am

you can do whichever you want (leave no offer firm off or leave it on and do what Toni said) but i'd probably do wht Toni said
e: actually on 2nd thought no one's gonna give a shit where you summered anyways.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:56 am

OP here. Definitely planning on accepting the offer- it's with a V50 firm I really like, but am hoping to interview for clerkships soon.

Super shitty feeling anyway though. Really feel for people who weren't lucky enough to have the insurance policy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:01 am

What was the reason for the no offer, can you guess? Was it kind of a yield-protect (?) thing? or did you really mess up something?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Split my summer and got no offered by one of the firms. Is it the right move just to accept the other offer, remove the no offer firm from my resume and pretend it never happened? There would not be an awkward gap or anything if I did this.
I don't understand why you would remove the second firm from your resume. You could only accept on offer at one of the two firms anyway, right? No one has to know that you were no-offered at the other firm. No one will ever ask about this during an interview.

Also, leaving recent legal work off of your resume--which you will have to disclose during conflicts at any place that extends you an offer--is weird.
Last edited by rpupkin on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:12 am

OP here. Thanks for the replies. I'll just leave it on then.

Saw the no offer coming during midsummer review. Time with the firm was too short to turn things around in the couple weeks left. It was some work product issues that were partially my fault and partially because I wasn't fully integrated (orientation etc.) but also suddenly had multiple assignments due in a very short period of time (2 of which were in practice areas I had expressed 0 interest in).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:34 am

OP here one last time: this won't matter for the bar or anything right? If I need a reference from the no offer firm or something?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here one last time: this won't matter for the bar or anything right? If I need a reference from the no offer firm or something?
Won't matter. If you embezzled money from the firm, that would be a problem. But if the firm just thinks you're incompetent, it won't affect your bar application at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:41 am

Excellent. Can confirm I did not embezzle from the firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”