Reaching out to Recruiters for career advice/guidance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reaching out to Recruiters for career advice/guidance?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:46 am

I'm halfway through a 2 year government fellowship and considering my options. I was thinking about reaching out to a recruiter (at a big recruiting firm like Major Lindsay Africa/Lateral Link) and asking a consultant if they'd be willing to review my resume and provide some insight into how competitive I would be in applying for employers they work with. Is this appropriate? I'd be willing to use the recruiter if and when I decide to make the move, but I know they work on commission and I'm essentially asking for free advice. Does it help if the recruiter is an alum of my law school?

Anonymous User

Re: Reaching out to Recruiters for career advice/guidance?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:13 am

bumping. anyone??

johndhi

Bronze

Postby johndhi » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:38 pm

yes, that's appropriate. they work for you. tell them not to submit your resume without your prior written consent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:02 am

Yes, that it is customary to do what you are describing. But be careful, some of the recruiters are loose cannons.

Return to “Legal Employment�