Do firms reimburse hotel/travelling costs for screening interviews?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms reimburse hotel/travelling costs for screening interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Have to fly to another city to do a screener this week. Haven’t got any email about reimbursement so far. Not sure if I should ask the HR about it.

Anonymous User

Re: Do firms reimburse hotel/travelling costs for screening interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Not for screeners, in my experience. Only CBs.

gk101

Gold

Postby gk101 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:50 pm

Almost never for screeners.

november3

New

Postby november3 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:00 pm

A V20 is reimbursing my driving costs (~2 hrs each way) to a screener at one of their CA offices. But, they sent the reimbursement form with the confirmation email.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:44 pm

Did they ask you to fly in/provide you with a travel agent or did they say "let us know if you can be in town on X date"? If the latter, probably not reimbursed.

ChildWithADove

New

Postby ChildWithADove » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:56 pm

2014 wrote:Did they ask you to fly in/provide you with a travel agent or did they say "let us know if you can be in town on X date"? If the latter, probably not reimbursed.

Agree. If you said you would be in town, the travel is likely on you. That said, unless the firm was upfront with reimbursement info (which, here, it was not), I would wait until after you hear back if you got an offer / rejection to approach them for reimbursement. If you get a rejection, the worst thing that happens is they say no. If you get an offer, they will be courting you. You don't want to ask for unreasonable reimbursements, but if it is at all grey area, I would def. ask.

Toni V

Bronze

Postby Toni V » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have to fly to another city to do a screener this week. Haven’t got any email about reimbursement so far. Not sure if I should ask the HR about it.

Firms usually have a travel agent (sometimes in house) that make all the arrangements. If they do not bring it up, just ask…. “will someone be in touch regarding the travel arrangements?” At least you’ll know upfront.

Return to “Legal Employment?