Public Interest exit to private or elsewhere Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Public Interest exit to private or elsewhere

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Just graduated without a job.

I might be able to get an offer at a non-profit. It's not a small place (think ACLU, Public Counsel, etc.) and the work is somewhat relevant to what I want to do. I'm planning on doing this for 2-3 years.

Would it be feasible to exit into private practice or government positions?
Essentially what type of "exit options" are available for public interest?

Anonymous User

Re: Public Interest exit to private or elsewhere

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:09 am

The EEOC in San Francisco had a couple trial lawyers that came from the ACLU and a similar nonprofit. I'm at a plaintiff side employment firm now and one of the new associates came from a nonprofit where she did housing rights litigation. Your exit options could be fine if you work on building real experience so that you can market yourself effectively.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Public Interest exit to private or elsewhere

Post by Nebby » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:13 am

If you're competent then your exit options are wherever your skill set and practice area experience coincide. Government can always be entered from nonprofit. It's possible to go into private practice, but takes a little more hustle and/or a marketable pedigree.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”