Prosecution Experience Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Prosecution Experience Question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm a rising 2L transfer at a T20. I was not able to land an internship over the summer at a DA's office, so I interned with a Judge. I ended up transferring late so I had to drop the DA Fall internship that I had lined up at my previous school, but was able to snag another judicial internship for the fall this year. My question is this: Have I fallen behind too much because I don't have any experience in a DA's office? The earliest that I will be able to get any experience in a prosecutors office is the Spring of my 2L year (and obviously there is no guarantee I will be able to get this). Am I still on a good path with judicial internships or do I have a lot of ground to catch up on those that already had 1L summer experience at a prosecutor's office? My biggest concern is that when I start applying for a summer DA internship I won't get considered because I don't have any prosecution experience.

Anonymous User

Re: Prosecution Experience Question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2L transfer at a T20. I was not able to land an internship over the summer at a DA's office, so I interned with a Judge. I ended up transferring late so I had to drop the DA Fall internship that I had lined up at my previous school, but was able to snag another judicial internship for the fall this year. My question is this: Have I fallen behind too much because I don't have any experience in a DA's office? The earliest that I will be able to get any experience in a prosecutors office is the Spring of my 2L year (and obviously there is no guarantee I will be able to get this). Am I still on a good path with judicial internships or do I have a lot of ground to catch up on those that already had 1L summer experience at a prosecutor's office? My biggest concern is that when I start applying for a summer DA internship I won't get considered because I don't have any prosecution experience.

I'm a rising 4P who realized way too late that I wanted to drastically change focuses (went into school for one very private-practice-oriented thing, now want to go do something public interest), who has no real excuse for why I didn't apply for internships sooner, other than "I didn't know" and "I didn't know these were open to people who work during the day", and who started looking for DA internships after my 2L year basically ended. I have a semester internship with a prominent DA office this coming fall, and have an interview with at least one regional office (other than the one with which I have the internship; the other office doesn't even know yet that I'm doing the internship). Whether or not I'll actually get the job is another story, but this is to say, if I could still land an internship with literally no pros experience, I'm sure you can too. Try for the spring, and use whatever experience you did get as "proof" that you'll be an asset to the team in the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Double-post.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:11 pm

I am also a rising 2L at a t25 and I interned for a judge this summer with no prior prosecution experience. I have interviewed with 4 DA offices for summer of 2017 and each office thought that my experience with a judge was invaluable because it put me in the courtroom every day. I think you are in a fine position and I wouldn't worry at all.

Return to “Legal Employment�