How to negotiate an offer after summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to negotiate an offer after summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:37 am

I work at a small boutique firm. We work on a contingency basis and make quite good amount of money. The working environment is pretty good.

My question is when the firm works on a contingency basis and the candidate (me) has a good leverage in terms of language skills that the firm is eagerly looking for and has made a very good impression during the summer, is there any way I can negotiate to up the salary?

My second question is Is it all base salary plus bonus or the base salary plus % of the contingency that associates make? Does anyone know the salary range for this type of firms?

Anonymous User

Re: How to negotiate an offer after summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:51 am

I have a somewhat different question about negotiating an offer. I didn't summer at the firm, but got the offer 3L. I have an offer for x city, but I really want Y city. However all of the interviews were conducted in x city, and a partner from x city signed my offer letter. If I try to push for y, do you think they might revoke?

Anonymous User

Re: How to negotiate an offer after summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a somewhat different question about negotiating an offer. I didn't summer at the firm, but got the offer 3L. I have an offer for x city, but I really want Y city. However all of the interviews were conducted in x city, and a partner from x city signed my offer letter. If I try to push for y, do you think they might revoke?

NALP guidelines won't let the firm revoke. You have 28 days of freedom to negotiate, so it can't hurt to ask.

Return to “Legal Employment�