Book Recommendations for New Lawyers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ls23

New

Book Recommendations for New Lawyers

Postby ls23 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:51 pm

I was wondering if anyone has books that they would recommend for new associates entering big law. Going into transactional work, so not really looking for books aimed at court/litigation skills. Just looking for any books that may be good reads for succeeding at firm life, early skills, planning ahead for your legal career, etc. Pretty broad but figure I have some time so why not put it to some use. Thanks!

zot1

Gold

Re: Book Recommendations for New Lawyers

Postby zot1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:05 pm

I don't think you'll have time or energy for extra reading.

raptors_delight

New

Postby raptors_delight » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:34 pm

I've heard good things about a book with "Baby Sharks" in the title. On mobile and too lazy to look it up.

ls23

New

Postby ls23 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:06 pm

raptors_delight wrote:I've heard good things about a book with "Baby Sharks" in the title. On mobile and too lazy to look it up.

Swimming Lessons for Baby Sharks. Just looked it up. Amazon just led me to a bunch of other books that may be good for this off that search so thanks for the start!

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:58 am

The Bible. You might as well read about sins before you commit them.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:00 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:The Bible. You might as well read about sins before you commit them.

Lol

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:39 pm

What type of book do you like to read? Mysteries? Thrillers? Non-fiction history? Self help? Etc? Pick a title from one of those genres and read that.

cookiejar1

Silver

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:00 pm

I think one thing you've probably heard over your SA is that *good* transactional lawyers truly understand the *business needs* of their client or some similar sounding bullshit. As a result, my reading list has turned towards investment banking / finance books more often than not.

You should start with these if you haven't read them yet. They're punchy, fun and a good lazy read (and in order of my favorites):
  • Barbarbians at the Gate
  • Den of Thieves
  • Liar's Poker
  • When Genius Failed
  • Predator's Ball

Here are some books that I've read that are really law/biglaw focused:
  • Gods at War: Shotgun Takeovers, Government by Deal, and the Private Equity Implosion (by the "Deal Professor" on Dealbook. I really liked this one a lot.)
  • Tombstones: A Lawyer's Tales from the Takeover Decades
-- and more books that I've started but never finished mostly because I got bored of them . . .
  • Skadden: Power, Money, and the Rise of a Legal Empire
  • M&A Titans: The Pioneers Who Shaped Wall Street's Mergers and Acquisitions Industry
  • The Partners: Inside America's Most Powerful Law Firms (although the story about Shearman is an awesome read)

If you're working with PE/HF bros:
  • King of Capital
  • More Money Than God
-- would be down for more recommendations here (I haven't really read a good book on KKR yet)

If you haven't read them then you should at least be able to intelligently talk about the Big Short and Too Big To Fail too.

If you're curious about what your investment banking counterpart on the other line is doing:
  • Monkey Business
  • The Accidental Banker
  • AND if you like reading ATL and just want to read crass opinions there's that GSElevator book (straight to hell) which is more recent (but I haven't read) and "Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Banker" which is cheesy as hell but interesting to read (the perfect toilet companion book)
  • I also really enjoyed reading http://epicureandealmaker.blogspot.com/ for a banker's perspective on just . . . . things

Benjamin Graham's and David Dodd's Security Analysis is basically a textbook for IB analysts but I mean it's cool to flip through to get our "audience perspective" if you're doing a lot of securities work. I've honestly only read a couple of relevant sections to kill some time but whenever I did I always thought it was helpful.

I'm sure I have more books to recommend but I'm just going with what is currently in my iBooks library. If I feel inspired I'll look through my paperbacks and update this list.

alphamalek

New

Postby alphamalek » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:04 am

cookiejar1 wrote:I think one thing you've probably heard over your SA is that *good* transactional lawyers truly understand the *business needs* of their client or some similar sounding bullshit. As a result, my reading list has turned towards investment banking / finance books more often than not.

You should start with these if you haven't read them yet. They're punchy, fun and a good lazy read (and in order of my favorites):
  • Barbarbians at the Gate
  • Den of Thieves
  • Liar's Poker
  • When Genius Failed
  • Predator's Ball

Here are some books that I've read that are really law/biglaw focused:
  • Gods at War: Shotgun Takeovers, Government by Deal, and the Private Equity Implosion (by the "Deal Professor" on Dealbook. I really liked this one a lot.)
  • Tombstones: A Lawyer's Tales from the Takeover Decades
-- and more books that I've started but never finished mostly because I got bored of them . . .
  • Skadden: Power, Money, and the Rise of a Legal Empire
  • M&A Titans: The Pioneers Who Shaped Wall Street's Mergers and Acquisitions Industry
  • The Partners: Inside America's Most Powerful Law Firms (although the story about Shearman is an awesome read)

If you're working with PE/HF bros:
  • King of Capital
  • More Money Than God
-- would be down for more recommendations here (I haven't really read a good book on KKR yet)

If you haven't read them then you should at least be able to intelligently talk about the Big Short and Too Big To Fail too.

If you're curious about what your investment banking counterpart on the other line is doing:
  • Monkey Business
  • The Accidental Banker
  • AND if you like reading ATL and just want to read crass opinions there's that GSElevator book (straight to hell) which is more recent (but I haven't read) and "Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Banker" which is cheesy as hell but interesting to read (the perfect toilet companion book)
  • I also really enjoyed reading http://epicureandealmaker.blogspot.com/ for a banker's perspective on just . . . . things

Benjamin Graham's and David Dodd's Security Analysis is basically a textbook for IB analysts but I mean it's cool to flip through to get our "audience perspective" if you're doing a lot of securities work. I've honestly only read a couple of relevant sections to kill some time but whenever I did I always thought it was helpful.

I'm sure I have more books to recommend but I'm just going with what is currently in my iBooks library. If I feel inspired I'll look through my paperbacks and update this list.

Solid list. ^

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:15 am

Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England

Return to “Legal Employment�