NYC Big Law- where to live Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wons

Bronze

Re: NYC Big Law- where to live

Post by wons » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:55 am

Last edited by wons on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:58 am

Don't forget dat Second Ave subway
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biglaw Investor

New

Post by Biglaw Investor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:59 am

WolverineMachine wrote:Bump.

Is paying about $3K in rent for a studio completely unrealistic? Figure paying about another $1K or so in loans per month too.
Sure, you can find a studio for $3K. I strongly recommend that you reconsider starting off your life with a $3K rent payment though. I even wrote a whole article about it: mod edit: don't spam your blog.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:07 am

wons wrote: Yes, but you can live in the 60's or 70's on 3rd or 2nd, be 2 blocks from the IRT and walking distance to most of the Midtown East firms. With the benefit of tons of supermarkets, schools, laundries, daycares, etc etc . . . all the stuff that Queens lacks. Brooklyn's primary advantages are (1) being able to say you live in Brooklyn (a not insignificant point, but not worth what it costs IMO) and (2) nightlife / dining, which is vastly more important to someone who is single, in their 20s, and/or not working 250 hours a month.

When you move to NYC for biglaw, by far the most important thing to focus on is livability. You won't have the time or the mindset to deal with bullshit, including rodents, bugs, piles of trash in the summer, long commutes, and no goddamn dry cleaner worth a damn within 3 blocks of your house. The fact that the latest and sweetest bar or restaurant is an Uber ride away wont even move the freakin' needle if you are married.
You're being dramatic. No one who lives in Brooklyn Heights suffers from a lack of dry cleaners, I can assure you. There aren't anymore rats, bugs, or trash in Brooklyn than the UES. Nor has anyone thought Brooklyn Heights or, really, Boerum/Cobble Hill are that hip, at least not for about a decade or so. They're all full of people in their 30s pushing strollers. I wonder whether you've actually spent any time in these Brooklyn neighborhoods or if you just have a chip on your shoulder.

A lot of people who say they don't like NYC just don't like living in Manhattan and for those people, I'd just say, don't rule out Brooklyn. It's a little greener, a little lower lying, and a little calmer.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:18 am

Biglaw Investor wrote:

Is paying about $3K in rent for a studio completely unrealistic? Figure paying about another $1K or so in loans per month too.
Sure, you can find a studio for $3K. I strongly recommend that you reconsider starting off your life with a $3K rent payment though. I even wrote a whole article about it: Your Rent Has a Big Impact On Building Wealth.
Good read and food for thought. Paying rent blows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:22 am

Biglaw Investor wrote:

Sure, you can find a studio for $3K. I strongly recommend that you reconsider starting off your life with a $3K rent payment though. I even wrote a whole article about it: Your Rent Has a Big Impact On Building Wealth.
Isn't there a rule against promoting your shitty website here?

Live with roommates! Oh what great investing advice!

wons

Bronze

Post by wons » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:28 am

Last edited by wons on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:31 am

I'm paying $2k in rent per month and $3.5k per month in loans, so $3k in rent plus $1k in loans is totally realistic

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:32 am

Rahviveh wrote:
Biglaw Investor wrote:

Not in the alternate reality where 200k a year is the middle class
Yet in 1969, nearly fifty years ago, $200,000 was worth $1,297,722 in today’s dollars. And unfortunately the original AMT had a huge flaw: the exemption amount was not indexed to inflation. So while the original AMT aimed to tax the rich, today’s reality is that thousands of middle-class taxpayers are subject to AMT.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:33 pm

If you're willing to commute, then Astoria is a decent option. It's a fairly safe area. Forest Hills and Kew Gardens are also nice areas. Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights have gentrified (though there are still a few seedy sections in those neighborhoods- steer clear of the NYCHA projects). And like another person said, you can live in Jersey and take PATH or NJ Transit to the city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:56 pm

What about FiDi for working in midtown east? A friend of mine has a room opening up with reasonable rent. I'm single, mid 20s, so would be interested in a more lovely area

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about FiDi for working in midtown east? A friend of mine has a room opening up with reasonable rent. I'm single, mid 20s, so would be interested in a more lovely area
I don't think I've ever met anyone who enjoys living in FiDi. One of my college friends used to live there and he said the only saving grace was the 5 walk to work, which you won't even have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:28 pm

what about JC/hoboken? What's so bad about living there and working in midtown east? it's only a 35 min commute

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:30 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
Biglaw Investor wrote:

Yet in 1969, nearly fifty years ago, $200,000 was worth $1,297,722 in today’s dollars. And unfortunately the original AMT had a huge flaw: the exemption amount was not indexed to inflation. So while the original AMT aimed to tax the rich, today’s reality is that thousands of middle-class taxpayers are subject to AMT.
Upper-middle class is still middle class. And I'm not sure $200k is even UMC in NYC.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what about JC/hoboken? What's so bad about living there and working in midtown east? it's only a 35 min commute
In theory, but the PATH is fucking awful during peak commuting times.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what about JC/hoboken? What's so bad about living there and working in midtown east? it's only a 35 min commute
even worse than the 4/5?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
even worse than the 4/5?
Yes. Your commute would look more like 45 to an hour

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:24 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
Biglaw Investor wrote:

Upper-middle class is still middle class. And I'm not sure $200k is even UMC in NYC.
If you make $200,000 in NYC you are in the top 7% of earners. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... _rich.html

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:58 pm

MCFC wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
If you make $200,000 in NYC you are in the top 7% of earners. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... _rich.html
Hikko,
The only people who think 200k is the middle class or "upper" middle class are those who make 200k

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:08 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
MCFC wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Hikko,
The only people who think 200k is the middle class or "upper" middle class are those who make 200k
In that case, I wonder what's been happening to my checks.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:13 pm

MCFC wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
Biglaw Investor wrote:

Yea but if you're putting $3-4k monthly after-tax income to loans, structurally speaking that doesn't count as disposable income for comparative purposes, so you're really making more like $130k (with $3-4k as $5-6k pretax, or $60-70k annual deduction).

so according to that chart it's more like top 22%*
Last edited by jbagelboy on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:15 pm

top 11% still pretty pretty far from "upper" middle class

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:15 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:top 11% still pretty pretty far from "upper" middle class
I misread the chart, its more like top 22%. You add the rows.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:16 pm

To be UMC you have to be solidly top 10% in your region. Top 22% is flat middle class.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:18 pm

lol, in SF a first year associate isn't even top third income

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”