District Attorney Offices 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if any of the NYC DA's Offices give another chance to take the bar exam? (Ex. if you did not pass the July 2017 exam)
Especially for Queens, Manhattan, Nassau or Suffolk?

According to a post in the 2016 thread: if you fail July, DANY gives you February off paid to study. If you then fail February, you get July off unpaid to try for the third time. If you fail the third time, you're let go.

fauxpsych

Bronze

Postby fauxpsych » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:How would you guys answer this hypo:

130 lb. Teacher uses minimal force and forces a child's head to the student's table during a "head's down" session when dealing with an unruly class and the student. Student tells 230 lb father, father shoves teacher to the ground. Who do you charge and why?

These are the types of hypos that I found the scariest because at face they appear to require substantive knowledge or charging policies for your jurisdiction to reach an answer. The Brady/Giglio ones are more straightforward, comparatively. However, all you need to do is think about it, out loud, and explain your reasoning.

I had a similar hypo, in that it asked who to charge, and I bullshitted a couple of factors to apply (victim impact, potential future victim impact, chances of a favorable disposition, general public policy concerns, office resource cost to benefit, etc), Extra points if you can tie in a known policy of your office into it, (e.g. DA Thompson appears to have made it a point of his to charge all gun crimes, while disfavoring charging marijuana possession).

Just keep in mind,
NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY, YOU WILL BE CHALLENGED AND MADE TO FEEL LIKE SHIT. I treated these like very, very rude moot court.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:52 am

fauxpsych wrote:Just keep in mind,
NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY, YOU WILL BE CHALLENGED AND MADE TO FEEL LIKE SHIT. I treated these like very, very rude moot court.

And if they're not rude and you don't feel like shit . . . don't read into that either.

I must have won the interviewer lottery, because I never felt bad. And then I panicked because I didn't feel bad. I was fine.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:46 pm

1. Queens gives you at least one chance to retake, possibly more, especially if they like you.

2. NYC DA offices don't give you a whole lot of time to accept, especially if they're 'sniping' you. I got one week to accept my offer.

3. I'd charge the dad. I don't really see any criminality on the teacher's part.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:13 pm

So I passed the oral exam and am moving onto the selection interview. What can I expect during the selection interview? Is this the interview with the DA herself, or do DA offices usually have three interviews?

I am hoping they will just tell me if I got the job after the interview, it's not easy to keep traveling for interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I passed the oral exam and am moving onto the selection interview. What can I expect during the selection interview? Is this the interview with the DA herself, or do DA offices usually have three interviews?

I am hoping they will just tell me if I got the job after the interview, it's not easy to keep traveling for interviews.

Honestly, each office is different. Tough to tell without knowing. For me, I've never heard of an oral exam, or something called a selection interview.

adb201788

New

Postby adb201788 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are the California appliers doing? I just finished Santa Barbara's case examination question, and have an interview with Stanislaus this week.

What type of questions should I expect during the interview?

Is California recruiting from CA schools only? I haven't seen any posts/info on applying from out of state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:36 pm

What is going on with interviews this year? Nothing really on the thread so far about being contacted for first round

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is going on with interviews this year? Nothing really on the thread so far about being contacted for first round

My school's OCI interviews for the DA offices don't even start until next week. I got preselected for a few and still hoping against hope I'll get last-minute slots for the rest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:08 am

Folks I need some advice.

I just got an offer from a small DA office, one that I really wasn't expecting to go for because it's in the middle of no where. I just dgave a second interview at another office, for which I think I have a decent shot, it's a larger office as well.

Now the advice I have been given so far is to take the offer from the smaller office and to not wait for the possible offer from the larger office. The reason being is that the larger office would give me less opportunity to take on big cases early on, where as the smaller office would have more of those opportunities for a DDA1. Do you all agree? Right now I am inclined to go with the smaller office, I felt more comfortable with them in the interview where as the larger office felt more formal. I do like the idea of a larger office, slightly better pay, nice office rooms, but I feel my decision should be based more on where I feel like I would grow more. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:40 am

FWIW, it might be worth looking into what kinds of training each office offers. Getting more responsibility sooner may not be that helpful if there isn't any mechanism to train you properly. A smaller office could be good for mentoring but may just throw you in head first. Conversely, a larger office may have a more formal system for training that could be helpful - or might just throw you in head first.

Sunshine322

New

Postby Sunshine322 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Has anyone heard about second interviews from any of the NY offices yet? (Brooklyn, queens, bronx, )

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:29 am

Does anyone know when Queens asks for transcript (I am in the bottom of the class)
I have it interned with their office this summer and did trials as first chair. I have done 2 other internships and am doing a juvenile prosecution internship now.
I am hoping to hear back for a second round. Any advice?

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when Queens asks for transcript (I am in the bottom of the class)
I have it interned with their office this summer and did trials as first chair. I have done 2 other internships and am doing a juvenile prosecution internship now.
I am hoping to hear back for a second round. Any advice?

Queens will ask for a transcript second round and as part of the paperwork if/when you're hired. Assuming you did passable as an intern, you're automatically eligible for a second-round interview, but it's too early to be expecting one right now, as they're finishing up (or just finished) first-round interviews. If you don't hear anything by mid-October, you should call Helene and politely ask.

What advice are you seeking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:33 pm

I wanted to ask for advice for the second round. Since they will see my transcript- they will see some really bad grades (lowest c-).. but I do have a B+ in Evidence.
Is there a certain technique to answering the hypos? And what is the best way to make them focus more on my experience rather then what is on my transcript.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to ask for advice for the second round. Since they will see my transcript- they will see some really bad grades (lowest c-).. but I do have a B+ in Evidence.
Is there a certain technique to answering the hypos? And what is the best way to make them focus more on my experience rather then what is on my transcript.

Re: answering the hypos. don't be too concerned about getting the answer 100% correct. Hired ADAs won't know the correct answer, so they won't expect you to know it. Focus on your thought process -- what factors are you considering, what is the goal you're trying to achieve, how does your answer pursue that goal. Do you take an intellectual perspective, or do you think about the practical impact of your decisions.

Don't worry too much about your grades. If it comes up, you can tell them why, but really, the interviews are a see how good of a fit you are with the office. I'll tell you now that I got some pretty bad grades in 1L, including contracts and torts. When that came up in my interview, I laughed it off and said that's when I decided to become a prosecutor, as the civil side wasn't for me (yuk yuk). We moved on after that.

Honestly, just tell the truth. I got asked why I got such shitty grades 1L but showed an improvement my 2L year, and I told them I wasn't used to school and changed my studying habits, etc. In almost all of my interviews, when my grades did come up, they asked 1-2 questions about it, but then moved on.

Shiet, I'd just say what you said "Yeah, I got a C- in torts, but I'd rather focus on some of my internships..."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:00 pm

encore1101 wrote: Assuming you did passable as an intern, you're automatically eligible for a second-round interview, but it's too early to be expecting one right now, as they're finishing up (or just finished) first-round interviews. If you don't hear anything by mid-October, you should call Helene and politely ask.

You likely know much more about the current year's hiring process than I do, but Queens had extended second rounds to former interns prior to this point last year.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote: Assuming you did passable as an intern, you're automatically eligible for a second-round interview, but it's too early to be expecting one right now, as they're finishing up (or just finished) first-round interviews. If you don't hear anything by mid-October, you should call Helene and politely ask.

You likely know much more about the current year's hiring process than I do, but Queens had extended second rounds to former interns prior to this point last year.

I don't have a response to that, like I don't know if last year was unusual, or this year was unusual or that particular anon just didn't get a second round. Some bureaus lag in handing in their intern evaluations, which VC/HT would need before scheduling a second round. I'm outing myself here, but I personally know that Queens just finished/are finishing up first rounds.

If you're worried about it, speak with your fellow former interns and see if they have had a second round scheduled. If not, then there should be no problem for the time being. If they do have a second round scheduled, then I'd call HT and send a polite reminder.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:18 pm

Sunshine322 wrote:Has anyone heard about second interviews from any of the NY offices yet? (Brooklyn, queens, bronx, )

Brooklyn second round back in august

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:21 pm

Hi, I am the anon who asked about the Queens DA second round--- I did get an email saying (yesterday) that I will be hearing from them soon about scheduling an interview. Does anyone have any advice about the 2nd round at Queens?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Heads up that Brooklyn can call very late - I got my second-round call last year at 8:30pm on a Thursday after I'd had a few drinks in a loud bar. I think my heart stopped when the caller identified herself . . .

It's a (718) 250- number.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:56 am

not sure how many panels have been done yet, so i am keeping anon.
has anyone had a panel with 0 hypos. My panel had no hypos, and was mainly a resume review. Sound bad?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:11 am

same as above, it also ended with do you have any questions for us, you don't have to have any..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:not sure how many panels have been done yet, so i am keeping anon.
has anyone had a panel with 0 hypos. My panel had no hypos, and was mainly a resume review. Sound bad?

The office where i work at now didn't give me a single hypo across the entire multiround process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:39 pm

I had 2 at DANY (both second round), 1 in Brooklyn (second round), 2 in Queens (both third round).

I know of other people who had drastically different experience so it seems to be very much luck of the draw.

Return to “Legal Employment?