District Attorney Offices 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:50 pm

So much bronx movement. What's happening at the other offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nyclawgal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nyclawgal wrote:3rd round with Bronx DA on Thursday 12/22. Offer made next day 12/23 and given until 12/28 to accept. Hope this helps!

Congrats!! I had a 3rd round the week prior to your's so I'm not really holding my breath anymore :P

As long as you haven't heard otherwise, you're still in the running. No news really is good news :) Also, I'm already admitted so that could have been a factor. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

How much time passed between your panel interview with the Bronx DA and when they called you to schedule your 3rd and final interview? I had my panel interview in November and have yet to receive a phone call or snail mail regarding if I'll be given a final interview. Advanced thanks for the input.

Different anon, but I had my Bronx panel just before Thanksgiving and I heard back last week (with a phone call) to schedule my 3rd round interview.

Many thanks for your input.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Via a phone call or by snail mail (or perhaps by other means)?

I got a phone call

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Via a phone call or by snail mail (or perhaps by other means)?

I got a phone call

Great, thank you. One final thought -- any idea if your references were contacted leading up to when you received the call for your third interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I got a phone call

Great, thank you. One final thought -- any idea if your references were contacted leading up to when you received the call for your third interview?

Different anon but I had a 3rd round Bronx and I do not think they contacted my references before

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I got a phone call

Same anon, like different anon, as far as I know my references have not been contacted. I haven't directly asked any of them, but I'm super close with one and I image I would have been told by now if they had been called.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:21 pm

What are the chances at this point of moving to third round at the BXDA after a panel mid-october? Seems like people who have done panels way after have heard back about third round. I know no news is good news but this is disconcerting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are the chances at this point of moving to third round at the BXDA after a panel mid-october? Seems like people who have done panels way after have heard back about third round. I know no news is good news but this is disconcerting.

If it's been that long, I think I'd send off an email or make a phone call to request a status update on your application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are the chances at this point of moving to third round at the BXDA after a panel mid-october? Seems like people who have done panels way after have heard back about third round. I know no news is good news but this is disconcerting.

If it's been that long, I think I'd send off an email or make a phone call to request a status update on your application.

I did a few weeks back and they said it was pending. So frustrating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nyclawgal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nyclawgal wrote:3rd round with Bronx DA on Thursday 12/22. Offer made next day 12/23 and given until 12/28 to accept. Hope this helps!

Congrats!! I had a 3rd round the week prior to your's so I'm not really holding my breath anymore :P

As long as you haven't heard otherwise, you're still in the running. No news really is good news :) Also, I'm already admitted so that could have been a factor. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

How much time passed between your panel interview with the Bronx DA and when they called you to schedule your 3rd and final interview? I had my panel interview in November and have yet to receive a phone call or snail mail regarding if I'll be given a final interview. Advanced thanks for the input.

About 4 weeks after the panel interview.

nyclawgal

New

Postby nyclawgal » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nyclawgal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How much time passed between your panel interview with the Bronx DA and when they called you to schedule your 3rd and final interview? I had my panel interview in November and have yet to receive a phone call or snail mail regarding if I'll be given a final interview. Advanced thanks for the input.

Is that about the same for those who got their 3rd round in other offices too?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:03 am

Question about internships: Incumbent DA lost election to her challenger. A number of students were offered summer 2017 internships by the hiring manager. New DA cleaned house of management, including hiring manager - who noted that new DA has not indicated any plans for the summer 2017 internship program. Is the new DA likely to keep the incoming intern class? Or is it time to start sending out apps?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question about internships: Incumbent DA lost election to her challenger. A number of students were offered summer 2017 internships by the hiring manager. New DA cleaned house of management, including hiring manager - who noted that new DA has not indicated any plans for the summer 2017 internship program. Is the new DA likely to keep the incoming intern class? Or is it time to start sending out apps?

I would call someone to find out, off the record, what their plans are for the program, then call other offices to see if they could accept you because of the new circumstances. I wouldn't mention it directly in a cover letter unless someone tells you to, but I would definitely ask.

That being said, I would be shocked if they scrapped the internship program, I've seen 2 DA electon changes (different offices) and it's been the full time hires that were in jeopardy, not the unpaid interns.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Had a 3rd round Bronx interview yesterday, received an offer today.

nyclawgal

New

Postby nyclawgal » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a 3rd round Bronx interview yesterday, received an offer today.

Congrats!!! If you don't mind me asking, when do you start - September class?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:51 pm

nyclawgal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a 3rd round Bronx interview yesterday, received an offer today.

How long did they give you to take the offer?

I guess for those who did not get a call back the next day after the last round-- its over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess for those who did not get a call back the next day after the last round-- its over.

I'm pessimistic and think that's the case more or less. I know my interview day they had 30 interviews scheduled. Of those a small percentage are probably on TLS, and we've only heard of 2 or 3 offers now and they came the day after. I think most people are probably rejects for a first pick from the final round and the office will probably start trickling down offers to those who weren't first picks down the road. So I say more or less because we're rejects for the first pick but I don't think it's over until you get the snail mail rejection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Has anyone heard anything (offers, rejects, how many offers they intend to give out, etc.) from the Queens DA's office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I guess for those who did not get a call back the next day after the last round-- its over.

I'm pessimistic and think that's the case more or less. I know my interview day they had 30 interviews scheduled. Of those a small percentage are probably on TLS, and we've only heard of 2 or 3 offers now and they came the day after. I think most people are probably rejects for a first pick from the final round and the office will probably start trickling down offers to those who weren't first picks down the road. So I say more or less because we're rejects for the first pick but I don't think it's over until you get the snail mail rejection.

Last year Bronx hiring went all the way into July
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=249653&hilit=district+attorney+2016&start=675

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:29 pm

nyclawgal wrote:

Congrats!!! If you don't mind me asking, when do you start - September class?

Thank you! Yeah, I graduate May 2017.

To the other question, less than a week.

Also, for what it's worth, one of the people in the office told me that the DA had 27 interviews yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:13 am

First time posting...I had an interview with the Bronx DA on 12/22 got an offer on 12/23 and had to accept it by Wednesday of this week. I accepted!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
nyclawgal wrote:

How long did they give you to take the offer?

I guess for those who did not get a call back the next day after the last round-- its over.

This is definitely not the case

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Wanted to share my experience and I hope it helps.

TLDR (I had my 3rd/final round with the BXDA on 12/14/16 and received a call back the following morning with an offer)
-the BXDA gave me only until the following Monday to make a decision, so I ended up accepting.
-like most I wanted to leverage a possible offer to speed things along in other offices but I just didn't have the time.

I had my first round on 9/15/16 (outside of OCI)
I had my second round on 10/21/16
My final round was on 12/14/16

My references were contacted prior to my last interview.

While I don't necessarily agree with the notion that if you didn't receive a call back the following day after your last round with the BXDA, this generally seems to be the case. This happened to me as well as two other students from my school. Now, I will say this doesn't mean that you're out of the running, it just means that you probably are not a top priority pick at the moment (so don't lose hope).

If there are people who still have their third round coming up with teh BXDA, one thing I did during my interview that helped me stand out significantly was being able to explain my writing sample detail for detail. the DA flat out laughed at me and said "you really know your writing sample like that", at that point I knew I had the job.

Gluck ya'll and have a happy new year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Was I the only person that argued for more time to make a decision? Just because they give you a deadline doesn't mean you can't ask for more time to consider. They aren't going to revoke an offer because you want to shop around.

Remember, you are becoming a professional advocate, don't forget to advocate for yourself.

Also, why the fuck does it seem like BXDA is the only office hiring right now (outside that Suffolk poster)?

Return to “Legal Employment?