District Attorney Offices 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got my third and final round with bronx DA. Anyone have any last minute advice?

Congrats, I was a Johnson hire, but I've talked to laterals who interviewed with Clark.

It's going to be pretty short and I think the mood reflects the mood in your panel. I think if she sees that you had ball busters in your panels, she'll take it easy on you, whereas if she sees that you may have had an "easy" panel, she'll challenge you a little bit. I've also heard she asks about your writing sample. Her second in command, Dawson, will likely be there and may ask you a few things about your resume, but its her show.

At this stage the best advice I can give you is to relax. No one gets hired just because of their performance in those five minutes. You got yourself this far so trust yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got my third and final round with bronx DA. Anyone have any last minute advice?

When was your second interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:55 pm

They called me for the third round. And no they have not contacted my references yet. Thanks for the helpful advice, I heard that she asks most of the questions. I also heard that if they don't call you within two days of your third round to offer the job then you probably didn't get it. A few of my friends got offers from the bronx last week. I hope I'm the next one! My second round was end of october.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:They called me for the third round. And no they have not contacted my references yet. Thanks for the helpful advice, I heard that she asks most of the questions. I also heard that if they don't call you within two days of your third round to offer the job then you probably didn't get it. A few of my friends got offers from the bronx last week. I hope I'm the next one! My second round was end of october.

Thanks for the insight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:07 am

Anyone have any insight into 3rd round interviews with either Queens or Brooklyn?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:57 am

Are any of the NYC offices still accepting applications for ADA spots?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are any of the NYC offices still accepting applications for ADA spots?

I'm sure if you take the initiative to look at their respective websites, you'll find that their deadlines have come and gone. You can still try to apply. It also seems that Nassau DA has extended their deadline to Dec. 16.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are any of the NYC offices still accepting applications for ADA spots?

I'm sure if you take the initiative to look at their respective websites, you'll find that their deadlines have come and gone. You can still try to apply. It also seems that Nassau DA has extended their deadline to Dec. 16.

bronx is still taking applications despite the deadline passing. Try them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also heard that if they don't call you within two days of your third round to offer the job then you probably didn't get it.

I absolutely would not credit that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats, I was a Johnson hire, but I've talked to laterals who interviewed with Clark.

It's going to be pretty short and I think the mood reflects the mood in your panel. I think if she sees that you had ball busters in your panels, she'll take it easy on you, whereas if she sees that you may have had an "easy" panel, she'll challenge you a little bit. I've also heard she asks about your writing sample. Her second in command, Dawson, will likely be there and may ask you a few things about your resume, but its her show.

At this stage the best advice I can give you is to relax. No one gets hired just because of their performance in those five minutes. You got yourself this far so trust yourself.

Hi, I have my interview tomorrow morning-- do you have any advice for any questions I should ask her. (I guess this really depends on how much time is left of the interview) I wonder how many ADAs they will be taking for the class of 2017.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hi, I have my interview tomorrow morning-- do you have any advice for any questions I should ask her. (I guess this really depends on how much time is left of the interview) I wonder how many ADAs they will be taking for the class of 2017.

over 100.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

BXDA oldtimer here. Rumor has it that they are not impressed at all with what they've seen. Just come in there with a pulse and you will be ok.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

BXDA oldtimer here. Rumor has it that they are not impressed at all with what they've seen. Just come in there with a pulse and you will be ok.

Within third round interviews or overall?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Overall. Generally speaking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:35 am

Has anyone heard back with DANY or Queens? Received offers or heard back for second/third rounds?

Real desperate here...any status updates anyone please?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back with DANY or Queens? Received offers or heard back for second/third rounds?

I know Queens has started 3rd rounds, and at least a few people have previously posted about DANY already putting out a fair number of offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back with DANY or Queens? Received offers or heard back for second/third rounds?

Rejected from DANY after second round, snail mail. So no news is good news? Nothing from Queens screener in july, but i have heard of rejections.

Does anyone understand how hiring works for CA DA offices and the timeline for applying to them? thx

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:16 pm

It seems like there are three constants as applied to NYC ADA applications: 1) no news is good news 2) snail mail is bad news 3) a phone call is good news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:07 pm

I got rejected by snail mil from Queens back in october.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:09 pm

Generally-speaking, are there any trends people are seeing w/r/t what people are being asked in interviews, and whether or not they move on to the next round?

E.g., is it good or bad if you only get one hypo? Is it good or bad if you get three hypos? Is it good or bad if the interview is only 20 minutes? Is it good or bad if they ask you enough questions to fill an hour? Etc. Or is it really random and completely applicant-specific?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Generally-speaking, are there any trends people are seeing w/r/t what people are being asked in interviews, and whether or not they move on to the next round?

E.g., is it good or bad if you only get one hypo? Is it good or bad if you get three hypos? Is it good or bad if the interview is only 20 minutes? Is it good or bad if they ask you enough questions to fill an hour? Etc. Or is it really random and completely applicant-specific?

I was given one hypo at an NYC office. Went into the interview fully expecting to be eviscerated no matter what response I gave, but daaaamn they were convincing that I was an idiot for saying what I said (upon further reflection, I feel pretty good about the soundness of my legal reasoning).

Still waiting to hear back as to if I move on to a third interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Generally-speaking, are there any trends people are seeing w/r/t what people are being asked in interviews, and whether or not they move on to the next round?

I was given one hypo at an NYC office. Went into the interview fully expecting to be eviscerated no matter what response I gave, but daaaamn they were convincing that I was an idiot for saying what I said (upon further reflection, I feel pretty good about the soundness of my legal reasoning).

My 2/3rd round interview at an NYC office was maybe 2/3 "Are you sure you're interested in all this" and maybe 1/3 hypo with little pushback. Is this a good or bad sign? I assume they're worried I'm a flight risk?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My 2/3rd round interview at an NYC office was maybe 2/3 "Are you sure you're interested in all this" and maybe 1/3 hypo with little pushback. Is this a good or bad sign? I assume they're worried I'm a flight risk?

I'm not sure if a relatively light amount of push back on the hypo is a good thing or a bad thing. I certainly received a lot of push back on mine, but perhaps my panel just consisted of more abrasive interviewers (or, perhaps, I gave a response that was so bad that it merited a verbal assault :shock: ).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bronx ADA here.

I heard this too. The shocking thing was that there were so many people interviewing for OCI that had never taken crim pro. Like an interviewer reached out to the school to check that there wasn't a weird fluke that it wasn't offered for 2 semesters or overlapped with a required class.

Nope, people couldn't be bothered or lacked that commitment to criminal law.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bronx ADA here.

I heard this too. The shocking thing was that so many people were interviewing for OCI that had never taken crim pro. Like an interviewer reached out to the school to check that there wasn't a weird fluke that it wasn't offered for 2 semesters or overlapped with a required class.

Nope, people couldn't be bothered or lacked that commitment to criminal law.

Is it a big no-no to follow up with a phone call if it's been 3-4 weeks since a panel interview?

Return to “Legal Employment?