District Attorney Offices 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi Everyone. I figured I'd go ahead and pull the trigger here. I found last year's thread invaluable in learning about the process and updating each-other on progress.

Another iteration of this thread lists these offices as the Pre-Bar hiring Offices:

Cook County State's Attorney - Chicago, IL
Miami-Dade Office of the State Attorney - Miami, FL
Philadelphia District Attorney's Office - Philadelphia, PA
District Attorney of New York (Manhattan) - NY, NY
Bronx District Attorney - Bronx, NY
Nassau County District Attorney - Long Island, NY
Kings County District Attorney (Brooklyn) - Brooklyn, NY
Queens County District Attorney - Queens, NY
Suffolk County District Attorney - Long Island, NY
Suffolk County District Attorney - Boston, MA
King County (Seattle) - Seattle, WA


In addition, a fair amount of people in these offices tend to lurk here and likely would be able to address any questions. Personally, I was just hired at one of the NYC offices last year and start this fall. I'll be happy to give you guys some limited insight without "outing" myself.


Just to add one, Harris County District Attorney - Houston, TX hires pre-bar as well.

User avatar
MGH1989

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby MGH1989 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:35 pm

How marketable is a DA internship that will give me extensive substantive litigation experience under the 3rd year practice rule if I'm not necessarily a ADA gunner and decide that is not the route I wanna go? Will I be able to spin my summer to small and mid size firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:38 pm

How uncommon is it to be given both an initial interview and a second interview on the same day at the Bronx office? That's what I have coming up in a couple weeks. I'm assuming it's just an accommodation for me since I have to fly in for the interview? Advanced thanks for any input.

legallyblonde88

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby legallyblonde88 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Anyone have any advice going into Brooklyn/KCDA 2nd round Panel interview? I'm assuming they'll be asking about Brady and Giglio, anything else?

legallyblonde88

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby legallyblonde88 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How uncommon is it to be given both an initial interview and a second interview on the same day at the Bronx office? That's what I have coming up in a couple weeks. I'm assuming it's just an accommodation for me since I have to fly in for the interview? Advanced thanks for any input.


I'm doing the same thing in two weeks. (Flying out from the west coast). They told me that's a standard accommodation for us out-of-towners.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:26 pm

legallyblonde88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How uncommon is it to be given both an initial interview and a second interview on the same day at the Bronx office? That's what I have coming up in a couple weeks. I'm assuming it's just an accommodation for me since I have to fly in for the interview? Advanced thanks for any input.


I'm doing the same thing in two weeks. (Flying out from the west coast). They told me that's a standard accommodation for us out-of-towners.


Thanks for the input, best of luck to you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Does anyone know how the 3rd round with DANY functions? I keep reading that Manhattan is a bit different in the 3rd round from others, but the threads I keep finding say nothing more detailed other than that is definitely a formal round.

imranal191

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby imranal191 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the 3rd round with DANY functions? I keep reading that Manhattan is a bit different in the 3rd round from others, but the threads I keep finding say nothing more detailed other than that is definitely a formal round.


how was your second?
Last edited by imranal191 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:32 am

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:42 am

imranal191 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the 3rd round with DANY functions? I keep reading that Manhattan is a bit different in the 3rd round from others, but the threads I keep finding say nothing more detailed other than that is definitely a formal round.


how was your second?


pretty much straight hypos

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
imranal191 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the 3rd round with DANY functions? I keep reading that Manhattan is a bit different in the 3rd round from others, but the threads I keep finding say nothing more detailed other than that is definitely a formal round.


how was your second?


pretty much straight hypos


Any particularly memorable ones, or were they pretty standard/reasonable?

As a general question to anybody: I took constitutional crim pro, but haven't taken procedural crim pro yet. Are there any cases I should expect to have come up on the procedural side, that would be beneficial to read through and understand? I hear Brady and Rosario a lot, but are there others?

bballbb02

New
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby bballbb02 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Plead guilty to disorderly persons offense after brotherly fight in august 2011, recently expunged. Chances that it affects my employment opportunities in new York offices and NJ prosecutor offices? Regarding passing background checks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:58 am

@ person with 3rd round w/ DANY--Was your second round at DANY similar to the panel at other offices in NY? General ethical disclosure hypos?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:24 pm

has anyone received offers yet from Bronx DA or Queens DA? And has anyone heard back from Suffolk DA (NY)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@ person with 3rd round w/ DANY--Was your second round at DANY similar to the panel at other offices in NY? General ethical disclosure hypos?


Yup! Should/would you disclose kind of deal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
imranal191 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the 3rd round with DANY functions? I keep reading that Manhattan is a bit different in the 3rd round from others, but the threads I keep finding say nothing more detailed other than that is definitely a formal round.


how was your second?


pretty much straight hypos


Any particularly memorable ones, or were they pretty standard/reasonable?

As a general question to anybody: I took constitutional crim pro, but haven't taken procedural crim pro yet. Are there any cases I should expect to have come up on the procedural side, that would be beneficial to read through and understand? I hear Brady and Rosario a lot, but are there others?



Procedural crim procedure?

My school it was divided up between investigation(all about police contact) and adjudication (bail to jail).

You're not going to be expected to know Rosario really but definitely Brady/Giglio.

For NY I assume, because of rosario, so i would read Debour as a primer for police contact. You don't need much in depth knowledge.

I had a huge 20 minute hypo session last year when i did panels that touched on the legality of a highway stop, plain view, charging decisions, and a brady issue. They shifted facts around non stop, and would spot me the law when i was stuck.

The hypo is about seeing how you think, and how you present yourself under pressure.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
imranal191 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the 3rd round with DANY functions? I keep reading that Manhattan is a bit different in the 3rd round from others, but the threads I keep finding say nothing more detailed other than that is definitely a formal round.


how was your second?


pretty much straight hypos


Any particularly memorable ones, or were they pretty standard/reasonable?

As a general question to anybody: I took constitutional crim pro, but haven't taken procedural crim pro yet. Are there any cases I should expect to have come up on the procedural side, that would be beneficial to read through and understand? I hear Brady and Rosario a lot, but are there others?



Procedural crim procedure?

My school it was divided up between investigation(all about police contact) and adjudication (bail to jail).

You're not going to be expected to know Rosario really but definitely Brady/Giglio.

For NY I assume, because of rosario, so i would read Debour as a primer for police contact. You don't need much in depth knowledge.

I had a huge 20 minute hypo session last year when i did panels that touched on the legality of a highway stop, plain view, charging decisions, and a brady issue. They shifted facts around non stop, and would spot me the law when i was stuck.

The hypo is about seeing how you think, and how you present yourself under pressure.


Was this second or third round? What was the difference for you between the two rounds?

legallyblonde88

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby legallyblonde88 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm jumping the gun a little (a lot) here, but can any NYC locals talk about the pros/cons/need-to-know of any of the borough offices?

I'm originally from Brooklyn, before going to school out west, so i'm a more familiar with that office. I have 2nd/3rd round interviews with all the rest of the outer boroughs though and i'd love some insider's opinions before committing to an office (if i'm fortunate enough to have options!)

Any helpful thoughts/opinions are appreciated!

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:45 pm

The Bronx called my references the same day as my second round. Do they only call your references if you are going to advance to the next round or do they call references either way?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Bronx called my references the same day as my second round. Do they only call your references if you are going to advance to the next round or do they call references either way?


It's definitely a good sign that they moved so fast. I wouldn't say it's dispositive, but in my cycle in my school if your references were called, you went on to the next round.

This is why it's important to have your LoRs ready at your panel.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby zot1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:08 pm

MGH1989 wrote:How marketable is a DA internship that will give me extensive substantive litigation experience under the 3rd year practice rule if I'm not necessarily a ADA gunner and decide that is not the route I wanna go? Will I be able to spin my summer to small and mid size firms?


Usually, you get the experience that you seek. The more responsibility you want and show you deserve, the more likely you will be given more experience.

Doing great at a DAs office should help you post grad for the DA route, but competition is so fierce that it will still not be a guarantee.

I used my experience to leverage a government job dealing with civil law. I also have a friend who used her experience to go into a mid sized firm doing also civil stuff. So it's definitely doable. It'll depend on how you translate your experience to the firm and whether the skills are useful for them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:29 pm

NM*
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:34 pm

Anyone get offers from any of the offices in NYC yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Does anyone have offers from Philadelphia or Miami yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:24 pm

nm*



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.