District Attorney Offices 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi, thank you for the response. I did not get an email from them about what information they need. Do you know how many LORs they need?
And I will have a passport picture with me.
And any more tips about learning about the Bronx? I am surprised they would ask Bronx specific things...

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any advice for Bronx 2nd round and Queens 3rd round? Both interviews are coming up in a couple of weeks.

Unlike a lot of other places that I interviewed with, you are going to get a Bronx-oriented hypo. A hypo that is centered around your knowledge of certain Bronx areas. Like twenty minutes will be a hypo, but before that you will get questions about why Bronx and which other DA office you would choose over Bronx. Then you will receive an opportunity to ask questions.

I was really annoyed at the end of my panel interview. I did not get a good feeling about working there as an ADA.

Advice: know what the grand concourse is and how traffic flows in and around it. Be prepared with a good why Bronx answer and make sure you have your LORs and photo ready by the interview or you will be grilled by the interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:51 pm

I was surprised too, to be honest. I do not know if you will get the same or if your interviewer will do something different. But, do not be surprised if something like that happens. Maybe someone else can weigh in?

You need three LORs and a passport sized photo. That is all, unless you did not submit something when applying.

I hope someone else can weigh in about their second-round since mine did not go very well.

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, thank you for the response. I did not get an email from them about what information they need. Do you know how many LORs they need?
And any more tips about learning about the Bronx? I am surprised they would ask Bronx specific things...

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any advice for Bronx 2nd round and Queens 3rd round? Both interviews are coming up in a couple of weeks.

Unlike a lot of other places that I interviewed with, you are going to get a Bronx-oriented hypo. A hypo that is centered around your knowledge of certain Bronx areas. Like twenty minutes will be a hypo, but before that you will get questions about why Bronx and which other DA office you would choose over Bronx. Then you will receive an opportunity to ask questions.

I was really annoyed at the end of my panel interview. I did not get a good feeling about working there as an ADA.

Advice: know what the grand concourse is and how traffic flows in and around it. Be prepared with a good why Bronx answer and make sure you have your LORs and photo ready by the interview or you will be grilled by the interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, thank you for the response. I did not get an email from them about what information they need. Do you know how many LORs they need?

Anonymous User wrote:

no hypo for me during the second round. lots of questions about resume/past experiences and why Bronx DA.
not sure what to expect for the third round.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received a ding from Brooklyn last week through email, about a month after my interview.

Had second-round with Bronx; have not heard back yet from Queens or Manhattan either way.

For those who had Bronx second-rounds, have you already submitted your LORs and picture? I did not have either at my panel interview and my interviewer spent about 5 minutes telling me how important it was that I submit the picture. And, she made a few more passes at me throughout the interview for not submitting the photos or LORs. Did I mess up by not having those things ready by the panel interview?

I just had my second interview with the Bronx this past Friday (waited roughly a month for a second interview).

As a preliminary matter, the Bronx DA application process states pretty explicitly on their website that if you make it to the second round you need to submit three LOR's BEFORE your second interview. My interviewer also told me this during the first interview. So while my HR person sent me the confirmation email (explaining what is required), I knew to reach out to my references ASAP. Overall, I had roughly a week and three days to secure my LORs.

My interview consisted of three ADA's: 1) Pretty senior ADA, 2) a 2nd year-ish ADA, 3) an Appeals ADA. For the first 10-15 minutes asked about why I want to work at the Bronx DA, my experience, BE PREPARED TO TALK ABOUT YOUR WRITING SAMPLE!,

Then given a hypo (did include Bronx intersections and geographic references) but pretty general and straight forward; I however, also did not do too well with the first hypo. the second hypo I was able to recover.

Roughly the entire interview lasted 30-40 minutes.

*Also had my second round with Nassau today if ya'll are interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Has anyone heard about a second round with Philly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received a ding from Brooklyn last week through email, about a month after my interview.

Had second-round with Bronx; have not heard back yet from Queens or Manhattan either way.

For those who had Bronx second-rounds, have you already submitted your LORs and picture? I did not have either at my panel interview and my interviewer spent about 5 minutes telling me how important it was that I submit the picture. And, she made a few more passes at me throughout the interview for not submitting the photos or LORs. Did I mess up by not having those things ready by the panel interview?

I just had my second interview with the Bronx this past Friday (waited roughly a month for a second interview).

As a preliminary matter, the Bronx DA application process states pretty explicitly on their website that if you make it to the second round you need to submit three LOR's BEFORE your second interview. My interviewer also told me this during the first interview. So while my HR person sent me the confirmation email (explaining what is required), I knew to reach out to my references ASAP. Overall, I had roughly a week and three days to secure my LORs.

My interview consisted of three ADA's: 1) Pretty senior ADA, 2) a 2nd year-ish ADA, 3) an Appeals ADA. For the first 10-15 minutes asked about why I want to work at the Bronx DA, my experience, BE PREPARED TO TALK ABOUT YOUR WRITING SAMPLE!,

Then given a hypo (did include Bronx intersections and geographic references) but pretty general and straight forward; I however, also did not do too well with the first hypo. the second hypo I was able to recover.

do you know if recommenders address the letter of recommendation to Maria Rivero at the Bronx DA? And does it have to be in an envelop sealed? (Sorry for the stupid question)

legallyblonde88

New

Postby legallyblonde88 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:33 pm

For California Offices - anyone know what to expect for Sacramento or San Diego first round interviews? SD said it would be a "panel of DDA's" conducting the interview, but so far nothing more than that. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:46 pm

I've been waiting to hear from the Bronx for a while now, haven't even received a first round interview. However I made it to third round last year and when I call to check the status of my application I am just always told that it's still pending. Do you think they are just taking a really long time to reject me or what? Is it possible that I could be on reserve or even skipping a few rounds because I've interviewed with them the past 2 cycles?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Unlike a lot of other places that I interviewed with, you are going to get a Bronx-oriented hypo. A hypo that is centered around your knowledge of certain Bronx areas.

Are you living in the Bronx now? If not, how did you prepare for that? Just looking at Google Maps?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:12 pm

I'd definitely like to know more about Nassau, thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:09 pm

Is there hope at this point for DANY if you have not yet had a third round? Feel like I'm behind the curve with recently having had a second if they have started to make offers...

Also, for those that have had third rounds, what was the turn around time between 2 and 3?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard about a second round with Philly?

I had my panel with Philly last week - first round mid-end of September, got the panel interview email about two weeks after that. Now waiting to find out for an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there hope at this point for DANY if you have not yet had a third round? Feel like I'm behind the curve with recently having had a second if they have started to make offers...

Also, for those that have had third rounds, what was the turn around time between 2 and 3?

I just heard for a second round with DANY today, about 5 weeks after my first interview - I wouldn't worry too much!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I had my panel with Philly last week - first round mid-end of September, got the panel interview email about two weeks after that. Now waiting to find out for an offer.

Did they give you a timeline of when to expect a response or a method you would receive a response through?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did they give you a timeline of when to expect a response or a method you would receive a response through?

Yep, they told me they would get in touch with me around December. I don't really care about the method, but I think it'll be an email or phone call, based on the fact I got an email the last time around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Hey everyone, I'm not a law student and have applied to a to Brooklyn DA as a licensed attorney and was getting worried that I haven't heard back. Called to check my status and see if I was still being considered and was told yes it's just that they want to complete OCI interviews first. Person I spoke to told me to check back in a couple of weeks if I haven't heard anything.So don't lose hope if you are a post-grad candidate and haven't heard anything!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

do you know if recommenders address the letter of recommendation to Maria Rivero at the Bronx DA? And does it have to be in an envelop sealed? (Sorry for the stupid question)

^ not a stupid question. I reached out to jessica roberts on how to address the cover letters and she told me to just use her name in the addressing. I would clarify with her or whoever else you've been speaking with.

You can just have your recommenders email the recommendations too (this is much easier and quicker).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:44 am

Hi, I asked her and she said to address it to the DA. Now I am worried that I might have only 2 letters of recommendation by the time interview day comes. I know that will be bad, but I will try to send them the letter as soon as possible. I am getting a little nervous about how the interview will go. And then I will be getting ready for queens 3rd round.

Has anyone heard from nyda? I did not get through OCI but applied through their website. I called them a week ago and they said that the application is still under review.

And has anyone heard from Suffolk county (ny) da's office?

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

^ not a stupid question. I reached out to jessica roberts on how to address the cover letters and she told me to just use her name in the addressing. I would clarify with her or whoever else you've been speaking with.

You can just have your recommenders email the recommendations too (this is much easier and quicker).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:30 pm

Should I be worried that I haven't heard back from NYDA and Bronx for a second round interview? Had my first rounds at OCI at the beginning of the month.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I asked her and she said to address it to the DA. Now I am worried that I might have only 2 letters of recommendation by the time interview day comes. I know that will be bad, but I will try to send them the letter as soon as possible. I am getting a little nervous about how the interview will go. And then I will be getting ready for queens 3rd round.

Has anyone heard from nyda? I did not get through OCI but applied through their website. I called them a week ago and they said that the application is still under review.

And has anyone heard from Suffolk county (ny) da's office?

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am not sure how the interviewers will view late submissions of LORs but I'm sure if you explain the lack of communication they can overlook the possible lateness. Gluck!

and I got a ding from DANY about 2-3 weeks ago via snail mail. As far as I know, they've already given out a lot of offers and are fairly deep in the process. the good thing is if they say that your application is under view, It's actually under review.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd definitely like to know more about Nassau, thanks.

1st round, lasted roughly 30 minutes.

-interviewer was pretty senior and seemed to have made up his mind about me before the interview
-make sure you know everything about your resume, be prepared to talk about your experiences and things you did in your internships/jobs
-be prepared to talk about why you want to be a prosecutor/why you want to work at Nassau da
-got a small hypo, fairly simple one about brady/rosario (so review those cases prior to your interview)

2nd round, lasted roughly 45 min

-two interviewers, one attorney plays the bad cop.
-talked about resume again.
-they questioned me about my writing sample, gave me a hard time about it. make sure you remember the content of your writing sample.
-asked what makes you a great litigator, why nassau da, why prosecutor in general
-got two long hypos, questioned heavily. i definitely didn't do as well as i wanted to.
-got asked at teh end if the interviewers missed any questions that i wanted to answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should I be worried that I haven't heard back from NYDA and Bronx for a second round interview? Had my first rounds at OCI at the beginning of the month.

Bronx takes like 3-4 weeks, so I wouldn't be worried but def follow up.

NYDA is fairly quick so I might be worried a little but again follow up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:06 pm

Anyone with personal experience of DANY turnaround time between 2/3? Also, does DANY give offers to people without other pending offers at this point?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:01 am

Current Bronx ADA here. I've seen a bunch of you guys and gals on the elevators this month (wishing you good luck) and I figured I'd chip in to answer some questions. These few months of interviewing and not knowing where you'd end up (or if you'll get a job) were the most stressful to me in law school.

My timeline was first round end of Sept., second round mid November, and third/final round end of Nov. I didn't get offered until mid December.

Everyone's timeline is different. I think I was the first offer for people in my law school. I think late January was the last one. Going into December the process slows down because of all the holidays, so just remember as a general rule here "No News is Good News". People in my hiring class were getting offers well into March it seems.

I skimmed the thread and saw people were put off or felt like shit after the panel. This is par for the course, and was my experience as well. Really, at every office's panels. I hated my panel interviewers, but now that I know them I realize it's all for show. They are trying their damnedest to rattle you, to see how well you can keep your poise, and intelligently respond. They will read your LORs, resume, transcript, and application looking for pressure points, and will stomp all over them. I don't think I got a single hypo and the panel descended into us essentially sniping at each-other because I figured "what the hell" after 2 minutes. Know why prosecution and why Bronx. They know you'd be an idiot to only apply to the Bronx so be genuine in your answers. Don't try to bullshit them, you will fuck up.

As for the LORs and photo. It's obviously better to have them at your panel. You knew from the initial application that you'd need them and should have had enough time to assemble them. Pro-tip, when asking for a recommendation, offer to draft it. I gave all my references different draft letters with excerpts from past evaluations (if I had them) and then they edited it further. It makes the process go so much faster. Sealed or unsealed I don't think matters as they just opened them and read them in front of me. I forgot my passport photo the day of, but there's a passport photo place on 161st by the subway. Keep in touch with your references, if they are getting calls, it is likely that a third round interview is coming within a week (which is why it's better to have your LORs ready to go).

As for the third round, I had a DA Johnson interview but it was short and sweet. ~50% received an offer after this stage, but it's so short I honestly can't tell you specifically what I did that got me an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Current Bronx ADA here. I've seen a bunch of you guys and gals on the elevators this month (wishing you good luck) and I figured I'd chip in to answer some questions. These few months of interviewing and not knowing where you'd end up (or if you'll get a job) were the most stressful to me in law school.

My timeline was first round end of Sept., second round mid November, and third/final round end of Nov. I didn't get offered until mid December.

Everyone's timeline is different. I think I was the first offer for people in my law school. I think late January was the last one. Going into December the process slows down because of all the holidays, so just remember as a general rule here "No News is Good News". People in my hiring class were getting offers well into March it seems.

I skimmed the thread and saw people were put off or felt like shit after the panel. This is par for the course, and was my experience as well. Really, at every office's panels. I hated my panel interviewers, but now that I know them I realize it's all for show. They are trying their damnedest to rattle you, to see how well you can keep your poise, and intelligently respond. They will read your LORs, resume, transcript, and application looking for pressure points, and will stomp all over them. I don't think I got a single hypo and the panel descended into us essentially sniping at each-other because I figured "what the hell" after 2 minutes. Know why prosecution and why Bronx. They know you'd be an idiot to only apply to the Bronx so be genuine in your answers. Don't try to bullshit them, you will fuck up.

As for the LORs and photo. It's obviously better to have them at your panel. You knew from the initial application that you'd need them and should have had enough time to assemble them. Pro-tip, when asking for a recommendation, offer to draft it. I gave all my references different draft letters with excerpts from past evaluations (if I had them) and then they edited it further. It makes the process go so much faster. Sealed or unsealed I don't think matters as they just opened them and read them in front of me. I forgot my passport photo the day of, but there's a passport photo place on 161st by the subway. Keep in touch with your references, if they are getting calls, it is likely that a third round interview is coming within a week (which is why it's better to have your LORs ready to go).

As for the third round, I had a DA Johnson interview but it was short and sweet. ~50% received an offer after this stage, but it's so short I honestly can't tell you specifically what I did that got me an offer.

Thank you for sharing this info. I have my second round tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have only 2 LORs, one attorney needs some time (hopefully by next week)--- I am afraid of what will happen tomorrow but will do my best. I will read their press releases to get a good idea of the county.

Return to “Legal Employment?