District Attorney Offices 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:32 pm

They are by boroughs and new York County is new york city district attorney. It's basically the borough of Manhattan.
I applied to a few DA'S offices in CA but I didn't know if they were looking for current third years. What offices did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They are by boroughs and new York County is new york city district attorney. It's basically the borough of Manhattan.
I applied to a few DA'S offices in CA but I didn't know if they were looking for current third years. What offices did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?


Ahh I see thanks! And of course. The counties I know take pre-bar passage clerks (and pays) are Fresno, Orange County, Ventura, Sacramento, San Diego. A lot of other counties take pre-bar but they don't pay. I'm sure there are other counties that pay also, but they are hard to find.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:42 pm

Awesome thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a quick question regarding New York DA Offices. I am trying to be a Deputy DA in CA. This is more for my own curiosity. In CA, the different DA Offices are divided by county. I was wondering how New York DA Offices are divided? I keep hearing about different Burroughs, but that there is also a New York County DA's Office (DANY)? Thanks! I am legitly just curious.


Each borough is its own county but sometimes the county name and borough name is different. Brooklyn is Kings, Staten Island is Richmond, and Manhattan is New York. NB, all are considered within NYC and are considered NY City employees.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:16 am

Does anyone know what the 3rd Round at DANY is like? Any advice? Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the 3rd Round at DANY is like? Any advice? Thanks!


viewtopic.php?f=23&t=249653&p=9594717&hilit=district+attorney#p9594717

someone responded here. How long was the wait between the second rd and the third rd?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks so much! A week exactly. Good luck

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:41 pm

So I have not heard back from Queens, Brooklyn, or Manhattan about second-rounds yet. Is that a bad sign? I know DANY contacted my references last week, but have not heard back since.

I had DANY interview a little over two weeks ago, queens three weeks ago, and Brooklyn over a month ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I have not heard back from Queens, Brooklyn, or Manhattan about second-rounds yet. Is that a bad sign? I know DANY contacted my references last week, but have not heard back since.

I had DANY interview a little over two weeks ago, queens three weeks ago, and Brooklyn over a month ago.


So if you haven't heard from Queens that might be a good thing because I had my interview about two weeks ago with Queens and got denied by letter in the mail. I had my first round with Dany last week and I haven't heard anything from brooklyn. I think with Ken Thompsons passing the priority isn't going to be hiring for a bit.

pvnyc

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby pvnyc » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I have not heard back from Queens, Brooklyn, or Manhattan about second-rounds yet. Is that a bad sign? I know DANY contacted my references last week, but have not heard back since.

I had DANY interview a little over two weeks ago, queens three weeks ago, and Brooklyn over a month ago.


So if you haven't heard from Queens that might be a good thing because I had my interview about two weeks ago with Queens and got denied by letter in the mail. I had my first round with Dany last week and I haven't heard anything from brooklyn. I think with Ken Thompsons passing the priority isn't going to be hiring for a bit.


Did you have your second round with queens? Is so, can you share any thoughts on how it went? And how long after the interview did you get your letter?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:07 am

No just first round with Queens. But I heard they make you do an opening in second round.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:No just first round with Queens. But I heard they make you do an opening in second round.


Third round.

I heard about DANY second round six weeks after my first round, they contacted my references about three weeks after my first round. I was a former intern, so that may be an atypical timeline.

Murray78

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:14 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Murray78 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No just first round with Queens. But I heard they make you do an opening in second round.


Third round.

I heard about DANY second round six weeks after my first round, they contacted my references about three weeks after my first round. I was a former intern, so that may be an atypical timeline.


Have you had your third round yet? How'd it go? Any surprises?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Murray78 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No just first round with Queens. But I heard they make you do an opening in second round.


Third round.

I heard about DANY second round six weeks after my first round, they contacted my references about three weeks after my first round. I was a former intern, so that may be an atypical timeline.


Have you had your third round yet? How'd it go? Any surprises?


I was hired last cycle - for whatever it's worth, I had my third round by this point last year.

Someone noted above that DANY has made offers, so looks like they're moving faster this year than last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:48 pm

Stupid law school student alert:

So I decided at the last minute that I may want to be an ADA, and decided to try an internship during the fall of my 3L to figure out if that was a good decision. I now think it is.

But I think the deadlines to apply have passed for many of the offices in my jurisdiction. What can I do right now? Are there additional deadlines in the spring to apply? Should I try to get a clerkship and wind back into prosecution? Is there a different job that would be good to take?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:35 pm

I am pretty sure Suffolk County DA in Boston has a later deadline. Maybe the office you are currently interning at would make an exception for you and take your application? Otherwise, there are all the other offices that require bar passage before hiring. You certainly have not missed those deadlines. Definitely apply to clerkships in the meantime. It can't hurt. You could also try for a smaller firm that specializes in criminal law in your market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:38 pm

Has anyone else not received a response either way from NYC DAs? I applied to Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan in September-early October and never heard back. :( Anyone out there know if this is atypical? I'm operating on the assumption that I won't be getting any interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Has anyone heard post screener from Queens?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:42 pm

Received a ding from Brooklyn last week through email, about a month after my interview.

Had second-round with Bronx; have not heard back yet from Queens or Manhattan either way.

For those who had Bronx second-rounds, have you already submitted your LORs and picture? I did not have either at my panel interview and my interviewer spent about 5 minutes telling me how important it was that I submit the picture. And, she made a few more passes at me throughout the interview for not submitting the photos or LORs. Did I mess up by not having those things ready by the panel interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:02 am

My friend and I both had our pics and LOR's with us on the day of the interview. I think if you hadn't turned them in you should asap! They only gave me a week before the interview to get my LOR's together so I also gave them a list of professional references because I didn't have time to get the LOR I really wanted but he is on the top of my professional references list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Have a third round interview with Bronx DA. Anyone know what I should expect?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a third round interview with Bronx DA. Anyone know what I should expect?


how long was it between your second round and notice of your third?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have a third round interview with Bronx DA. Anyone know what I should expect?


how long was it between your second round and notice of your third?


Almost 3 weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:25 pm

Anyone have any advice for Bronx 2nd round and Queens 3rd round? Both interviews are coming up in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309321
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any advice for Bronx 2nd round and Queens 3rd round? Both interviews are coming up in a couple of weeks.


Unlike a lot of other places that I interviewed with, you are going to get a Bronx-oriented hypo. A hypo that is centered around your knowledge of certain Bronx areas. Like twenty minutes will be a hypo, but before that you will get questions about why Bronx and which other DA office you would choose over Bronx. Then you will receive an opportunity to ask questions.

I was really annoyed at the end of my panel interview. I did not get a good feeling about working there as an ADA.

Advice: know what the grand concourse is and how traffic flows in and around it. Be prepared with a good why Bronx answer and make sure you have your LORs and photo ready by the interview or you will be grilled by the interviewer.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.