District Attorney Offices 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:did kings county people get a start date yet?
I did; if you haven't yet you can just email them. I don't know if everyone is going to have the same start date.
Okay thanks I'll email them. Did you get your date with some paperwork or anything like that or did you just reach have to reach out for it?
Nah I reached out to them because I needed the date to plan some things. They were pretty chill about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm

anyone have any updates from Queens about the Fall/Spring Class?

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't see a 2018 thread so figured I ask my question here.

It seems most of the NYC offices just opened and are open till Oct. Is it better to get an application in ASAP like early to mid August or would applying early Sept stil make me competitive? Reason I ask is because I am doing a brief for moot court due late August and would rather use that than what I have now for the offices that do require writing samples.

Also do the NYC offIces allow you to submit your app and get your letters of rec in later?

Brickster

New

Post by Brickster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:34 am

MGH1989 wrote:I don't see a 2018 thread so figured I ask my question here.

It seems most of the NYC offices just opened and are open till Oct. Is it better to get an application in ASAP like early to mid August or would applying early Sept stil make me competitive? Reason I ask is because I am doing a brief for moot court due late August and would rather use that than what I have now for the offices that do require writing samples.

Also do the NYC offIces allow you to submit your app and get your letters of rec in later?
I think it has a chance to hurt you by delaying your application. You are going to be putting yourself behind a bunch of people in a process that takes multiple rounds. I had already had second round interviews or invites from DANY and KCDA by mid September. These interviews start to move quickly if they like you.

I'm also not sure a moot court writing sample would help your application unless you wanted to do appeals or it was a crim pro prompt. DANY did mark up my writing sample in the first round, but they really only discussed the writing sample in the context of my responsibilities at my internship. What is your current writing sample?

Bronx allowed you to submit your app. and get letters of rec later. Cannot remember about the others.

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Brickster wrote:

I think it has a chance to hurt you by delaying your application. You are going to be putting yourself behind a bunch of people in a process that takes multiple rounds. I had already had second round interviews or invites from DANY and KCDA by mid September. These interviews start to move quickly if they like you.

I'm also not sure a moot court writing sample would help your application unless you wanted to do appeals or it was a crim pro prompt. DANY did mark up my writing sample in the first round, but they really only discussed the writing sample in the context of my responsibilities at my internship. What is your current writing sample?

Bronx allowed you to submit your app. and get letters of rec later. Cannot remember about the others.
Current is just a first year writing course appellate brief. However, it is a crim law issue so I think that bodes well. Probably the most solid one I have. Last years Moot Court brief is average at best and I don't do journal so I think this is the best bet, but it seems like I'm better served just getting my stuff in ASAP instead of waiting to draft a better one (this one isn't bad, but I'm apprehensive to use a 1L writing assignment).

How important is the writing sample. Do they basically want to see if you're a somewhat decent writer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied as a lateral attorney to the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office and had my second round interview last week. Just got my rejection letter today. I'm actually relieved. Philadelphia was like my sixth choice county in Pennsylvania. I know everyone seems to have these rose-colored glasses on about big cities, but the pay there in relation to the COL is a joke. Not to mention the amount of extra hours that you end up putting in, plus you spend years doing bullshit work before they let you do anything cool or interesting. The ONLY thing it really has going for it is the prestige factor (I guess), which just isn't worth much in my opinion. It's the equivalent of working in BigLaw for $52k a year. Who the fuck would do that? The only reason I even interviewed there is because I haven't heard back from anyone else yet and I thought "what the hell, why not."
What specifically did the second round interview involve? hypos? questions about your current job? I'm thinking of applying there as a lateral applicant in the beginning of next year so I'm curious about how the process went.

Thanks
It was much shorter than I thought it would be, only about 20 mins. There were 7 people seated around a table, various ADAs from different sections who it appeared to me were very tired and didn't want to be there. I have a feeling that when it's hiring time they do a sort of lottery and draw people's names and they're like "Aw shit, I got picked for the hiring committee in July." The first ten minutes they just rehashed everything that was discussed during the first interview, my resume, my grades, why Philly etc. I was pretty annoyed that I had to go through all that again, not only because I already told them everything the first time, but also because I spent all my time just prepping for hypos. As for the hypos, they were not like anything I was expecting. I expected evidence and crim pro questions, maybe something ethics related. The stuff they asked was more philosophical, a la "Why do you think prosecutors are important?" I thought they were dumb questions for that type of interview, as they didn't allow me to exhibit any actual criminal law knowledge or emphasize what kind of litigator I am. The sorts of responses their questions would evoke would be comprised entirely of cliches and unhelpful information. The whole experience was not what I expected and I was pretty irked when I left, actually. It wasn't worth the parking ticket and three hours of driving and half a day of work I had to take off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:04 am

MGH1989 wrote:
Brickster wrote:

Current is just a first year writing course appellate brief. However, it is a crim law issue so I think that bodes well. Probably the most solid one I have. Last years Moot Court brief is average at best and I don't do journal so I think this is the best bet, but it seems like I'm better served just getting my stuff in ASAP instead of waiting to draft a better one (this one isn't bad, but I'm apprehensive to use a 1L writing assignment).

How important is the writing sample. Do they basically want to see if you're a somewhat decent writer?
I would guess the writing sample is just to see how good you are at making an argument/to see if you're fluent in English; you don't really do a whole lot of writing if you're not doing appeals so I don't know what other value it would have. They don't generally have to be very long, so is there any way you can finish up a section of the brief early and submit that?

I didn't apply to DANY but as for the rest of the offices, the Bronx was the only NY office that asked for actual letters of recommendation. The others were fine with a list of references that they could call at their leisure.

I agree that applying early is usually best (they keep interviewing until they fill up seats; if you apply too late it's conceivable that your favorite office could fill their seats before they fully consider you and your app--not typical, but conceivable). I wouldn't apply early expecting the whole process to complete itself early, though; how fast you go through rounds will heavily depend on how fast the office moves and how strong your application is, regardless of how early you apply. Applying early just ensures your application gets reviewed well before they start filling slots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Anyone have any advice in regard to Manhattan DA as a lateral? Applied only to Manhattan and got invited in for an interview 6 weeks later. Are they going to ask me where else I applied? How long does the entire process take from first interview to potential offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied as a lateral attorney to the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office and had my second round interview last week. Just got my rejection letter today. I'm actually relieved. Philadelphia was like my sixth choice county in Pennsylvania. I know everyone seems to have these rose-colored glasses on about big cities, but the pay there in relation to the COL is a joke. Not to mention the amount of extra hours that you end up putting in, plus you spend years doing bullshit work before they let you do anything cool or interesting. The ONLY thing it really has going for it is the prestige factor (I guess), which just isn't worth much in my opinion. It's the equivalent of working in BigLaw for $52k a year. Who the fuck would do that? The only reason I even interviewed there is because I haven't heard back from anyone else yet and I thought "what the hell, why not."
What specifically did the second round interview involve? hypos? questions about your current job? I'm thinking of applying there as a lateral applicant in the beginning of next year so I'm curious about how the process went.

Thanks
It was much shorter than I thought it would be, only about 20 mins. There were 7 people seated around a table, various ADAs from different sections who it appeared to me were very tired and didn't want to be there. I have a feeling that when it's hiring time they do a sort of lottery and draw people's names and they're like "Aw shit, I got picked for the hiring committee in July." The first ten minutes they just rehashed everything that was discussed during the first interview, my resume, my grades, why Philly etc. I was pretty annoyed that I had to go through all that again, not only because I already told them everything the first time, but also because I spent all my time just prepping for hypos. As for the hypos, they were not like anything I was expecting. I expected evidence and crim pro questions, maybe something ethics related. The stuff they asked was more philosophical, a la "Why do you think prosecutors are important?" I thought they were dumb questions for that type of interview, as they didn't allow me to exhibit any actual criminal law knowledge or emphasize what kind of litigator I am. The sorts of responses their questions would evoke would be comprised entirely of cliches and unhelpful information. The whole experience was not what I expected and I was pretty irked when I left, actually. It wasn't worth the parking ticket and three hours of driving and half a day of work I had to take off.
Morale has been pretty low at the Philly DA for a while (Seth Williams corruption trial, etc.), so this doesn't surprise me. And with the likely new DA coming in, I don't think it's necessarily a good time to be applying there anyway. I don't think he'll clear house, but... it'll be interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:47 am

Starting at Bronx next month and trying to make sure my work wardrobe is where it needs to be.

What's the normal attire there, particularly for females? I.e., do I always need to wear a jacket? If so, does a dress and jacket comply or does it need to be an actual 2 piece suit everyday?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Starting at Bronx next month and trying to make sure my work wardrobe is where it needs to be.

What's the normal attire there, particularly for females? I.e., do I always need to wear a jacket? If so, does a dress and jacket comply or does it need to be an actual 2 piece suit everyday?
I'm BXDA, but a guy, FWIW.

Day to day, dress and jacket is fine. For orientation you probably want to err on the side of more formal just because you are going to be meeting a lot of exec staff throughout.

edit: you don't always need to wear a jacket but definitely have one, and a full suit in your office to put on or change into if you have to go into HOJ (Hall of Justice).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting at Bronx next month and trying to make sure my work wardrobe is where it needs to be.

I'm BXDA, but a guy, FWIW.

Day to day, dress and jacket is fine. For orientation you probably want to err on the side of more formal just because you are going to be meeting a lot of exec staff throughout.

edit: you don't always need to wear a jacket but definitely have one, and a full suit in your office to put on or change into if you have to go into HOJ (Hall of Justice).
Thank you!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:21 am

Has anyone from KCDA gotten an email about the onboarding process yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:24 pm

The Bronx on-boarding process is a mess this year.

For those of you considering applying there... don't.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Bronx on-boarding process is a mess this year.

Care to elaborate? Feel free to PM me (current ADA at different office) if you'd like to keep it private.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:14 pm

encore1101 wrote:

Care to elaborate? Feel free to PM me (current ADA at different office) if you'd like to keep it private.
Yeah I'm also really curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:

Yeah I'm also really curious.
Also curious...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:40 am

More importantly, where is the new class's BXDA happy hour tonight?*

With no yankee game, drafthouse is going to have some good specials.

One thing I've heard from the grapevine is that the new hires are training through november and wont get bureau assignments until after thanksgiving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks again for making this thread. It's incredibly helpful. Few questions and forgive me if it has been answered before:

1. How long does the whole process take once you have the panel?
I interviewed with all five boroughs and Nassau and moving glacially through the process. While Bronx, Queens, and Nassau moved to the second round, Brooklyn still hasn't moved forward. Is Brooklyn generally this slow?

2. When you make it to the third round, how much time do you have to accept if you get an offer? I've heard most of the third/fourth rounds at the NY offices are merely ceremonial in nature where the DA makes you an offer.

3. Any Borough recommended over another if there are competing offers?

4. I'm also thinking of moving to California in a few years, so it is easy to go to an office in California once you've been working in NY?

Thank you all in advance!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks again for making this thread. It's incredibly helpful. Few questions and forgive me if it has been answered before:

I interviewed with all five boroughs and Nassau and moving glacially through the process. While Bronx, Queens, and Nassau moved to the second round, Brooklyn still hasn't moved forward. Is Brooklyn generally this slow?

2. When you make it to the third round, how much time do you have to accept if you get an offer? I've heard most of the third/fourth rounds at the NY offices are merely ceremonial in nature where the DA makes you an offer.

4. I'm also thinking of moving to California in a few years, so it is easy to go to an office in California once you've been working in NY?

I can't speak to CA, but as to the rest:

Brooklyn is generally slow. IME Bronx and Nassau were the fastest.

I was only given two days initially to accept an offer (and then negotiated to maybe 4 so I could give other offices time to get back to me). They're not going to, and are not required to, give you a whole lot of time to accept/reject, so be prepared to have to be firm in asking for time to consider, and to reach out literally minutes after being given an offer to other offices if you're still waiting on them. Last rounds in Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Nassau are definitely not just ceremonial and people can definitely get dinged at these rounds if they're too cavalier about the interview. Treat it like you would any other round; this one is generally with the DA or his/her right-hand man, after all, so you don't want to look bad in front of one of the highest-ranking officials just because you assume an offer's in the bag. I assume the same is true of other boroughs, I just didn't interview at them.

Recommended borough is highly going to depend on what you want to rank them by/what you hope to get out of the experience. Some are better renowed than others, some are guaranteed to provide more trial experience than others (or more experience with particular types of cases than others), some are more liberal/conservative than others, each has its own main mission it's pursuing that may be different from another office's primary goals, etc.

sonia23

New

Post by sonia23 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

I can't speak to CA, but as to the rest:

Brooklyn is generally slow. IME Bronx and Nassau were the fastest.

I was only given two days initially to accept an offer (and then negotiated to maybe 4 so I could give other offices time to get back to me). They're not going to, and are not required to, give you a whole lot of time to accept/reject, so be prepared to have to be firm in asking for time to consider, and to reach out literally minutes after being given an offer to other offices if you're still waiting on them. Last rounds in Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Nassau are definitely not just ceremonial and people can definitely get dinged at these rounds if they're too cavalier about the interview. Treat it like you would any other round; this one is generally with the DA or his/her right-hand man, after all, so you don't want to look bad in front of one of the highest-ranking officials just because you assume an offer's in the bag. I assume the same is true of other boroughs, I just didn't interview at them.

Recommended borough is highly going to depend on what you want to rank them by/what you hope to get out of the experience. Some are better renowed than others, some are guaranteed to provide more trial experience than others (or more experience with particular types of cases than others), some are more liberal/conservative than others, each has its own main mission it's pursuing that may be different from another office's primary goals, etc.

Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate the candid nature of it.
To follow up on the previous answer, I believe that DANY is more known for white collar, but I'm not sure what the other offices are actually known for. I would imagine Bronx allows you more trial experience quicker. Also, I know that Queens is pretty selective in picking its candidates. Could you just elaborate a bit on the offices please? At this point if I got an offer, I would be behind two or possibly three rounds on Brooklyn. I'm hoping they hurry up soon ://

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:38 pm

sonia23 wrote:Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate the candid nature of it.
To follow up on the previous answer, I believe that DANY is more known for white collar, but I'm not sure what the other offices are actually known for. I would imagine Bronx allows you more trial experience quicker. Also, I know that Queens is pretty selective in picking its candidates. Could you just elaborate a bit on the offices please? At this point if I got an offer, I would be behind two or possibly three rounds on Brooklyn. I'm hoping they hurry up soon ://
I'm not an expert on all the offices, but here's my impression of them:

DANY is huge on white collar/financial crimes; their cybercrimes unit (only financial crimes) is well-known. Not a lot of violent crime. Bronx/Brooklyn have the most violent crimes, so if you want to be a homicide ADA, those are your best bets (in that order). Bronx is also getting more and more involved in Riker's reform, while Brooklyn's still in a transition phase but seems to be doing a lot with wrongful convictions and elder abuse (both also are working on cybercrimes units, I believe, but I think they're deciding on what exactly they want to focus on; last I checked both are thinking of focusing on cyberbullying). You're probably right that Bronx will probably have people on trials faster than most of the other offices just by virtue of how many cases they deal with/their shirt to vertical. I don't honestly remember what Queens is up to these days. Nassau is big on the opioid epedemic, which isn't a shocker to anyone who knows the demographics of Nassau. They're also trying to move towards Red Hook-style problem-solving, but that's probably a ways off (like years).

In terms of "politics," based on what I heard from my internship at one of the offices (a lot of people had moved from other offices to my office), from most to least progressive, I'd maybe say Brooklyn -> Bronx -> Manhattan -> Queens/Nassau. Not in terms of Dems to GOP, so much as in terms of how they charge things/handle things in arraignments, alternative programs they use, what they will/won't DP or give offers on, etc. E.g., from what I hear, Brooklyn will automatically put a lot of things as misdems, that offices like Queens or Nassau would charge as felonies and keep as felonies for as long as possible. You're going to be stuck at whatever office you land at for 3 years, so you should make sure you believe in what that office is doing/not doing. Try to get a sense of these things during your interviews, too.

An offer definitely speeds things up. I did multiple rounds at one office in a week after months of radio silence because of my offer and its short deadline. That doesn't work for everyone though; someone else in my class was in the same position (offer at other office, mentioned it to this office) and still more or less got radio silence, at which point they just accepted their offer and moved on. Either way just don't let an office pressure you into accepting like a day later or something; you're signing away 3 years of your life to the office (in theory, anyway), you're entitled to want to make sure you're signing it over to the right people.

sonia23

New

Post by sonia23 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks so much for this in depth answer. I'm still awaiting on one office and moving slowly through the other offices. Do you mind if I ask where you did you end up working eventually?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi, this is a very stupid question... sorry to ask...

I failed the July bar and was on hold at a NYC DA office... but that's gone now...

Does anyone have any advice about how to deal with this. Of course, I will try my best in Feb. But, should I even contact that DA office or let it be?

Obviously, they won't take failures like me.]

Thank you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:37 pm

I don't know what you mean by "on hold," tbh, and I can't tell if you're saying "that's gone now" because they actually told you they're not moving forward with you or if that's bar failure depression talking. Pretty much the only thing I got from your post is that you failed the July bar, and I don't know if we can really give you specific advice without a lot more info.

But I would at least point out that the bar is not the end-all, be-all indicator of whether or not you'll be a good lawyer generally or prosecutor specifically--but people will think it is if you give off the impression that you think it is. So while it sucks that you failed and yes, do your best in Feb., if you keep thinking things like "they won't take failures like me," then they won't, because no one wants to take on a person who thinks of themselves as a failure; if you can't trust in yourself, they won't have a reason to trust in you, either. So take a deep breath and focus on all the reasons why you were qualified to be an ADA before bar results came out; I don't know what your situation is and I don't know what failing the bar will do to your situation, but I can fairly confidently say you lose all hope of rebounding from the results if you forget about those things, which are just as true now as they were a week ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”