District Attorney Offices 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.


How is it like working under Darcel Clark? Has anything changed?


A lot has changed. I was hired under former DA Rob Johnson.
to summarize:
1. cases are vertical (as much as they can be) now. Similar to the structure at NYDA.
2. New Units and bureaus created.
3. A lot more oversight on day to day operations.
4. Pay has increased in standard with other offices, however sign-on bonuses have been given to good adas to keep them committed for an extra year or 2 years.
5. Maternity leave policy was just changed yesterday, giving the primary caregiver 12 weeks per birth. However it came with a clause that you must sign a commitment to return for at least 3 months. I think this was done because many women had left the office, received maternity pay and never came back or interviewed for other jobs while out and resigned before coming back.
6. No longer is there weeks of nights as in the past, but rather single shifts.
7. a lot of people have left the office due to these changes, especially in regards to the vertical nature of cases. By going vertical it made mid level to senior adas have to do more work, as they used to just be assigned an indicted case and got to try it. Now they are back writing up complaints, running in and out of the grand jury, Basically more work for the same pay. because of this the office is understaffed at the moment, but once they have hit the numbers they need, vertical prosecution will overall be better for the cases in the long run.
8. As a result of adas leaving, it has created two tiers of adas- senior adas and younger adas. A lot of the midlevels left because they were not rewarded and promoted like senior adas. Seniors stayed because they were given large raises and placed in prestigious bureaus (homicide etc). However Darcel is in a rebuilding phase and it will require a lot of hiring to get the numbers she needs. Once the numbers are met, it will ease the strain on all adas, in which each ada is doing the work of 1.75 adas.



If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like a great time to be applying for an ADA position in the Bronx.


it is. Class sizes are expected to be in the 50s and 60s. They are hiring laterals (which is exceptionally rare) to fill those mid level spots lost. The classes coming in now will gain a lot of experience as they will have a higher caseload, but as more classes are hired, the caseload will go down and they will be left with all the skills forged in the fire of being a new ada in a new administration.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.


How is it like working under Darcel Clark? Has anything changed?


A lot has changed. I was hired under former DA Rob Johnson.
to summarize:
1. cases are vertical (as much as they can be) now. Similar to the structure at NYDA.
2. New Units and bureaus created.
3. A lot more oversight on day to day operations.
4. Pay has increased in standard with other offices, however sign-on bonuses have been given to good adas to keep them committed for an extra year or 2 years.
5. Maternity leave policy was just changed yesterday, giving the primary caregiver 12 weeks per birth. However it came with a clause that you must sign a commitment to return for at least 3 months. I think this was done because many women had left the office, received maternity pay and never came back or interviewed for other jobs while out and resigned before coming back.
6. No longer is there weeks of nights as in the past, but rather single shifts.
7. a lot of people have left the office due to these changes, especially in regards to the vertical nature of cases. By going vertical it made mid level to senior adas have to do more work, as they used to just be assigned an indicted case and got to try it. Now they are back writing up complaints, running in and out of the grand jury, Basically more work for the same pay. because of this the office is understaffed at the moment, but once they have hit the numbers they need, vertical prosecution will overall be better for the cases in the long run.
8. As a result of adas leaving, it has created two tiers of adas- senior adas and younger adas. A lot of the midlevels left because they were not rewarded and promoted like senior adas. Seniors stayed because they were given large raises and placed in prestigious bureaus (homicide etc). However Darcel is in a rebuilding phase and it will require a lot of hiring to get the numbers she needs. Once the numbers are met, it will ease the strain on all adas, in which each ada is doing the work of 1.75 adas.



If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like a great time to be applying for an ADA position in the Bronx.


it is. Class sizes are expected to be in the 50s and 60s. They are hiring laterals (which is exceptionally rare) to fill those mid level spots lost. The classes coming in now will gain a lot of experience as they will have a higher caseload, but as more classes are hired, the caseload will go down and they will be left with all the skills forged in the fire of being a new ada in a new administration.



Can you talk a little bit about what a dependable/good/high-performing Bronx ADA might reasonably expect to be making per year after being on the job for, say, 3 years? What about 7 years? Thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.


Thanks for volunteering your help! I am applying to DA offices in NYC and various public defenders as well (I don't admit it in the interviews of coarse :lol: ). I would like to know why do some people go to the DAs office over defense. For the most part, have been telling me that 3L's get tiered of waiting and rejections from PDs and they just settle for the DA. Can you shed some light on the pro's and con's of starting at the DA over PD?


From what I have seen, people choose DA's offices over defense for their own personal beliefs. Not to stereotype individuals working in these organizations, but people in DA's offices tend to bit a bit more conservative in regards to "law and order" isssues. However that is not the main reason. People also choose DA's offices over PDs because what they feel is a benefit to society, by being able to put bad guys away, letting the good guys who made a mistake get a slap on the wrist, and letting the people who are innocent go.

From what i have seen in NY offices, if you interned in a PD, it will not be looked upon negatively during your DA application process. However, the inverse is often true for PD offices. Its a sense of culture. As a DA you are always supposed to be doing "the right thing": turning over Brady, investigating, determining credibility of witnesses etc. As a PD, you are not held to that higher standard.

In NY a lot of the PD offices are very liberal coughbronxdefenderscough and feel as though incarceration for crime should never be the solution. While they work tirelessly, their strategies in negotiation as well as trial strategy sometimes seems over zealous. As such if you were a former DA intern, you most likely wont be getting hired by those offices.

As for Pros of being a DA vs a PD: well both get plenty of trial experience. However the burden is always on the government to prove its case. As a DA I think the trial skills you build are better than a PD because a defendant does not, and often does not, put on a case. Rather the skills you will cultivate as a PD is exceptional cross examination, and ways to create reasonable doubt. In essence you are a destroyer. As a DA you are trying to create a case. you are preparing witnesses, oftentimes many witnesses in more serious cases, creating exhibits, presenting expert testimony etc. You are the creator/director of the trial.

TLDR: where you want to go will depend upon your own personal beliefs of the CJ system and what skills you want to cultivate during your time there.


I am a former ADA. This is a great perspective for a young student looking to interview. I frankly got tiered of the system in the BX. There is a lot of work and little to no reward. It is very hard to win. Winning is hard because of the jury in the BX and the aggressive attorneys you are up against. This really sucks the energy out of the office. I see people that start to hate the job after a year. I think if I started with a PD office I would be a better attorney today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.


How is it like working under Darcel Clark? Has anything changed?


A lot has changed. I was hired under former DA Rob Johnson.
to summarize:
1. cases are vertical (as much as they can be) now. Similar to the structure at NYDA.
2. New Units and bureaus created.
3. A lot more oversight on day to day operations.
4. Pay has increased in standard with other offices, however sign-on bonuses have been given to good adas to keep them committed for an extra year or 2 years.
5. Maternity leave policy was just changed yesterday, giving the primary caregiver 12 weeks per birth. However it came with a clause that you must sign a commitment to return for at least 3 months. I think this was done because many women had left the office, received maternity pay and never came back or interviewed for other jobs while out and resigned before coming back.
6. No longer is there weeks of nights as in the past, but rather single shifts.
7. a lot of people have left the office due to these changes, especially in regards to the vertical nature of cases. By going vertical it made mid level to senior adas have to do more work, as they used to just be assigned an indicted case and got to try it. Now they are back writing up complaints, running in and out of the grand jury, Basically more work for the same pay. because of this the office is understaffed at the moment, but once they have hit the numbers they need, vertical prosecution will overall be better for the cases in the long run.
8. As a result of adas leaving, it has created two tiers of adas- senior adas and younger adas. A lot of the midlevels left because they were not rewarded and promoted like senior adas. Seniors stayed because they were given large raises and placed in prestigious bureaus (homicide etc). However Darcel is in a rebuilding phase and it will require a lot of hiring to get the numbers she needs. Once the numbers are met, it will ease the strain on all adas, in which each ada is doing the work of 1.75 adas.



If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like a great time to be applying for an ADA position in the Bronx.


it is. Class sizes are expected to be in the 50s and 60s. They are hiring laterals (which is exceptionally rare) to fill those mid level spots lost. The classes coming in now will gain a lot of experience as they will have a higher caseload, but as more classes are hired, the caseload will go down and they will be left with all the skills forged in the fire of being a new ada in a new administration.



Can you talk a little bit about what a dependable/good/high-performing Bronx ADA might reasonably expect to be making per year after being on the job for, say, 3 years? What about 7 years? Thank you!


seethroughny.net

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.

What kind of jobs are out there after the DA office? What do ADAs aspire to do after a few years in the office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.


How is it like working under Darcel Clark? Has anything changed?


A lot has changed. I was hired under former DA Rob Johnson.
to summarize:
1. cases are vertical (as much as they can be) now. Similar to the structure at NYDA.
2. New Units and bureaus created.
3. A lot more oversight on day to day operations.
4. Pay has increased in standard with other offices, however sign-on bonuses have been given to good adas to keep them committed for an extra year or 2 years.
5. Maternity leave policy was just changed yesterday, giving the primary caregiver 12 weeks per birth. However it came with a clause that you must sign a commitment to return for at least 3 months. I think this was done because many women had left the office, received maternity pay and never came back or interviewed for other jobs while out and resigned before coming back.
6. No longer is there weeks of nights as in the past, but rather single shifts.
7. a lot of people have left the office due to these changes, especially in regards to the vertical nature of cases. By going vertical it made mid level to senior adas have to do more work, as they used to just be assigned an indicted case and got to try it. Now they are back writing up complaints, running in and out of the grand jury, Basically more work for the same pay. because of this the office is understaffed at the moment, but once they have hit the numbers they need, vertical prosecution will overall be better for the cases in the long run.
8. As a result of adas leaving, it has created two tiers of adas- senior adas and younger adas. A lot of the midlevels left because they were not rewarded and promoted like senior adas. Seniors stayed because they were given large raises and placed in prestigious bureaus (homicide etc). However Darcel is in a rebuilding phase and it will require a lot of hiring to get the numbers she needs. Once the numbers are met, it will ease the strain on all adas, in which each ada is doing the work of 1.75 adas.



If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like a great time to be applying for an ADA position in the Bronx.


it is. Class sizes are expected to be in the 50s and 60s. They are hiring laterals (which is exceptionally rare) to fill those mid level spots lost. The classes coming in now will gain a lot of experience as they will have a higher caseload, but as more classes are hired, the caseload will go down and they will be left with all the skills forged in the fire of being a new ada in a new administration.



Can you talk a little bit about what a dependable/good/high-performing Bronx ADA might reasonably expect to be making per year after being on the job for, say, 3 years? What about 7 years? Thank you!


seethroughny.net



Thanks. An additional question -- what % of Bronx ADAs would you say actually live in the Bronx? Because I'm looking at the starting salary and thinking that I would REALLY struggle to afford an apartment in Manhattan if I were to accept a position in the Bronx DA's office. I'd also think there might be some benefits in living among the People you represent, but I'll admit that might just be naive on my part.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.



Thanks. An additional question -- what % of Bronx ADAs would you say actually live in the Bronx? Because I'm looking at the starting salary and thinking that I would REALLY struggle to afford an apartment in Manhattan if I were to accept a position in the Bronx DA's office. I'd also think there might be some benefits in living among the People you represent, but I'll admit that might just be naive on my part.
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

to be honest not many. I can probably count on two hands how many people live in the bronx and are adas. Many of the support staff and paralegals live and work in the bronx though.
Most people live in the UES, Astoria, UWS, certain parts of BK, and often with roommates or significant others.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.



Thanks. An additional question -- what % of Bronx ADAs would you say actually live in the Bronx? Because I'm looking at the starting salary and thinking that I would REALLY struggle to afford an apartment in Manhattan if I were to accept a position in the Bronx DA's office. I'd also think there might be some benefits in living among the People you represent, but I'll admit that might just be naive on my part.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

to be honest not many. I can probably count on two hands how many people live in the bronx and are adas. Many of the support staff and paralegals live and work in the bronx though.
Most people live in the UES, Astoria, UWS, certain parts of BK, and often with roommates or significant others.[/quote]


Is there any sense whatsoever in living within walking distance of the office or is it just flat out too unsafe to do that?

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.

What kind of jobs are out there after the DA office? What do ADAs aspire to do after a few years in the office?


To be honest it ranges. Mainly 2 options:
1. Government- mainly because they still want PILF. BXDA used to feed a lot of people to local city government agencies and it still does. DOE used to be big. Now there is more Corp Counsel, DOC, DOI. There are a select few who go the Fed Gov route. Few go AUSA, but mainly in flyover districts (Lexington, KY, Scranton, PA etc). Rarely do we get ADAs going to the large and prestigious offices like SDNY, EDNY SDFL etc. but one person did leave to DOJ Crim in DC.
2. Private practice- Back in the day it was always insurance companies looking for adas to try quick run of the mill car cases (geico etc). Nowadays people leave for insurance its usually Med Mal or something else pretty lucrative. Some leave for labor and employment gigs. usually nothing finance related as an attorney but i know some people that went to a securities firm and someone who is counsel at at large banking insitution. Sometimes people will leave and go to jd preferred jobs like in compliance. Some have left to even become teachers. Its what you make of it. Rarely will you see the younger classes of ADAs go into defense, especially private defense. Its hard to make a living in private defense unless you are on the 18b panel or in a firm that does a lot of volume with paying clients (DWI's etc).

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.



Thanks. An additional question -- what % of Bronx ADAs would you say actually live in the Bronx? Because I'm looking at the starting salary and thinking that I would REALLY struggle to afford an apartment in Manhattan if I were to accept a position in the Bronx DA's office. I'd also think there might be some benefits in living among the People you represent, but I'll admit that might just be naive on my part.
[/quote][/quote]

to be honest not many. I can probably count on two hands how many people live in the bronx and are adas. Many of the support staff and paralegals live and work in the bronx though.
Most people live in the UES, Astoria, UWS, certain parts of BK, and often with roommates or significant others.[/quote]


Is there any sense whatsoever in living within walking distance of the office or is it just flat out too unsafe to do that?[/quote]

The sense is that you could wake up at 8:30 and get to work on time. LOL.
While the area is rapidly changing (they put a starbucks up about a year ago and they are about to open a chipotle) it still isn't the safest area at night. People have done it in the office, but most move after a bit. Partially because socially most adas will hang out in the city, and to go down and back again is just a hassle.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.


Thanks for volunteering your help! I am applying to DA offices in NYC and various public defenders as well (I don't admit it in the interviews of coarse :lol: ). I would like to know why do some people go to the DAs office over defense. For the most part, have been telling me that 3L's get tiered of waiting and rejections from PDs and they just settle for the DA. Can you shed some light on the pro's and con's of starting at the DA over PD?


From what I have seen, people choose DA's offices over defense for their own personal beliefs. Not to stereotype individuals working in these organizations, but people in DA's offices tend to bit a bit more conservative in regards to "law and order" isssues. However that is not the main reason. People also choose DA's offices over PDs because what they feel is a benefit to society, by being able to put bad guys away, letting the good guys who made a mistake get a slap on the wrist, and letting the people who are innocent go.

From what i have seen in NY offices, if you interned in a PD, it will not be looked upon negatively during your DA application process. However, the inverse is often true for PD offices. Its a sense of culture. As a DA you are always supposed to be doing "the right thing": turning over Brady, investigating, determining credibility of witnesses etc. As a PD, you are not held to that higher standard.

In NY a lot of the PD offices are very liberal coughbronxdefenderscough and feel as though incarceration for crime should never be the solution. While they work tirelessly, their strategies in negotiation as well as trial strategy sometimes seems over zealous. As such if you were a former DA intern, you most likely wont be getting hired by those offices.

As for Pros of being a DA vs a PD: well both get plenty of trial experience. However the burden is always on the government to prove its case. As a DA I think the trial skills you build are better than a PD because a defendant does not, and often does not, put on a case. Rather the skills you will cultivate as a PD is exceptional cross examination, and ways to create reasonable doubt. In essence you are a destroyer. As a DA you are trying to create a case. you are preparing witnesses, oftentimes many witnesses in more serious cases, creating exhibits, presenting expert testimony etc. You are the creator/director of the trial.

TLDR: where you want to go will depend upon your own personal beliefs of the CJ system and what skills you want to cultivate during your time there.


I am a former ADA. This is a great perspective for a young student looking to interview. I frankly got tiered of the system in the BX. There is a lot of work and little to no reward. It is very hard to win. Winning is hard because of the jury in the BX and the aggressive attorneys you are up against. This really sucks the energy out of the office. I see people that start to hate the job after a year. I think if I started with a PD office I would be a better attorney today.


I agree with you. It is frustrating to see a jury acquit when you had proven your case beyond a reasonable doubt, merely due to the distrust within law enforcement. It creates a tale of 5 counties, where you are likely to go unpunished if you perform a crime within a certain area. You really think you would have been better if you worked at the pretenders?!?!? lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.



Thanks. An additional question -- what % of Bronx ADAs would you say actually live in the Bronx? Because I'm looking at the starting salary and thinking that I would REALLY struggle to afford an apartment in Manhattan if I were to accept a position in the Bronx DA's office. I'd also think there might be some benefits in living among the People you represent, but I'll admit that might just be naive on my part.
[/quote]

to be honest not many. I can probably count on two hands how many people live in the bronx and are adas. Many of the support staff and paralegals live and work in the bronx though.
Most people live in the UES, Astoria, UWS, certain parts of BK, and often with roommates or significant others.[/quote]


Is there any sense whatsoever in living within walking distance of the office or is it just flat out too unsafe to do that?[/quote]

The sense is that you could wake up at 8:30 and get to work on time. LOL.
While the area is rapidly changing (they put a starbucks up about a year ago and they are about to open a chipotle) it still isn't the safest area at night. People have done it in the office, but most move after a bit. Partially because socially most adas will hang out in the city, and to go down and back again is just a hassle.[/quote]


Great, thank you for all of your insight!

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:17 pm

Wow, just saw the sweet, sweet BXDA venting going on here.

Different current anon BXADA here.

For people being interviewed, next year has the potential to be great for trial assistants.

Currently, it's been a shit show since Clark came aboard, mainly because of the transition to purely vertical. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of vertical but it is not an easy transition and many midlevels have been carrying absurd caseloads and not advancing to becoming felony assistants, mainly because we are waiting for more new assistants who can carry caseloads. The new September class is almost there. What's been disheartening though is the amount of laterals we are hiring to do felonies rather than training the misdemeanor assistants we have The professional development has stagnated somewhat, but should resume so long as the current, overworked, misdemeanor assistants stay. A lot who have reached their 3 years and previously considered themselves long-term ADAs are considering leaving now because of it.

What I haven't liked about the new administration, compared the RTJ era, is how "removed" they are from us. It's like we are an inconvenience to them. They made a big deal to the new classes this year about how special we all are and how they trust us to "do the right thing always" and the immense responsibility and power we have over defendants, yet in the same breath explain how we are the only office in NY State that can't be trusted to carry badges (unless you're executive level). We're treated like overworked children.

That is absurd. Has anyone in the new administration ever tried to get video from a store without a badge? It is an automatically fireable offense if they catch you with a BXDA badge that you buy from a police store. I would love it if someone asked them about badges in their third round.

EDIT: In fairness the badge thing was initially a Johnson policy after someone fucked it up for all of us, but the attitude of the new admin irks me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, just saw the sweet, sweet BXDA venting going on here.

Different current anon BXADA here.

For people being interviewed, next year has the potential to be great for trial assistants.

Currently, it's been a shit show since Clark came aboard, mainly because of the transition to purely vertical. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of vertical but it is not an easy transition and many midlevels have been carrying absurd caseloads and not advancing to becoming felony assistants, mainly because we are waiting for more new assistants who can carry caseloads. The new September class is almost there. What's been disheartening though is the amount of laterals we are hiring to do felonies rather than training the misdemeanor assistants we have The professional development has stagnated somewhat, but should resume so long as the current, overworked, misdemeanor assistants stay. A lot who have reached their 3 years and previously considered themselves long-term ADAs are considering leaving now because of it.

What I haven't liked about the new administration, compared the RTJ era, is how "removed" they are from us. It's like we are an inconvenience to them. They made a big deal to the new classes this year about how special we all are and how they trust us to "do the right thing always" and the immense responsibility and power we have over defendants, yet in the same breath explain how we are the only office in NY State that can't be trusted to carry badges (unless you're executive level). We're treated like overworked children.

That is absurd. Has anyone in the new administration ever tried to get video from a store without a badge? It is an automatically fireable offense if they catch you with a BXDA badge that you buy from a police store. I would love it if someone asked them about badges in their third round.

EDIT: In fairness the badge thing was initially a Johnson policy after someone fucked it up for all of us, but the attitude of the new admin irks me.


This is the former ex-BXADA again- go to BlueKnight in Astoria.
More people have badges than you think.
I had a badge. Bosses have seen my badge. As long as you don't go flashing it to get out of a ticket or using it inappropriately, you will be fine.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7619
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby los blancos » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Is there anyone on this board who either works at a state's attorney's office in Illinois/DA's office in Wisconsin or has any sort of extensive knowledge about these places? I'd really appreciate a PM if so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a former Bronx ADA, congratulations to all those with offers!!! And for those still waiting don't give up hope. From personal knowledge offers have been given even a few days before the new class starts, as attrition within the offices always fluctuates.

If anyone has any questions, I have a wealth of knowledge about the Bronx DA's office and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.


Thanks for volunteering your help! I am applying to DA offices in NYC and various public defenders as well (I don't admit it in the interviews of coarse :lol: ). I would like to know why do some people go to the DAs office over defense. For the most part, have been telling me that 3L's get tiered of waiting and rejections from PDs and they just settle for the DA. Can you shed some light on the pro's and con's of starting at the DA over PD?


From what I have seen, people choose DA's offices over defense for their own personal beliefs. Not to stereotype individuals working in these organizations, but people in DA's offices tend to bit a bit more conservative in regards to "law and order" isssues. However that is not the main reason. People also choose DA's offices over PDs because what they feel is a benefit to society, by being able to put bad guys away, letting the good guys who made a mistake get a slap on the wrist, and letting the people who are innocent go.

From what i have seen in NY offices, if you interned in a PD, it will not be looked upon negatively during your DA application process. However, the inverse is often true for PD offices. Its a sense of culture. As a DA you are always supposed to be doing "the right thing": turning over Brady, investigating, determining credibility of witnesses etc. As a PD, you are not held to that higher standard.

In NY a lot of the PD offices are very liberal coughbronxdefenderscough and feel as though incarceration for crime should never be the solution. While they work tirelessly, their strategies in negotiation as well as trial strategy sometimes seems over zealous. As such if you were a former DA intern, you most likely wont be getting hired by those offices.

As for Pros of being a DA vs a PD: well both get plenty of trial experience. However the burden is always on the government to prove its case. As a DA I think the trial skills you build are better than a PD because a defendant does not, and often does not, put on a case. Rather the skills you will cultivate as a PD is exceptional cross examination, and ways to create reasonable doubt. In essence you are a destroyer. As a DA you are trying to create a case. you are preparing witnesses, oftentimes many witnesses in more serious cases, creating exhibits, presenting expert testimony etc. You are the creator/director of the trial.

TLDR: where you want to go will depend upon your own personal beliefs of the CJ system and what skills you want to cultivate during your time there.


I am a former ADA. This is a great perspective for a young student looking to interview. I frankly got tiered of the system in the BX. There is a lot of work and little to no reward. It is very hard to win. Winning is hard because of the jury in the BX and the aggressive attorneys you are up against. This really sucks the energy out of the office. I see people that start to hate the job after a year. I think if I started with a PD office I would be a better attorney today.


I agree with you. It is frustrating to see a jury acquit when you had proven your case beyond a reasonable doubt, merely due to the distrust within law enforcement. It creates a tale of 5 counties, where you are likely to go unpunished if you perform a crime within a certain area. You really think you would have been better if you worked at the pretenders?!?!? lol


HAHA I get it too. In regards to the pretenders, I had the same attitude going in myself. But then I saw how demoralized our office is among the non-rookies. That environment makes people either not care, or make the job about locking up everyone that comes your way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Can some NYC ADAs talk about the career timeline through offices( misdemeanor to felony to specialization)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can some NYC ADAs talk about the career timeline through offices( misdemeanor to felony to specialization)?


Former BXADA here:
The way it is now in the Bronx is that a majority of the class will start in a trial bureau, handling misdemeanors ranging from Police Officer observed infractions of the Penal Law (knife possession, jumping a turnstile, marijuana cigarettes, driving while intoxicated) to complainant based crimes (assaults, petite larceny etc). You will be responsible for the drafting of the cases from the moment the officer brings it to the DA's office and prosecuting the matter until it is resolved by plea, dismissal or conviction.

Usually you are doing misdemeanors for about 2 years to a year and a half. However, from what i have heard and due to the lack of mid-level ada's, the opportunity to do felonies is happening relatively quicker-usually about a year or a little bit longer.

As for specialization- the opportunity to be placed in a specialized bureau will vary. In the Bronx the specialized bureaus vary from Child Abuse and Sex Crimes, Domestic Violence, Economic Crimes, Criminal Enterprises, Public Integrity, Special Investigations, Riker's Prosecutions, Gangs/Major Case, Appeals, Homicide. Placement will vary on needs of the office and skills developed (no junior ada is being placed in homicide.)

For many of the specialized bureaus you can start working there in the beginning of your career. For others you may have to work in another then transfer. The opportunity to move is pretty fluid as long as there is room and the numbers work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:26 pm

I got a call about doing a panel interview at an office (one of the NYC ones) where I haven't had a first-round interview at yet (and no prior internship experience at that office). Has that happened with anyone else? Is it more likely the person scheduled me for a first-round and just misspoke?

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Any Brooklyn/KCDA ADAs out there who can speak about what that office is like? Any word about how the DA election is shaping up?

nyclawgal
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby nyclawgal » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a call about doing a panel interview at an office (one of the NYC ones) where I haven't had a first-round interview at yet (and no prior internship experience at that office). Has that happened with anyone else? Is it more likely the person scheduled me for a first-round and just misspoke?


Hi there, I also skipped 1st round and went straight to panel interview. Did you already graduate and take the bar? this was my case. In any case, I highly doubt the person misspoke. Good luck :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Surely these DA's offices know that we need to hear back from them relatively soon now that bar applications will be due in the coming weeks, right? Or is that simply viewed as our problem and not theirs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Surely these DA's offices know that we need to hear back from them relatively soon now that bar applications will be due in the coming weeks, right? Or is that simply viewed as our problem and not theirs?


What do bar applications have to do with getting an offer? (Total newb here.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Surely these DA's offices know that we need to hear back from them relatively soon now that bar applications will be due in the coming weeks, right? Or is that simply viewed as our problem and not theirs?


What do bar applications have to do with getting an offer? (Total newb here.)



Just that I'm applying for jobs all over the country and once I accept a position, I'll need to get my bar application in ASAP to meet that state's bar exam deadline. I suppose I could just go ahead and apply for any state's UBE exam and then just character and fitness into the UBE state I end up taking a position in, but that seems like a pain in the ass compared to just being able to apply for the bar exam in the state where I'll be working next fall.

Anonymous User
Posts: 280779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Any updates regarding offers from NYC DA's offices (offers, rejections, hearing nothing after the final round).
My final round in Queens was the week before thanksgiving and I have heard nothing back yet.
My final round in the Bronx was mid december, but have heard nothing back yet.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.