What Annoys You question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What Annoys You question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 pm

So I was asked this today, was not expecting it/never gotten it before. I basically thought it was like a down-to-earth question, not one to be answered with something like ''When people in the work place dont responnd timely to emails''. Rather, I thought it was more of a get-to-know-you personally question, or something like that.

So I said things that annoy me are 1.) Parking in the city since its expensive and always a hassle, and 2.) When people are overly nice and fake being genuine, such as when people are overly kind when asking for something, such as ''Excuse me? Sorry Im such a pest, but could I potentially have a bit more ketchup? Thanks so much, really appreciate it'' etc

DId it totally mess this up? Feel like I should have answered something more professional, like ''I get annoyed when people are afraid to admit they dont know the answer' or something like that

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: What Annoys You question

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Your basic approach--focusing on the personal rather than the professional--was fine. If you get asked this again, I suggest stopping at the first thing (parking in the city). The second thing makes you sound a bit asocial and difficult. But it's hard to answer weird questions like this. You did fine.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:11 pm

If they wanted a work-related response, they would have said so. The fact that they didn't tells me they either wanted a personal response, or they didn't care enough to bother correcting you, which means they didn't care anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:48 pm

It was probably a personality/fit question; there's no real "right" way to answer, because it depends on the interviewer/the firm's culture.

I dunno if I'd have said the second one either, but unless you got A Look from the interviewer after saying it, you're probably fine. It's probably better that you moved away from job-related issues and gave a personal one; I'd just stick to ones that are less judgmental of people, because you really have to know a person well before you can be sure that won't offend them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It was probably a personality/fit question; there's no real "right" way to answer, because it depends on the interviewer/the firm's culture.

I dunno if I'd have said the second one either, but unless you got A Look from the interviewer after saying it, you're probably fine. It's probably better that you moved away from job-related issues and gave a personal one; I'd just stick to ones that are less judgmental of people, because you really have to know a person well before you can be sure that won't offend them.

OP here.

Yeah, I just thought the things I said were really trivial and kind of strange. I mean how often does the 'overly nice' person come up? Like almost never, the only reason I said it was because just before I went into the firm I heard a guy at a coffee shop being overly nice. I guess I should have said 'when people are inauhtentic'' but itstead it sounds like I'm generally just mean and hate pleasantries.

Oh well.

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:36 pm

It was probably a south park reference.

Return to “Legal Employment�