Leaving internship 1 week early?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving internship 1 week early?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:32 pm

I'm a rising 3L at a T6. I'm summering at a small litigation firm. Usually interns stay around 10 weeks but we were told the end date was flexible. I originally said I would leave after 10 weeks; however I moved my end date up a week when the assistant in charge of those things emailed the interns to asking for each of their end dates. I moved mine up a week because I do not like the internship, to put it mildly (my first of 4 internship/clinic experiences I have not genuinely enjoyed). This would be my last day under the new date. One of the main partners, who is in charge of the internship program, pointed out that I originally said I would stay a week later, and asked if I would stay the next week because they have briefings due.

I agreed, however I am seriously dreading going back (neither the work given to interns nor the strong and abrasive personalities in the firm agree with me) and this internship has made me no longer interested in this type of litigation. (As a side note, the same partner the day before had asked me to come back as a part-time intern for the academic year and I said I'd let her know.) I think I know the answer and that I am not going to like it, but would it be inappropriate to email her this evening and say that I'm not returning next week or year?

IsThisForReal

Gold

Re: Leaving internship 1 week early?

Postby IsThisForReal » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:34 pm

If the last communication was that you would go back next week, you should go back next week.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:38 pm

i don't think you have a compelling reason to make it 9 weeks instead of 10.

alex24

New

Postby alex24 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:02 pm

This is OP: I understand that it wouldn't be the best decision. I guess my question is really how likely it is to come back and bite me somehow.

Serett

Diamond

Postby Serett » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Before you relented, I would've said it was fine to stay firm on leaving a week early if the end date was flexible and you could come up with (or better, actually have) a good reason, but it'd be pretty shitty to do it now. How likely is it that it comes back to bite you? Depends on how small the market is, or whether you're changing markets, and how likely it is the firm could poison the well by brushing elbows with the firms you're likely applying to instead.

I ended my internship a week early, but I gave plenty of notice, had a legitimate OCI-related reason, and did it with my employer's blessing. Your reason is honestly crappy, and you can bear it another week. But it's not necessarily likely that it would actually come back to haunt you.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post removed...

Postby GreenEggs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:22 pm

Post removed...

Return to “Legal Employment�