Graduated t14 jobless, just took the bar. Wtf do i do now

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Graduated t14 jobless, just took the bar. Wtf do i do now

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:24 am

I've been applying all summer. Only responses I've gotten are rejections or telling me to apply after i get my bar results

Wtf do i do now? I'm running out of money. Do i really apply to Hot Topic and try to work my way up to manager? (MTal reference)

But really... It's kinda fucked up how we have a 4 month gap of nothing while our loans accrue interest...

And if i fail, thats a whole year id have to wait.

Sorry this is a quasi-rant but i do have a genuine question

Do places other than biglaw let you work without passing the bar? Also, what should i be doing now? I know there isn't a straight forward answer to this so i guess I'm looking for anectdotes

Anonymous User

Re: Graduated t14 jobless, just took the bar. Wtf do i do now

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been applying all summer. Only responses I've gotten are rejections or telling me to apply after i get my bar results

Wtf do i do now? I'm running out of money. Do i really apply to Hot Topic and try to work my way up to manager? (MTal reference)

But really... It's kinda fucked up how we have a 4 month gap of nothing while our loans accrue interest...

Do places other than biglaw let you work without passing the bar? Also, what should i be doing now? I know there isn't a straight forward answer to this so i guess I'm looking for anectdotes

What school did you go to? If it's T14, I find it surprising that there are no resources you can tap into for help and advice

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:38 am

Are you working with Career Services at your school? I'm finding it hard to believe there aren't resources to at least help your search.

In any case, good luck and I hope you find something soon

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been applying all summer. Only responses I've gotten are rejections or telling me to apply after i get my bar results

What is your gpa and previous work experience? You need to apply as broadly as you can and you need to make finding a job your actual job, if you have not yet done so. By that, I mean go to school or coffee place and apply 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. apply to state clerkships, bankruptcy or magistrate clerkships, staff positions, biglaw and smaller firms, compliance jobs, city, state and government jobs. There is no real answer to your question but if you are looking for anecdotes: I know people in your position have ended in biglaw, clerkships, school funded positions followed by law firm, smaller firms, city gov law jobs. It is hard at this point though.
Last edited by Pokemon on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:53 am

you do doc review for 25/hr and keep applying to law jobs

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:13 am

JohannDeMann wrote:

This.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:52 am

What city are you living in? Secondary markets should be receptive to your T14 degree. I'm a T14 grad living in a medium sized city doing public entity rep and insurance stuff. It ain't big law money but they were happy to have me.

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:58 am

A rural NM DA hired a for-profit law school grad several years out of law school who had never taken any bar as a "clerk" who would do "research" for the office while studying for the bar by night. Desperate employers will take a flier on someone who is a very good bet to pass the bar.

r6_philly

Diamond

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:17 am

There are ways to hustle something if you can look past the big/mid law glamour.

Which T14/city? PM if you don't want to post publicly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:41 am

I'd try to get a meeting with your county attorney. Explain you school's bridge program, and say you can test me out for 9 months or however long it lasts, but if I do a good job I want to get hired for the following year. Apparently that is how my county's last 3 prosecutors were hired.

r6_philly

Diamond

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd try to get a meeting with your county attorney. Explain you school's bridge program, and say you can test me out for 9 months or however long it lasts, but if I do a good job I want to get hired for the following year. Apparently that is how my county's last 3 prosecutors were hired.

A friend of mine did the same thing and got hired after a year. But there should be other paid options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:49 pm

I completely agree it isn't ideal. But the easiest way to get a new job is to have a current job, so if you are sitting on the sidelines it is tougher. Also clerking for a state court judge could be an option, as the deadlines are usually way later than federal ones. Some regional firms prefer hiring the state court clerks as opposed to those right out of law school, because they can get a drink or dinner with the judge and get much better feedback than GPA or law school credentials. Also in the smaller firms there is a lot less margin for error when it comes to hiring.

r6_philly

Diamond

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I completely agree it isn't ideal. But the easiest way to get a new job is to have a current job, so if you are sitting on the sidelines it is tougher. Also clerking for a state court judge could be an option, as the deadlines are usually way later than federal ones. Some regional firms prefer hiring the state court clerks as opposed to those right out of law school, because they can get a drink or dinner with the judge and get much better feedback than GPA or law school credentials. Also in the smaller firms there is a lot less margin for error when it comes to hiring.

As for small firm hiring, it's all different, but I would considering hiring a T14 grad regardless of grades if the person is polite, nice, and willing to learn... As I said in my other thread, none of my clients care about GPA, but they do care about the school. So if I like the person and think it's a good fit for my clients I will considering hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:30 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:

This.

Not OP but relevant to my interests. You can do doc review without a license? Does this vary by state? I looked into this recently and all of the postings in my area required a license.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:

This.

Not OP but relevant to my interests. You can do doc review without a license? Does this vary by state? I looked into this recently and all of the postings in my area required a license.

Yeah, you might need to be licensed. I suppose it depends by state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:35 am

Provide some more info if you can. I know of places that are hiring (my firm) but will depend on your past work experiences and GPA

r6_philly

Diamond

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:22 am

1styearlateral wrote:
Yeah, you might need to be licensed. I suppose it depends by state.

It depends on the vendor and the client requirements. We have used vendors without US JDs.

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:45 am

Here with a similar concern, my job is is bar passage contingent, and I know for a fact that I failed. Not even sure where to look for jobs because all the doc review postings require bar passage and all the compliance/real estate jobs require years of experience. Thinking of taking my law degree and past three years of work off my resume and trying to get a receptionist job?

r6_philly

Diamond

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:09 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:Here with a similar concern, my job is is bar passage contingent, and I know for a fact that I failed. Not even sure where to look for jobs because all the doc review postings require bar passage and all the compliance/real estate jobs require years of experience. Thinking of taking my law degree and past three years of work off my resume and trying to get a receptionist job?

You might be able to find a small firm that does transactional type work mostly (no court appearance). Or immigration work. I don't think receptionist is necessary, you are still a better hire than a paralegal, and you will pass the bar soon enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Provide some more info if you can. I know of places that are hiring (my firm) but will depend on your past work experiences and GPA

OP here

T6... graduated middle of class
1L summer Gov
2L summer in house @ F100
Went to school in the East Coast but looking for a job in SoCal

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Provide some more info if you can. I know of places that are hiring (my firm) but will depend on your past work experiences and GPA

OP here

1L summer Gov

What agency?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:59 pm

Do you know any other people from your school in the same position? What do they wind up doing?

I have a hard time believing a T6 grad is going to have to resort to doc review.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you know any other people from your school in the same position? What do they wind up doing?

I have a hard time believing a T6 grad is going to have to resort to doc review.

Yeah, keep applying to jobs. Something will stick. Your resume isn't bad at all. Look at smaller to mid law firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here

1L summer Gov

What agency?

City gov.
Anonymous User wrote:Do you know any other people from your school in the same position? What do they wind up doing?

Don't know many at my school but of those I know, they're going into gov., nonprofit, or still looking like me.

Return to “Legal Employment�