2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:02 am

Anyone know NRF callback --> offer timeline?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not a Texas student but, I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight into STB's Houston office?

I interviewed there and really liked everyone but I'm not sure it is a smart move. It is a true satellite office and I got the impression that it is only there to be on the ground when NYC needs them.

Have you heard back from STB yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:26 pm

If someone had a K&E Houston offer and an offer from a more well-established firm in another market, what would you do? Is K&E gonna limit me to energy work? Is it a risky firm to start your career right now/would it be smarter to go to a firm that isn't so new?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:37 pm

Jones Day Dallas ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If someone had a K&E Houston offer and an offer from a more well-established firm in another market, what would you do? Is K&E gonna limit me to energy work? Is it a risky firm to start your career right now/would it be smarter to go to a firm that isn't so new?

K&E is a great firm. However, it's unclear how great it will remain to be in Houston. It has a notorious reputation for being very difficult to work with and the partners they took from BB/V&E are a reason for that reputation. Their bankruptcy is booming, but it's unclear what will happen when the markets shift. I personally declined them for these very reasons; but, to each their own. If you like the people there, go with it.

I would take a look at the K&E Houston thread...you can see how strong the koolaid is in that office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If someone had a K&E Houston offer and an offer from a more well-established firm in another market, what would you do? Is K&E gonna limit me to energy work? Is it a risky firm to start your career right now/would it be smarter to go to a firm that isn't so new?

K&E is a great firm. However, it's unclear how great it will remain to be in Houston. It has a notorious reputation for being very difficult to work with and the partners they took from BB/V&E are a reason for that reputation. Their bankruptcy is booming, but it's unclear what will happen when the markets shift. I personally declined them for these very reasons; but, to each their own. If you like the people there, go with it.

I would take a look at the K&E Houston thread...you can see how strong the koolaid is in that office.

Similar to this, does anyone have any insight into Sidley? How would you decide between it and a more established Houston firm (V&E, Haynes & Boone, Andrews Kurth)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:24 pm

Any offers from JAckson Walker Houston yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

This is such nonsense. K&E is not a risky firm to start your career at. They're 2 years old and have already garnered significant market share. They've got a lease on new office space in the newest building in Houston and have invested significantly in the market. Bankruptcy has been a huge revenue source undoubtedly, but each one of the practice groups is (and was pre-downturn) plenty busy with non-bankruptcy related work. It's just a nice hedge when the markets go down. I wouldn't worry about the firm being "new" at all. Most of the work is energy related, but that really just means that it is M&A, capital markets, finance etc. for energy companies. I've done both energy M&A and middle market general M&A and they are honestly no different at all.

Also - don't take advice from random anonymous law students who don't know the market and post baseless gossip on TLS. Do second looks and ask these questions of the associates at all the firms you have offers at.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from JAckson Walker Houston yet?

Would love to know this as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is such nonsense. K&E is not a risky firm to start your career at. They're 2 years old and have already garnered significant market share. They've got a lease on new office space in the newest building in Houston and have invested significantly in the market. Bankruptcy has been a huge revenue source undoubtedly, but each one of the practice groups is (and was pre-downturn) plenty busy with non-bankruptcy related work. It's just a nice hedge when the markets go down. I wouldn't worry about the firm being "new" at all. Most of the work is energy related, but that really just means that it is M&A, capital markets, finance etc. for energy companies. I've done both energy M&A and middle market general M&A and they are honestly no different at all.

Also - don't take advice from random anonymous law students who don't know the market and post baseless gossip on TLS. Do second looks and ask these questions of the associates at all the firms you have offers at.

So much koolaid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So much koolaid.

but market shattering bonuses!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Similar to this, does anyone have any insight into Sidley? How would you decide between it and a more established Houston firm (V&E, Haynes & Boone, Andrews Kurth)?

Careful here. I am one of those who says you should not go to K&E if you have V&E and BB offers, simply because of the unknown, what happens when bankruptcy/restructuring slows, is all that guaranteed comp going to screw them, partnership unknown, etc. But V&E, HayBoo and AK are all on very different levels. If you have an offer from V&E, I would say you should go there. If I was between K&E and AK, I would be very torn and probably go K&E, but it would be hard. No reason you should be considering HayBoo in Houston in any situation here. If you were thinking about the Dallas office that would be fine great firm and good culture in Dallas. They are a non-player in Houston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:15 pm

Has anyone who did the callbacks last week heard from BB or V&E? Radio silence so far...What is the usual timeline? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who did the callbacks last week heard from BB or V&E? Radio silence so far...What is the usual timeline? Thanks!

Dallas or Houston? VE had a "check-in" dinner in Austin last night

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who did the callbacks last week heard from BB or V&E? Radio silence so far...What is the usual timeline? Thanks!

Dallas or Houston? VE had a "check-in" dinner in Austin last night

I interviewed with the Houston office. Was the dinner for both offices? Than probably I am out. Thanks for the information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:13 pm

Does anyone have inputs on Baker & Mckenzie and Fish & Richardson in Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have inputs on Baker & Mckenzie and Fish & Richardson in Dallas?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yup. That post read like a laundry list of gossip pushed out by a recruiter unhappy about the number of recruits and laterals going to another firm. Even if any of those things were true, none of them are things a law student would be in a position to confirm or predict. I think any practicing attorney familiar with the nature of different practice groups in a law office and the Houston market stats for the last few quarters would tell you to take that post with a lot of salt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have inputs on Baker & Mckenzie and Fish & Richardson in Dallas?

+1

I know at least one SMU offer out of Fish (and there may be more i just dont know). soon after oci i think

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:49 pm

Bracewell apparently will be running CBs through the end of September. That is their target date to fill their class, so you may potentially still be alive if you did not get round 1 and they are not a fan of what comes through.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yup. That post read like a laundry list of gossip pushed out by a recruiter unhappy about the number of recruits and laterals going to another firm. Even if any of those things were true, none of them are things a law student would be in a position to confirm or predict. I think any practicing attorney familiar with the nature of different practice groups in a law office and the Houston market stats for the last few quarters would tell you to take that post with a lot of salt.

As someone strongly considering going to KE Houston, are you saying not to believe the "unclear" and "very difficult" rumors? Or should I believe the post above saying KE is not a risky firm to start my career at?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell apparently will be running CBs through the end of September. That is their target date to fill their class, so you may potentially still be alive if you did not get round 1 and they are not a fan of what comes through.

I specifically chose not to take Bracewell serious because of this: running CBs through the end of Sept.... Sounds like something a midsize firm would do imo. They are not going to recruit top talent with this strategy whatsoever. I understand that they moved from 2d half to full 8 week summer. But they need to realize that the competition is fierce for full summer and at this rate they will have the bottom of the pickings. Hope they know what they are getting themselves into.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:32 pm

Anyone heard from Winstead (Houston)? They are still only doing first half summer for six weeks. What on earth are their summers supposed to do the second half of summer when nearly everyone else has gone full summer???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Winstead (Houston)? They are still only doing first half summer for six weeks. What on earth are their summers supposed to do the second half of summer when nearly everyone else has gone full summer???

Midsize firms tend to do second-half programs.

cannibal ox

Gold

Postby cannibal ox » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Winstead (Houston)? They are still only doing first half summer for six weeks. What on earth are their summers supposed to do the second half of summer when nearly everyone else has gone full summer???

Travel.

Relax.

Not panic.

Return to “Legal Employment?