2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:37 pm

oopsigotdingedagain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thompson Coe CB
what school?
UT

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:50 pm

i got my CB last week.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thompson Coe CB
what school?
UT

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Locke Lord (Dallas)? Anything anybody? Callbacks, offers or dings?

oopsigotdingedagain

New

Post by oopsigotdingedagain » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any offers/CBs/dings from Thompson Coe (H)?
Callback invite last Wednesday. (UT)
Thanks. What was the time between your screener and CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any offers/CBs/dings from Thompson Coe (H)?
Callback invite last Wednesday. (UT)
Thanks. What was the time between your screener and CB?
Screener: Aug. 9th (OCI)
CB: 17th (scheduled for this week)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Locke Lord (Dallas)? Anything anybody? Callbacks, offers or dings?
Big wave of callback interviews occurred early last week. All schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:54 pm

For TX firms, what's the typical CB->offer time frame?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:21 pm

Where does Kirkland (tx) rank for people actually at Texas schools? There's obviously the Kirkland topic here, but what about UT/UH/SMU students, what are yalls opinions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Where does Kirkland (tx) rank for people actually at Texas schools? There's obviously the Kirkland topic here, but what about UT/UH/SMU students, what are yalls opinions?
It's a V10 firm at the end of the day and I have a feeling they will break high into the TX firm rankings in the next year or two once Kirkland moves into the new building solidifying their presence in Houston. The bonuses are great and hours are pretty similar to those at BB/VE/LW. Kirkland doesn't really recruit at UH/SMU so this is difficult to answer. All of the UH/SMU attorneys at Kirkland are laterals from what I've seen online and heard from friends.

For full disclosure, I had a callback with Kirkland this cycle and the lowest ranked school present was UT. Everyone else was T14. No word yet so I'm sure it's a ding.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Where does Kirkland (tx) rank for people actually at Texas schools? There's obviously the Kirkland topic here, but what about UT/UH/SMU students, what are yalls opinions?
It's a V10 firm at the end of the day and I have a feeling they will break high into the TX firm rankings in the next year or two once Kirkland moves into the new building solidifying their presence in Houston. The bonuses are great and hours are pretty similar to those at BB/VE/LW. Kirkland doesn't really recruit at UH/SMU so this is difficult to answer. All of the UH/SMU attorneys at Kirkland are laterals from what I've seen online and heard from friends.

For full disclosure, I had a callback with Kirkland this cycle and the lowest ranked school present was UT. Everyone else was T14. No word yet so I'm sure it's a ding.
There were multiple SMU students at my CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There were multiple SMU students at my CB
There was one SMU student at mine but he was a 3L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:50 am

Can anyone shed any light on Akin Gump (Dallas)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 am

SMU student (didn't get a screening interview b/c grades) - all the top people in my class (that I know of) bid Kirkland and several got interviews, but I don't know how many got callbacks. It seems like it's viewed as in the same tier as BB/VE/LW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:35 am

Any movement on Haynes Boone (Dallas) offers for UT?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:

SMU student (didn't get a screening interview b/c grades) - all the top people in my class (that I know of) bid Kirkland and several got interviews, but I don't know how many got callbacks. It seems like it's viewed as in the same tier as BB/VE/LW.
SMU student. KE was much less particular about grades than BB/VE/LE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Current TX Associate: Agreed. Speaking very generally, the associates KE has brought in either did not get offers at BB/VE or were lower performing associates at BB/VE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Current TX Associate: Agreed. Speaking very generally, the associates KE has brought in either did not get offers at BB/VE or were lower performing associates at BB/VE.
Also a current TX Associate. I agree with this. I know a number of juniors at KE, all either were at firms with a weak corporate practice, no offered at one of their splits with a decent corp. practice, or were not well liked at their current firm. I know a couple who moved over to switch practice groups which is probably a good move (example from tax or an energy group to M&A at Kirkland). The top associates at BB/VE are not making that move at the junior rank - why not wait till you are a 4+ year if you want to make that move and get a decent signing bonus.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:44 pm

What do you all think? Kirkland (TX) vs Andrews Kurth vs Bracewell? Which should I go to? All in Houston practicing corporate law.

Bananapancakes

New

Post by Bananapancakes » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you all think? Kirkland (TX) vs Andrews Kurth vs Bracewell? Which should I go to? All in Houston practicing corporate law.
Please don't base this decision off of what random anonymous internet people say. Make a list of what you want in a firm (level/quality of work, your role on the deal/responsibilities, vacation/personal life, comp, etc.), and ask for second looks with associates. Be honest with the associates about what you're looking for and if their firm is not a good fit for you, it should come out in conversations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Sidley Austin....ding

but, they gave me a nice Yeti Rambler?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Bananapancakes wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you all think? Kirkland (TX) vs Andrews Kurth vs Bracewell? Which should I go to? All in Houston practicing corporate law.
Please don't base this decision off of what random anonymous internet people say. Make a list of what you want in a firm (level/quality of work, your role on the deal/responsibilities, vacation/personal life, comp, etc.), and ask for second looks with associates. Be honest with the associates about what you're looking for and if their firm is not a good fit for you, it should come out in conversations.
I would certainly consider choosing KE over the other two. My general impression is that it's a safer choice for corporate than AK or Bracewell going forward. This should be a relevant factor and is something that associates at those firms would almost certainly never even hint at with a prospective summer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone shed any light on Akin Gump (Dallas)?
Dying office. Horrible culture. Avoid at all costs.

Bananapancakes

New

Post by Bananapancakes » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bananapancakes wrote:
I would certainly consider choosing KE over the other two. My general impression is that it's a safer choice for corporate than AK or Bracewell going forward. This should be a relevant factor and is something that associates at those firms would almost certainly never even hint at with a prospective summer.

Fair enough and I agree with you. Also see e.g., http://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/bad-timi ... ow-raises/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Bracewell will do 2d half, can you split?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bracewell will do 2d half, can you split?
Same anon here that posted this question originally. I am just trying to get general reputations and thoughts from others on their reputations and how they rank in TX.

Unfortunately, Bracewell has moved to First 8 weeks minimum. Andrews Kurth has switched to first 8 weeks as well. I don't know of any firms offering 2d half beginning next summer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”