2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from AZA?

From UT, at least three confirmed CBs and one offer so far.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:34 pm

BVest wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Did anyone else notice their screener results get drastically worse as the week went on? Not sure if it was my energy level or if it had something to do with the firms/interviewers.

Yep. Most of my screeners were on Thursday & Friday and I didn't get a CB from most of them. Most of my CBs came from the first couple of days.

I think it might also be because most of the firms with large class sizes were on the first two days.

I think it's probably that (it would be easy to add a column to the UT spreadsheet of positions/interview and see if that decreases by date), but also partly the quality of candidate that the firm feels they'll be able to get. As in "Well, this person's great, but they're obviously BB/NRF/VE-bound." It's a form of yield protection, not from a standpoint of "we have to protect our yield numbers" like with law schools but more of "why waste our time; they won't work here anyway."

Pretty sure that wasn't the thought process in my case, but it makes sense for others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V&E H ding (no CB)

+1

Rracer

New

Postby Rracer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V&E H ding (no CB)

+1

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Baker Botts (Houston) offers out yet?

A wave went out on Friday afternoon

To UT students? Anyone know if more offers come out later on in the process from Baker Botts or if those who didn't get an offer in the first wave are dinged?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Not a UT student, but I got a Baker Botts (Houston) offer Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not a UT student, but I got a Baker Botts (Houston) offer Friday.

when was your CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Baker and McKenzie Ding....
I am finding it therapeutic to note them here. Feels slightly less loser-y to strike out if I am providing some information to others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Baker and McKenzie Ding....
I am finding it therapeutic to note them here. Feels slightly less loser-y to strike out if I am providing some information to others.

+1

Rracer

New

Postby Rracer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:54 pm

BVest wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Did anyone else notice their screener results get drastically worse as the week went on? Not sure if it was my energy level or if it had something to do with the firms/interviewers.

Yep. Most of my screeners were on Thursday & Friday and I didn't get a CB from most of them. Most of my CBs came from the first couple of days.

I think it might also be because most of the firms with large class sizes were on the first two days.

I think it's probably that (it would be easy to add a column to the UT spreadsheet of positions/interview and see if that decreases by date), but also partly the quality of candidate that the firm feels they'll be able to get. As in "Well, this person's great, but they're obviously BB/NRF/VE-bound." It's a form of yield protection, not from a standpoint of "we have to protect our yield numbers" like with law schools but more of "why waste our time; they won't work here anyway."

Where can we find this spreadsheet? Thanks!

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:42 am

Rracer wrote:
BVest wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thought this (number of SA slots) was in the spreadsheet CSO put out pre-OCI, but I could be misremembering. I know the number of interview slots was provided somewhere (either on the spreadsheet or in Symplicity). It's been a few years since I did OCI; or maybe I added it to my own copy spreadsheet based on NALP data. Sorry if I misled.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:56 am

K&S (Austin) offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Anyone from UT receive a CB from Holland & Knight (Dallas)?

cannibal ox

Gold

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:02 pm

BVest wrote:
Rracer wrote:
BVest wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thought this (number of SA slots) was in the spreadsheet CSO put out pre-OCI, but I could be misremembering. I know the number of interview slots was provided somewhere (either on the spreadsheet or in Symplicity). It's been a few years since I did OCI; or maybe I added it to my own copy spreadsheet based on NALP data. Sorry if I misled.

Nope, the spreadsheet still gets emailed out to students before OCI every year. I have a copy of this year's spreadsheet and it still contains that data. Lots of people miss it because it's sort of hidden in an email from CSO, which is among several emails from CSO about the OCI process.

If you're a UT student, then you have this spreadsheet. Search for an email from Sandra Puga on June 20th. The link is included in this email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:28 pm

HayBoo....ding!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Went through UT OCI a couple of weeks ago, only targeting a handful of firms that fit with my background. I now have some dumb questions (sorry everyone).

I have a couple CBs from DC firms - those places moved really fast (same day as the interview, even!). It sounds as though DC hiring is faster-paced than Texas. But for all the rest of the firms, both DC and Texas, I've heard not a peep - not even a ding from the ones I was 100% certain would absolutely ding me. Do you get dings through email or snail mail, or both? Will they even usually bother to reach out to ding you, or do they just silently turn you down you sometimes? (I'm used to non-law hiring processes, where that's the norm.) Also: is there any way of knowing which firms hire on a rolling basis, and which ones will issue all their offers all at once?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:12 pm

My (many) dings have mostly come via email.

yogotti

New

Postby yogotti » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:13 pm

My dings have come by email. Some came within one week of the screener, others were two plus weeks after.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:35 pm

my dings have mostly come by email so far but from 1l oci experience i am expecting some firms to send me letters about november

Poldy

Silver

Postby Poldy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:43 pm

I have only actually heard from one of my seven rejections and it was over email. I had firms that took literally months to actually send the official rejection last spring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:07 pm

Has anyone received an offer from Porter Hedges yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Any offers/CB/dings from Jones Day Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:50 pm

Any offers/CBs/dings from Thompson Coe (H)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers/CB/dings from Jones Day Dallas?

Had a CB last Wednesday. Nothing since.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers/CBs/dings from Thompson Coe (H)?

Callback invite last Wednesday. (UT)

Return to “Legal Employment?