2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm from TX but mass mailed from a school out east. Dinged by Kirkland Ellis Houston and Baker McKenzie Houston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:12 pm

UT:

Fish & Richardson-DING

oopsigotdingedagain

New

Postby oopsigotdingedagain » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Confirmed CBs:
Porter Hedges
Pillsbury Winthrop

What was the time between screener and cb for porter hedges?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Anyone have any general idea about what percentage of BB's UT callbacks they convert to offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UT:

Fish & Richardson-DING

Which office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Dykema and STB dings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Anyone from UT hear from Munch Hardt yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on GDC, Sidley and Weil in Dallas? How do they compare to V&E / BB?

Each of those offices have smart, talented lawyers. My impressions below:

GDC: Most prestigious of the 5, but very slim partnership chances and not a ton of corporate work despite the very impressive corporate partners they have. I have multiple friends there who are/were very slow and are looking to leave or who have already left. They also have some great litigators (including former SG Jim Ho), but this is still very much a satellite with few long-term prospects.

Sidley: Was a nothing office until they brought over all of the Weil people. They have good work, but I hear the litigation partners are very difficult people to work for/with (there were many lit associates at Weil who chose to stay at Weil bc of this - despite the fact that only 1 Weil lit partner stayed behind). They have some talented corporate lawyers (including two recent hires from BB). Overall, a bit less prestigious than GDC but prob a bit better long-term prospects. Lit section is very busy, but not sure about Corporate - you don't hear their name very much, but perhaps that will change?

Weil: I would avoid. As a firm, it still gets good work, but this office is definitely dying. They have 4 corporate partners left - only one of which was actually home grown - the other three are all laterals (2 of whom got passed over and forced to leave when they were up only to make it elsewhere and then get the call to come back when they had the mass exodus two years ago). I believe there's only one lit partner left.

VE: I would avoid this as well. You'll work as hard or harder than at GDC, Sidley and Weil, with maybe sliiiightly better partnership chances and lower pay. VE generally only matches Cravath bonus at 2300 hours. The office is very dysfunctional and political - all of the decisions are made in Houston and if you've ever spent time in the VE Houston office, you would never want to work in the Dallas office. That said, they have great work by virtue of the strength of the VE name.

BB: I would go here if I wanted to do IP work. Or maybe litigation. Their corp group is pretty small and you almost never see them on deals - plus they just lost two big players to Sidley. Better office culture than VE by far and similar pay.

In Dallas, here would be my target firms:

Transactional:
Same as above, I would focus on Weil and GDC if I had no plans to work longer than 3-4 years. And then AG if I couldn't get those.
However, if want to have a shot at partner, I would focus on TK and HB - TK has the most sophisticated energy practice in Dallas (sort of like a smaller VE Houston), and HB has a better finance practice. Both are strong in general corporate.
After that, I would consider Sidley (less pay than the Weil/GDC types with similar partnership prospects).
And then Baker Botts (same pay as HB/TK but smaller group, satellite office issues). But generally friendly group.
And then JD and VE (very tough personalities, high attrition, low partnership chances) - JD has prob the lowest pay of any BigLaw firm in Texas.
Finally, Fulbright and LL - very little Corp work in Dallas but better office cultures than VE/JD.

This is obviously coming from a HB or TK person. "TK has the most sophisticated energy practice in Dallas (sort of like a smaller VE Houston), and HB has a better finance practice." This cannot be further from the truth...almost comical. If you want good transactional work in Dallas, GDC/VE/BB are the clear winners. Weil is still imploding. Sidley is more litigation. TK and HB are mostly mid-market. Also TK and HB generally pay less come bonus time... a lot less (except for maybe this last past year when HB paid mkt bonuses), and regardless what people say you will work the same amount of hours. For partnership chances at a Dallas firm, start off at a BB/VE and then lateral to a TK/HB or Winstead. You will be ahead of all other associates there.

As for culture, I have worked with all of GDC/VE/BB and have friends at all three, they have no complaints and actually enjoy working there. Lots of young partners. And you have the best/sophisticated work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Any offers out of Houston firms yet? I know that there were tons of CBs happening this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on GDC, Sidley and Weil in Dallas? How do they compare to V&E / BB?

Each of those offices have smart, talented lawyers. My impressions below:

GDC: Most prestigious of the 5, but very slim partnership chances and not a ton of corporate work despite the very impressive corporate partners they have. I have multiple friends there who are/were very slow and are looking to leave or who have already left. They also have some great litigators (including former SG Jim Ho), but this is still very much a satellite with few long-term prospects.

Sidley: Was a nothing office until they brought over all of the Weil people. They have good work, but I hear the litigation partners are very difficult people to work for/with (there were many lit associates at Weil who chose to stay at Weil bc of this - despite the fact that only 1 Weil lit partner stayed behind). They have some talented corporate lawyers (including two recent hires from BB). Overall, a bit less prestigious than GDC but prob a bit better long-term prospects. Lit section is very busy, but not sure about Corporate - you don't hear their name very much, but perhaps that will change?

Weil: I would avoid. As a firm, it still gets good work, but this office is definitely dying. They have 4 corporate partners left - only one of which was actually home grown - the other three are all laterals (2 of whom got passed over and forced to leave when they were up only to make it elsewhere and then get the call to come back when they had the mass exodus two years ago). I believe there's only one lit partner left.

VE: I would avoid this as well. You'll work as hard or harder than at GDC, Sidley and Weil, with maybe sliiiightly better partnership chances and lower pay. VE generally only matches Cravath bonus at 2300 hours. The office is very dysfunctional and political - all of the decisions are made in Houston and if you've ever spent time in the VE Houston office, you would never want to work in the Dallas office. That said, they have great work by virtue of the strength of the VE name.

BB: I would go here if I wanted to do IP work. Or maybe litigation. Their corp group is pretty small and you almost never see them on deals - plus they just lost two big players to Sidley. Better office culture than VE by far and similar pay.

In Dallas, here would be my target firms:

Transactional:
Same as above, I would focus on Weil and GDC if I had no plans to work longer than 3-4 years. And then AG if I couldn't get those.
However, if want to have a shot at partner, I would focus on TK and HB - TK has the most sophisticated energy practice in Dallas (sort of like a smaller VE Houston), and HB has a better finance practice. Both are strong in general corporate.
After that, I would consider Sidley (less pay than the Weil/GDC types with similar partnership prospects).
And then Baker Botts (same pay as HB/TK but smaller group, satellite office issues). But generally friendly group.
And then JD and VE (very tough personalities, high attrition, low partnership chances) - JD has prob the lowest pay of any BigLaw firm in Texas.
Finally, Fulbright and LL - very little Corp work in Dallas but better office cultures than VE/JD.

This is obviously coming from a HB or TK person. "TK has the most sophisticated energy practice in Dallas (sort of like a smaller VE Houston), and HB has a better finance practice." This cannot be further from the truth...almost comical. If you want good transactional work in Dallas, GDC/VE/BB are the clear winners. Weil is still imploding. Sidley is more litigation. TK and HB are mostly mid-market. Also TK and HB generally pay less come bonus time... a lot less (except for maybe this last past year when HB paid mkt bonuses), and regardless what people say you will work the same amount of hours. For partnership chances at a Dallas firm, start off at a BB/VE and then lateral to a TK/HB or Winstead. You will be ahead of all other associates there.

As for culture, I have worked with all of GDC/VE/BB and have friends at all three, they have no complaints and actually enjoy working there. Lots of young partners. And you have the best/sophisticated work.

GDC, VE and Weil have the most sophisticated corporate work in Dallas - no question. But as you note, Weil is imploding. GDC is also pretty slow in Corp - I have 4 friends that work or worked there who all agreed. VE is slower than it was but still busy - if you want to work there, be my guest. The name is probably the strongest of any in Texas, but the Dallas office leaves a lot to be desired. As for BB, their Dallas Corp group isn't really a player and you know it. BB Houston is obviously still a very big player, though.

And you are right about HB being middle market - it certainly is and will acknowledge that. As for TK, I should have said the most sophisticated energy practice in Dallas (aside from V&E). Part of the reason for that is that there are very few firms in Dallas that do any energy work at all. As for the rest of TK's corporate work, it is also very middle-market. As you note, the hours at each of those firms will be very comparable, but if you are billing 2000-2100 hours at each, your pay will be comparable. The main difference is that if you are billing 2300-2500 hours, you will make much much more at V&E. Possibly more than Cravath. And while there are clearly plenty of options for those looking to leave V&E, the opportunity to go to HB/TK from V&E is rather limited - like all firms, their preference is to hire laterals from outside the city (less likely that person is being pushed out). Laterals looking to leave GDC, VE, BB etc. are more likely to end up at Gardere or Winstead than HB, TK or Jackson Walker.

As for culture, my friends at GDC all enjoyed the office/firm. Similar for BB. As for V&E, I've heard generally mixed reviews - the associates generally like each other but don't generally care for the partners - though, for them, I think the prestige of working at V&E outweighs the cultural downsides, and they don't regret their decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:55 pm

anyone have a latham offer yet? pre-oci or oci

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:21 pm

Anyone hear from Schiff Hardin Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:UT:

Fish & Richardson-DING

Which office?

Dallas

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Schiff Hardin Dallas?

Curious about this too and whether anybody has heard from Baker McKenzie Houston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:48 pm

Anyone heard from Jones Day Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Hunton & Williams....ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hunton & Williams....ding.

me2

and radio silence from JD Dallas but they didnt like me so not surprised

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:00 pm

+1 but don't really care much because interviewer was kind of an asshole

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Jones Day Dallas?

Had my CB on Wednesday. Nothing since.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Has anyone received a ding from HayBoo?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:23 pm

V&E Houston Offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V&E Houston Offer

What was your CB --> offer timeline, if you don't mind sharing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I thought the same thing lol. They asked me what I would if law firms didn't exist in the world. I was like, K, don't want to work at a place like this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thought the same thing lol. They asked me what I would if law firms didn't exist in the world. I was like, K, don't want to work at a place like this.

+1 to all of the above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V&E Houston Offer

What was your CB --> offer timeline, if you don't mind sharing?

2 days, callback from UT OCI

Return to “Legal Employment?