Is 19 Interviews Way Too Many?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cannibal ox

Gold

Re: Is 19 Interviews Way Too Many?

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:05 pm

lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lawman84 wrote:19 interviews sounds like a terrible time. Have no idea how people could suffer through 30+ interviews over a few days.

Because they want a job?

Is that a question? I hope so. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Even if they get one, I don't know if it's worth it. Maybe I'm just a crazy person, but interviews are mentally exhausting. Especially when I have a bunch in a row.

Yeah, why would you want to do an extra couple of interviews when you could save yourself the ~mental exhaustion~ and be unemployed.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:08 pm

lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lawman84 wrote:19 interviews sounds like a terrible time. Have no idea how people could suffer through 30+ interviews over a few days.

Because they want a job?

Is that a question? I hope so. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Even if they get one, I don't know if it's worth it. Maybe I'm just a crazy person, but interviews are mentally exhausting. Especially when I have a bunch in a row.

This sounds kind of like you're humblebragging that you didn't need that many interviews to get a job, but I'm sure you wouldn't do that.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Because they want a job?

This sounds kind of like you're humblebragging that you didn't need that many interviews to get a job, but I'm sure you wouldn't do that.

Nah. I think it was somewhere around 19. It sucked.

cannibal ox wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Because they want a job?

Yeah, why would you want to do an extra couple of interviews when you could save yourself the ~mental exhaustion~ and be unemployed.

Just lock it down with your first interview. Problem solved. Come on, bro. :wink:

registering

New

Postby registering » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:42 am

It really depends on the school. At a T6 that's probably close to the average or a little below. At a lower T14 or T20 that's probably on the high end. I wouldn't consider it "too many" unless they're unevenly spaced, and nothing is "too many" until you get a job. Giving yourself like 20-40 mins between interviews, with a 1 1/2 hour lunch break is probably good.

I don't know if fatigue will affect things too much. The OCI interviewers are also getting fatigued through the process, and even if the firm switches them out halfway through, they still do twice as many interviews as you. You definitely want to be looking your sharpest at the screener, but it might not be as perceptible as you think if you start losing energy towards the end of the day. I had a couple interviewers actually appreciate it when I let them take some time to stand up and stretch as it got to the 4-5PM interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:10 am

registering wrote:It really depends on the school. At a T6 that's probably close to the average or a little below. At a lower T14 or T20 that's probably on the high end. I wouldn't consider it "too many" unless they're unevenly spaced, and nothing is "too many" until you get a job. Giving yourself like 20-40 mins between interviews, with a 1 1/2 hour lunch break is probably good.

Maybe this varies by school but at my school (T-14 if it matters) we have no input on the timing of our interviews, and back-to-backs are common. Still, some people choose to drop interviews to give themselves cushions (i.e. If they have three interviews at 10:00, 10:20, and 10:40, they'll drop the 10:20).

I can't think of a worse idea when you're trying to get a job than to give up opportunities that might get you a job in screeners, so I am adamantly opposed to this up until the point that you get your first offer (then you can be more selective about interviews at firms you wouldn't go to over the offering firm). So I would not recommend tinkering with your schedule to give yourself ideal breaks if it means dropping interviews.

Return to “Legal Employment�