What is a law & motion department?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is a law & motion department?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:57 am

saw this online at some firm for the first time. how is this different from any other litigation department out there?

Anonymous User

Re: What is a law & motion department?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:48 am

Bump.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:12 am

I'm curious about this as well.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Postby Actus Reus » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:51 am

We use a local counsel for law and motion matters. Maybe it just means they provide local counsel assistance (pleadings, date calculation, local rules, etc.)

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:59 am

Within a DA's office, it is the department that takes care of researching the law and writing motions for the litigators.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:01 pm

zot1 wrote:Within a DA's office, it is the department that takes care of researching the law and writing motions for the litigators.

If there's a separate motion writing department, what to litigators do? Isn't litigation basically drafting motions and discovery papers?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:Within a DA's office, it is the department that takes care of researching the law and writing motions for the litigators.

If there's a separate motion writing department, what to litigators do? Isn't litigation basically drafting motions and discovery papers?

I viewed litigators as trial attorneys. They only spend their time in court trying cases. I could be wrong.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:04 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
I viewed litigators as trial attorneys. They only spend their time in court trying cases. I could be wrong.

I think litigators is a broad term but usually refers to the lawyer who does everything pre-trial. Then trial lawyers come in when a case goes to trial. Im noob tho so I could be wrong.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:15 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

troll

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Ok, use trial lawyer instead, I don't really care. These departments are used by very busy DA offices in order to streamline the process.

What would a litigator do? Uh talk to the PD, interview police, witnesses, gather evidence, create a trial strategy, actually argue motions and the case.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Criminal law is pretty different. Some places divide it horizontally so one person does intake/charging, one person does pretrial stuff, another person takes it to trial. Also discovery is really different than in the civil context.

I get you were talking about a firm so none of the above is really applicable, but just for the record.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Criminal law is pretty different. Some places divide it horizontally so one person does intake/charging, one person does pretrial stuff, another person takes it to trial. Also discovery is really different than in the civil context.

I get you were talking about a firm so none of the above is really applicable, but just for the record.

My point was that DA offices have these departments for X reason. Plausible that firms do it too.

Return to “Legal Employment�