Pre-Clerk Summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pre-Clerk Summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:32 pm

I have clerkship lined up for right after graduation in a major market which is on the opposite coast as my school. Since clerkship pay is so low, I'd like to do a pre-clerk summer, and I'm not sure if my current firm will allow it.

The pre-clerk summer could be in either my school's market or the clerkship market which are LA and NYC (not necessarily respectively).

Does anyone know which firms generally do pre-clerk summers and how to approach applying for those spots? I know Susman Godfrey does, and my stats should make me competitive for that, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Pre-Clerk Summer?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:33 pm

I know SullCrom does it at least for people who summered there.

deuceindc

Bronze

Postby deuceindc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:41 pm

Sorry to possibly thread-jack, but: logistically, how does these programs work if you're sitting for the bar?

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:58 am

You sit at the firm for 6 or 8 weeks and get paid to study for the bar and attend events. They give you a nominal assignment or two also. It's a really good gig generally.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:51 am

2014 wrote:You sit at the firm for 6 or 8 weeks and get paid to study for the bar and attend events. They give you a nominal assignment or two also. It's a really good gig generally.

While I know this is the norm, I will say I've heard of exceptions (i.e., the person is treated like an almost associate with the workload to match).

Return to “Legal Employment�