DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Accepted my Fed. Programs offer. Sounds like there are still some offers that haven't been accepted yet, so there is some hope yet for alternates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:19 pm

EOIR (OCIJ) offer this afternoon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR (OCIJ) offer this afternoon.


What location?

DOJapplicant

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:27 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby DOJapplicant » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Perhaps this is already known on this thread, but I was told by someone I'm friendly with from ATR-Wash that they extended all their offers already. I would guess that what comes down now are for alternates.



Unlikely that someone on this thread will know the answer to this, but I am curious whether ATR-Washington, which is currently hiring for 17 slots, has historically taken applicants that were "alternates"? And I guess related to that, how many alternates would ATR have for 17 slots? There seems to be a fair amount of insider baseball on this site, so I thought someone may know these answers.

Any thoughts, guesses, rampant speculation?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:EOIR (OCIJ) offer this afternoon.


What location?


For the sake of anonymity, all I'm comfortable revealing is that it's a major city in the South. Good luck to the rest of you who are waiting – I wish you all the best!

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:42 pm

EOIR OCIJ offer this morning

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:04 pm

If I got my offer on 11/17, does that mean I have until COB on 12/1 to accept? Thats how I count the days.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I got my offer on 11/17, does that mean I have until COB on 12/1 to accept? Thats how I count the days.


I would think so. But if you're planning to not accept, it would be compassionate to let it go sooner.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I got my offer on 11/17, does that mean I have until COB on 12/1 to accept? Thats how I count the days.


I would think so. But if you're planning to not accept, it would be compassionate to let it go sooner.


Personal circumstances are causing the delay - I feel you all out there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else a finalist for ATR-SF? I know they had two spots but wasn't sure whether they'd use both or how many finalists they would pick.


Fellow ATR-SF finalist. No word from them yet.


Did you hear from them yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:21 pm

I haven't accepted or declined my FedP offer, sorry.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else a finalist for ATR-SF? I know they had two spots but wasn't sure whether they'd use both or how many finalists they would pick.


Fellow ATR-SF finalist. No word from them yet.


Did you hear from them yet?


Nope. All quiet on the western front (at least for me).

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:09 am

I I haven't had this sort of sustained anxiety in a while. I want them to offer or cut me loose pretty soon here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I I haven't had this sort of sustained anxiety in a while. I want them to offer or cut me loose pretty soon here.


Agreed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I I haven't had this sort of sustained anxiety in a while. I want them to offer or cut me loose pretty soon here.

+1. I am trying really hard to focus on finals, but keep glancing at the phone just in case my ear plugs are working too well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I I haven't had this sort of sustained anxiety in a while. I want them to offer or cut me loose pretty soon here.

+1. I am trying really hard to focus on finals, but keep glancing at the phone just in case my ear plugs are working too well.


I've triple, quadruple checked to make sure they have the correct phone number for me.

Spoiler alert: They do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Status change to "Not Selected As Finalist." Just in case there was any lingering uncertainty.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I I haven't had this sort of sustained anxiety in a while. I want them to offer or cut me loose pretty soon here.

+1. I am trying really hard to focus on finals, but keep glancing at the phone just in case my ear plugs are working too well.


I've triple, quadruple checked to make sure they have the correct phone number for me.

Spoiler alert: They do.


Notified by a recommender that DOJ just called.
FYI: re: EOIR-OCIJ

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:04 pm

I received an email offer this morning for EOIR-OCIJ. For those keeping track of offers in relation to reference contacts, the offer came one week after my first reference was contacted and one day after my second and third references responded.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Any FedP people turning down offers today? ;) We're ready when you are!

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:42 pm

I have a salary question for any doj attorneys lurking or anyone with knowledge: how soon after meeting the in-grade requirement do you see a salary increase and promotion in gs level? Is it asap or do you have to wait until an annual review? Materials say it's possible for someone who starts at gs12 to be at gs 15 in 3.5 years? Does that happen in practice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else a finalist for ATR-SF? I know they had two spots but wasn't sure whether they'd use both or how many finalists they would pick.


Fellow ATR-SF finalist. No word from them yet.


Did you hear from them yet?


Nope. All quiet on the western front (at least for me).


ATR-SF friend, I got an email back from the SF office today telling me they're still being held up by folks in DC from moving forward in the process. Seems like there's some kind of bureaucracy that's still unfolding. So hopefully you and I will know answers soon, but we still have to wait for now. :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a salary question for any doj attorneys lurking or anyone with knowledge: how soon after meeting the in-grade requirement do you see a salary increase and promotion in gs level? Is it asap or do you have to wait until an annual review? Materials say it's possible for someone who starts at gs12 to be at gs 15 in 3.5 years? Does that happen in practice?


Not a DOJ attorney but was a SLIP last summer, and in a staff meeting it came down the pike that there was some pressure not to give as many top scores on performance reviews (which seem to impact how soon you can move up the salary scale).

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a salary question for any doj attorneys lurking or anyone with knowledge: how soon after meeting the in-grade requirement do you see a salary increase and promotion in gs level? Is it asap or do you have to wait until an annual review? Materials say it's possible for someone who starts at gs12 to be at gs 15 in 3.5 years? Does that happen in practice?

Not a DOJ attorney but was a SLIP last summer, and in a staff meeting it came down the pike that there was some pressure not to give as many top scores on performance reviews (which seem to impact how soon you can move up the salary scale).

My spouse was an honors hire; in her experience, which was wink-nod confirmed by supervisors, going from 11 (which is the starting point for those straight out) to 14 is more or less automatic, which takes 2.5 years (6 months for 11 to 12, 1 year for 12 to 13 and 1 year for 13 to 14). From 14 to 15 takes 1.5 years; while most get this last bump, it's not a given in the way the first steps are.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309297
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a salary question for any doj attorneys lurking or anyone with knowledge: how soon after meeting the in-grade requirement do you see a salary increase and promotion in gs level? Is it asap or do you have to wait until an annual review? Materials say it's possible for someone who starts at gs12 to be at gs 15 in 3.5 years? Does that happen in practice?

In my component, salary reviews happen every year in April, so if you start in the fall, you won't get the bump until you've been there closer to a year and a half (so yes, you have to wait till annual review). But it's a pretty quick climb up the ladder.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.