DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:ATR-WASH offer

Seems safe to assume at this point that if we don't hear in the next few hours we're an alternate :/

Yes, but they gave a full 14 days, so you may have a bit of a wait.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:10 pm

OCIJ finalist. They seem to still be trickling in so there's still hope if you interviewed with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Of the people that are OCIJ finalists, what location did you interview at? Trying to figure out if they are coming in by location or random.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Of the people that are OCIJ finalists, what location did you interview at? Trying to figure out if they are coming in by location or random.

Falls Church, VA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:22 pm

OCIJ: for those of us whose status on Avue has switched to "finalist" -- has anyone gotten a call yet with an offer, or do we think calls will just trickle out to first-picks over the next week?

Also, interviewed telephonically with EOIR attorney, I think from Falls Church.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OCIJ: for those of us whose status on Avue has switched to "finalist" -- has anyone gotten a call yet with an offer, or do we think calls will just trickle out to first-picks over the next week?

Also, interviewed telephonically with EOIR attorney, I think from Falls Church.

I was wondering the same thing. OCIJ Finalist and I haven't received a call or anything yet. Interviewed in Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:41 pm

OCIJ finalist interviewed in Falls Church, VA but I haven't received a call yet either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:54 pm

has anyone who interviewed for EOIR- OCIJ in New York heard yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:58 pm

EOIR-OCIJ question - my component code is gone. Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Just food for thought. I understand the moral qualms of working under the incoming administration, believe me. However, I think that makes it more important than ever for there to exist a reasoned dissent ESPECIALLY in the components which will be most heavily impacted. These potentially egregious mandates that we suspect may come down from on high should not fall only in the hands of those that will carry them out happily or without a care. And, if and when the sun does come out, it is important to have principled people who are trained for public service in the federal government ready to lead the way. I like the suggestion from a few pages ago about speaking to someone who has been through several changes of administration. I have done so, and it seems the message is to champion for reason where you can and to wait for better days to come. I understand AGHP employees are low on the totem pole and have minimal influence. But the whole purpose of the program is prime young, talented attorneys for more influential positions in the future. Also, we will be some of the last hires under the current administration.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR-OCIJ question - my component code is gone. Anyone else?

Same person but just to clarify, still says Selected for Interview.

Sincerely,
Nervous Applicant

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just food for thought. I understand the moral qualms of working under the incoming administration, believe me. However, I think that makes it more important than ever for there to exist a reasoned dissent ESPECIALLY in the components which will be most heavily impacted. These potentially egregious mandates that we suspect may come down from on high should not fall only in the hands of those that will carry them out happily or without a care. And, if and when the sun does come out, it is important to have principled people who are trained for public service in the federal government ready to lead the way. I like the suggestion from a few pages ago about speaking to someone who has been through several changes of administration. I have done so, and it seems the message is to champion for reason where you can and to wait for better days to come. I understand AGHP employees are low on the totem pole and have minimal influence. But the whole purpose of the program is prime young, talented attorneys for more influential positions in the future. Also, we will be some of the last hires under the current administration.

Amen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seems safe to assume at this point that if we don't hear in the next few hours we're an alternate :/

I'm not holding my breath for someone turning down ATR. That's a pretty sweet gig even with the Trump dilemma.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Eoir ocij finalist. Interviewed Chicago. Waiting on the call. Worried about something horrible happening like we don't get offers until January and right now we're just selected. Someone talk me out of this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not holding my breath for someone turning down ATR. That's a pretty sweet gig even with the Trump dilemma.

Does anyone know if not all finalists will get offers or is this just speculation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Eoir ocij finalist. Interviewed Chicago. Waiting on the call. Worried about something horrible happening like we don't get offers until January and right now we're just selected. Someone talk me out of this

According to last year's thread, offers for OCIJ started going out December 1st.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Eoir ocij finalist. Interviewed Chicago. Waiting on the call. Worried about something horrible happening like we don't get offers until January and right now we're just selected. Someone talk me out of this

According to last year's thread, offers for OCIJ started going out December 1st.

Per Deana: "[H]istorically, EOIR OCIJ offers tend to start going out in early December."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Per Deana: "[H]istorically, EOIR OCIJ offers tend to start going out in early December."

Neurotic from above. Damn. I'm going to implode.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Not to be depressing but OCIJ alternates have got offers in January before.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to be depressing but OCIJ alternates have got offers in January before.

If you're listed as a finalist does that mean you could also be an alternate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to be depressing but OCIJ alternates have got offers in January before.

If you're listed as a finalist does that mean you could also be an alternate?

Yes.

(My impression is this comes up more with OCIJ because they hire a lot of people and they have a lot of locations, some of which are, well, less exciting than others, so you get more turning it down. If you interview with ATR in DC you know what you're getting into and whether you want to take it or not. If you interview with OCIJ and listed like 5 top choices and you get Lumpkin, Georgia, which was not one of those choices, you might turn it down. So they have more alternates and their offers continue to go out later as the first round either accepts or declines.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Any speculation on how many FEDP alternates there were last year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Does anyone know if not all finalists will get offers or is this just speculation?

It's pretty typical for a number of finalists to be alternates just in case a "primary" finalist turns down their offer. Yes it's speculation that ATR-Wash is done issuing offers since only 4 or 5 people have said they have received an offer. However, given that in the past the offers from ATR come either on the same day or right after (it's now been 2 days), and only a small percentage of the honors program candidates are even represented on TLS, it's a safe bet to guess that not every ATR finalist on here is going to get a primary offer. Most likely the people that have heard so far will be the only offers on here unless an offer is turned down. Like I said, it's speculation that they've issued all 17 offers, but I feel pretty confident moving forward with that assumption.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Neurotic from above. Damn. I'm going to implode.

For whatever it's worth, my remote telephonic interview was with an attorney at OCIJ headquarters who seems like she has a large role in the hiring process for DOJ/HP, and she told me that OCIJ would start extending offers "by the end of November" and would "complete" making offers in February. So, my guess is first picks will start going out within the next two weeks, and that offers for alternates will be extended sporadically during December, January, and February.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:10 pm

It's getting uncomfortably close to the weekend. Just CALLLLLL me.

Return to “Legal Employment?