DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had CRT under my selected for interview tab, but when another department labeled me a finalist, CRT disappeared completely. I wonder if this is a glitch or if I shouldn't hold out hope.

If your status changed to finalist, and the CRT code is now gone, it's likely you did not get selected. If they're in the middle of doing updates, however, it's possible that it will pop back up.

I'm wondering if there are any CRT finalists.

CRT interviewee here, status is still "Selected for Interview"

I'm grateful for the AVUE updates, but they mess with my head so much! Thanks for chiming in.

Also here for any discussion of what on earth a Trump CRT is going to look like and whether it's worth accepting or whether we'd just be twiddling our thumbs for (hopefully) four years. I feel like I might be happier to not get it at this point and not have to decide.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Deana Willis wrote:HP Finalist Recap as of 11/17/2016

Many questions coming in. Here's an updated list of components that have definitely NOT designated finalists as of this posting:

1. Civil Rights Division
2. Environment and Natural Resources Division
3. Federal Bureau of Investigation
4. Executive Office for Immigration Review (OCIJ and OCLA)
5. U.S. Attorney's Office-Southern District of New York

I believe the components listed below have completed their finalist selections. Take this with a grain of salt because nothing precludes them from coming back and selecting more finalists after they review their lists.

1. Antitrust Division (all locations)
2. Civil Division
3. Criminal Division
4. Drug Enforcement Administration
5. EOIR-Board of Immigration Appeals
6. Federal Bureau of Prisons
7. Indian Country Fellowship
8. Tax Division (both sections)
9. USAO-District of Arizona
10 USAO-Northern District of Ohio (has met its hiring goal)
11. U.S. Trustee Program
12. National Security Division
13. Executive Office for Immigration Review (OGC, OCAHO, OLAP)

There is no fixed deadline by which offers must be extended. This is a matter of component discretion. Within the same component, offers go out at different times, depending on many factors, including but not limited to reference checks, the issuing attorney's work schedule (he or she may be in court or in meetings), delay in the issuing attorney receiving actual authorization to issue the offer, and so forth.

I'll do my best to keep everyone informed. Best of luck to all who are waiting.

Well, that's a relief. The hope lives for some components. Here's to hoping they get things in by tomorrow morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had CRT under my selected for interview tab, but when another department labeled me a finalist, CRT disappeared completely. I wonder if this is a glitch or if I shouldn't hold out hope.

If your status changed to finalist, and the CRT code is now gone, it's likely you did not get selected. If they're in the middle of doing updates, however, it's possible that it will pop back up.

I'm wondering if there are any CRT finalists.

CRT interviewee here, status is still "Selected for Interview"

I'm grateful for the AVUE updates, but they mess with my head so much! Thanks for chiming in.

Also here for any discussion of what on earth a Trump CRT is going to look like and whether it's worth accepting or whether we'd just be twiddling our thumbs for (hopefully) four years. I feel like I might be happier to not get it at this point and not have to decide.

I understand that. But I keep reminding myself that a lot of the initial work might still be Obama related. I admit that may be delusional. If civil rights is something you'd want to do long term, it's worth considering sucking it up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:04 pm

If someone at your school can put you in touch with an alumnus who worked in CRT under the Bush Administration that might be your best bet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:07 pm

ATR Wash offer - phone call this afternoon (which I missed) and then an email a little later....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Can we go back to our rampant speculations about the the finalist/offer ratio?

We've heard of two federal programs offers so far. That means there are 6 spots left. What are the odds that those are all already taken by people not reporting on TLS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:18 pm

To all the people wondering about having a code disappear when you're selected as a finalist--look back at Deana's post about how the display changes going forward. Once you're a finalist, the codes for the sections with which you interviewed disappear. She posted something about " you already know who you interviewed with, the display changes..." CRT hasn't posted any finalists yet, so it would disappear if you're now a finalist elsewhere

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm especially confused as a Tax Crim Finalist...unclear if they've finished picking other finalists, the only two TLS offers came a week apart, unclear how many finalists they are picking per spot.

Ahhhh.

I'm with you. Desperately hoping that Tax Crim identifies some more finalists. It's too bad. I thought that was my best interview out of three I had.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:19 pm

ATR Washington Offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Accepted Federal Programs offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted Federal Programs offer

Did the call happen recently? I'm trying to get a sense of how late they would call. (i.e. when I can stop thinking about this for the night.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did the call happen recently? I'm trying to get a sense of how late they would call. (i.e. when I can stop thinking about this for the night.)

They called yesterday morning. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! I'm not going to sit around assuming that govt employees will want to call after 5! ;)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! I'm not going to sit around assuming that govt employees will want to call after 5! ;)

Oof. Well, at least we know they were making calls at various points in the day and not all at once. Let's just hold out hope they just haven't been able to reach our references yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Is anyone else a finalist for ATR-SF? I know they had two spots but wasn't sure whether they'd use both or how many finalists they would pick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ATR Washington Offer

Are there any (other) ATR finalists who have not yet been called?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm the ATR-SF finalist who posted above yours, no call yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm the ATR-SF finalist who posted above yours, no call yet.

Sorry, I meant ATR-DC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes.

Yes +2

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 am

Alright what do we think about Jeff Sessions then?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Alright what do we think about Jeff Sessions then?

Should be competent, which is not nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:

On the other side, this guy was deemed too racist to be a judge. Also, if you weren't convinced the DOJ is gonna spend the majority of its resources hunting immigrants, well now you know you will be doing exactly that. This man is a straight up racist (but expected under a Trump admin).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Competent by Trump standards, yes. He's a former USA but a controversial one. He's was too racist to be a judge in the 1980s. Expect CRT, ENRD, Crim, and anything immigration related to basically do a 180. DOJ was sort of leading the charge on criminal justice reform and environmental cases. That is going to likely go in the exact opposite way now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:31 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment?