DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:42 am

Hi everyone! I'm an ATR finalist and was wondering if any of the other ATR finalists that have posted have received offers yet?

Congrats all!

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got a Fed Programs offer yesterday too. Same day it changed to finalist.

Toward closing time or earlier in the day?

Around noon EST.

This means they at least didn't make all the calls in the same hour...there is still a possibility they're calling references before making offers. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone! I'm an ATR finalist and was wondering if any of the other ATR finalists that have posted have received offers yet?

Congrats all!

Congrats! As far as I know, no.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone! I'm an ATR finalist and was wondering if any of the other ATR finalists that have posted have received offers yet?

Congrats all!

Hey! I was made a finalist yesterday for ATR-DC, but haven't heard anything yet. As far as I know theres a few other finalists here that also havent heard anything.

If you do hear please update the spreadsheet!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:13 am

ATR finalist, same here. I believe they will make calls today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats all!

Hey! I was made a finalist yesterday for ATR-DC, but haven't heard anything yet. As far as I know theres a few other finalists here that also havent heard anything.

If you do hear please update the spreadsheet!

Thanks everyone for replying! Congrats to all of you :)

I'm an ATR-DC and NY finalist too.

Are all of you planning to accept or is anyone concerned about how Trump would impact ATR enforcement and the casework?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:24 am

Are all of you planning to accept or is anyone concerned about how Trump would impact ATR enforcement and the casework?

I'm a little concerned, but I think ATR is more insulated from the moral dilemma than some of the other divisions. Also, if Trump gets his way, he'll probably investigate any company that rubs him the wrong way . . . so it could mean ATR work for days!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Do we have any information on whether our jobs would be safe from an impending hiring freeze? Recent press has suggested retroactive freezes on DOJ hires to the date of the election is possible. http://www.govexec.com/management/2016/ ... ls/133071/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do we have any information on whether our jobs would be safe from an impending hiring freeze? Recent press has suggested retroactive freezes on DOJ hires to the date of the election is possible. http://www.govexec.com/management/2016/ ... ls/133071/

I don't see where in this article it suggests a backwards "freeze" (at that point it isn't a freeze, it's a cancellation) would be possible, or has even been discussed by Trump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:23 pm

Does anyone know how long you're requiered to stay at DOJ for DOJ Honors? If it varies by division, I'm curious about Civil.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do we have any information on whether our jobs would be safe from an impending hiring freeze? Recent press has suggested retroactive freezes on DOJ hires to the date of the election is possible. http://www.govexec.com/management/2016/ ... ls/133071/

I don't see where in this article it suggests a backwards "freeze" (at that point it isn't a freeze, it's a cancellation) would be possible, or has even been discussed by Trump.

I asked this question before accepting, and all the following information comes from DOJ as of two days ago. The budget for Honors is in the prior year's budget, and any hiring freezes would have no effect on us. The only thing that could affect our positions is if there were was a reduction in DOJ's workforce generally which would impact everyone. Even when there was hiring freezes before, the Honors program lived on unaffected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how long you're requiered to stay at DOJ for DOJ Honors? If it varies by division, I'm curious about Civil.

Not Civil so can't guarantee this would apply to you, but I was hired into a permanent position (not a 2-year fellowship or anything). I was asked to commit to 2 years. However, the other person my component hired my year bailed after one year. So I don't think it's really enforceable. (It wasn't in my offer letter or anything.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Can anyone speak to whether offers are exploding? Or do they give you some time to make your decision?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to whether offers are exploding? Or do they give you some time to make your decision?

From DOJ's website: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/e ... ployment#c

"If I receive an Honors Program offer, how much time do I have to respond?

The Department adheres to the guidelines issued by the National Association of Law Placement regarding the time period that offers must remain open. We anticipate that offers to current law students will remain open for at least 28 days or until December 30, whichever comes first. The Department may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within 14 days from the date of the offer. Offers to current law students made after December 15 will remain open for at least two weeks after the date the offer was issued. Offers to law school graduates will remain open for at least two weeks after the date the offer was issued."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:35 pm

In practice, this is probably going to vary by component. My convo went like this:

Him: [makes offer]
Him: so are you ready to accept?
Me: ...
Him: oh, I'm sorry, maybe I should tell you the salary
Him: [tells salary]
Me: ...could I take some time to talk to my husband?
Him: ...
Him: okay. But I'd like an answer as soon as possible.

So I called back 20 minutes later to accept. (It wasn't like I hadn't discussed it with my husband, of course, I just resisted answering IMMEDIATELY.)

But no, per the above, they're not supposed to be exploding. But a lot of people do accept right away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:38 pm

When my offer was made, the person did not even ask for an answer. He/she just said that it would remain open for 28 days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to whether offers are exploding? Or do they give you some time to make your decision?

Civ Div: I was given 2 weeks.

Thank you to the person who answered my 2 year commitment question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:42 pm

I was not selected as a finalist for the one component I interviewed with and wanted to work for. I have 1 year of eligibility left.

Has anyone ever applied two years in a row and received an offer the 2nd time around ? I would be much more prepared for the interview, that's for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Just a reminder to please update the spreadsheet if you've accepted an offer. It helps those of us who are trying to gauge our chances of either getting an offer as an alternate or becoming a finalist down the line.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:52 pm

Tax crim offer this morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In practice, this is probably going to vary by component. My convo went like this:

Him: [makes offer]
Him: so are you ready to accept?
Me: ...
Him: oh, I'm sorry, maybe I should tell you the salary
Him: [tells salary]
Me: ...could I take some time to talk to my husband?
Him: ...
Him: okay. But I'd like an answer as soon as possible.

So I called back 20 minutes later to accept. (It wasn't like I hadn't discussed it with my husband, of course, I just resisted answering IMMEDIATELY.)

But no, per the above, they're not supposed to be exploding. But a lot of people do accept right away.

what component was this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Though it may be unusual, would it be wholly inappropriate to contact our interviewer to seek advice on how to improve upon our chances of getting a job with their component in the future (assuming we are not selected as a finalist)? And whether reapplying to the HP program would be futile?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Has anyone received an offer for ICF? I have been a finalist since last week and wondering if I should accept the fact that I am probably an alternate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm a little concerned, but I think ATR is more insulated from the moral dilemma than some of the other divisions. Also, if Trump gets his way, he'll probably investigate any company that rubs him the wrong way . . . so it could mean ATR work for days!

Agreed, ATR should be less compromised than other divisions might be. More lenient merger review is a distinct possibility, so civil sections could become slower and less exciting places to be. Despite some "populist" rhetoric from Trump on the campaign trail, I really think we're going to see the same type of big-business, pro-M&A focus that ATR had during George W. Bush's administration.

For those looking at criminal ATR, price-fixing/cartel stuff isn't politically controversial, so it shouldn't matter much who's in charge.

Return to “Legal Employment?