DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Thoughts on NSD and FBI spots?

Is certain experience/background necessary for these offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Is it frowned upon to accept an offer from a firm but still apply to DOJ Honors?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on NSD and FBI spots?

Is certain experience/background necessary for these offices?

Much like any other DOJ components, they are looking for a commitment to public service and to the particular mission of the component (source: talking to attorneys in both NSD and FBI). NSD slots are mostly prosecution, plus FISC litigation and IC support/oversight; FBI is an OGC, so much more GC focused than other components. Their missions are somewhat more focused than other components (like Civ or Crim), so showing a long-standing interest in the particular mission might be more difficult.

As for stats, NSD is traditionally pretty competitive. Not sure about FBI (but would love to hear from others who might know!).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:47 pm

My ranks are civ, atr, civl rights. Is putting civil rights 3 a wasste? Thats my legit order and those 3 are all i can make a bona fide case for

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:43 pm

So whats everyone applying for? Stats? Lets get the collectivley anxiety going.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:52 pm

Submitted my App - Good luck all!

DOJHonors16

New

Postby DOJHonors16 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:38 pm

Let's get this started!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

1. Generate a single User ID on Sheet 1. Include whatever background/personal information you feel comfortable with.

2. Using the same User ID you created on Sheet 1, complete the information on Sheet 2 for each different component you applied to.

This is helpful because different components are not necessarily on the same timeline.
Last edited by DOJHonors16 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:49 am

Bumping this in the hopes of attracting more people to fill out the spreadsheet. I submitted late Tuesday after some technical difficulties, but everything should be good. Thoughts on when we should be hearing back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:My ranks are civ, atr, civl rights. Is putting civil rights 3 a wasste? Thats my legit order and those 3 are all i can make a bona fide case for

It's presumably too late for this to be of use, but yeah it's a waste - they will not look at your application if you don't rank CRT #1.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:29 am

What happens next:

- interview notifications: about 3 weeks after the application deadline, anyone who gets an interview will get notified - you get an e-mail from Avue and your status changes on the application site (I think Deana (sp?) usually posts info on the application site about when this will be happening). This all happens pretty much at the same time for everyone. I think that if you don't get an interview you don't get a per se rejection at that point, but your status never changes to "selected for interview" and Deanna will announce when all the interview selections have been completed, so at that point you know you're done.

- component notifications: the day after notifications of interviews goes out, you get told which component(s) are interviewing you - you will get a specific notification from each one (sent via Avue). You will also get info about sending a cover letter/resume/writing sample/whatever extra stuff your component wants to see and the deadlines for that. I think Deana usually announces when this is done, too, so if you haven't heard from a given component by that point, they didn't pick you. (Actual notifications that you've been rejected are minimal and I think may not come until the whole process is done.)

- travel arrangements: interviewees will have to go to a link on the DOJ website and fill out a form with dates/locations etc about the interviewing process, and then receive an itinerary. You will get flown (or maybe train or something depending on distance) to where your interview will take place (not all are in DC) if you're not local. They will try to arrange for you to fly out and back on the same day, but sometimes a hotel stay is authorized depending on travel times and if you're interviewing in multiple places and so on (I flew from home to one non-DC location to interview on one day, then flew from the non-DC location to DC to interview the next day, and then flew home from DC). Your travel info will be emailed to you and your interview schedule will be faxed to you (at least, it was fax when I applied - maybe they've modernized?). You list your choices for which week you'd like to interview. You may not get your first preference, and the later your interview is scheduled, the later you will hear back from them. The travel stuff is arranged by the central EARM people rather than the components. It can take a while to hear back after you submit the interview form so don't freak out, but also don't feel bad about contacting someone if something seems weird because things can definitely get screwed up. You get reimbursed for your travel costs but it will take a while.

- interviews: these are held over a three-week period usually the last couple weeks of October/early November. Length and nature varies by component. No one will hear anything until all the interview are done.

- finalists chosen: after all interviews are completed, your status in the application system will (or won't) change to "finalist" (or "selected as finalist" or something along those lines) (and I'm sorry I forget exactly when this happens in relation to the end of interviewing). This rolls out over a day or two usually (so if someone else has heard they're a finalist and you haven't yet it doesn't mean you're doomed). Components cannot hire someone they have not designated as a finalist, but they don't have to make offers to everyone who is designated a finalist. If you don't get designated a finalist, you won't get an offer, but if you are designated a finalist, you're not guaranteed an offer, either (this is particularly true for EOIR because of the numbers they hire/they have a lot of alternates - in some components all finalists get offers, it just depends). Again, Deana usually provides updates on the site about when this will happen/is happening/when components finish picking finalists.

- offer extended: for some/most components this is relatively soon after finalists are designated, for EOIR if you're an alternate it can take up to a month or two IIRC. Your status does change on the application site, but you will likely get a call from the component before that happens. FWIW, many many people accept on the spot and I think most components expect that or a pretty quick answer. That's not saying you can't ask for more time (I asked for like 20 mins lol), but is just to give a sense of what usually happens. EOIR is again a bit of an exception (because if you're offered one of the IJ clerkships through EOIR it's tied to a specific location. You rank locations but if you're willing to go anywhere you may not get offered anything you ranked. So I think you get a little more time to decide whether, say, working for 2 years in Lumpkin, Georgia is really for you). Non-EOIR offers usually come just before/just after Thanksgiving I think? (It can vary a little by year and my year things got thrown off by Sandy hitting the east coast so I'm a little fuzzy on this. Check previous years' threads.)

The reason for all this rigamarole is that all the components have to go through EARM for the actual mechanics of the process, so it keeps the timeline relatively consistent for all of them. Caveat: I am pretty sure I remember Antitrust making offers earlier in the process, so some variation is possible, but the above is the general framework based on past years.

Additional random info: at some point you are likely to have your references contacted, but when varies by component/hiring individual/candidate. I've seen people who had interned with DOJ as a student have those references contacted as early as pre-interview (again, I think especially for EOIR), many people seem to get their references contacted as the last step before they get an offer, and I think some people have never had references contacted (I think this is uncommon but I think it can happen). So there is only so much tea-leaves-reading you can do about what it means that your references have/haven't been contacted or when.

Hope any of that is helpful. Turned out longer than I intended!

DOJHonors16

New

Postby DOJHonors16 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:31 pm

DOJHonors16 wrote:1. Generate a single User ID on Sheet 1. Include whatever background/personal information you feel comfortable with.

2. Complete the information on Sheet 2. Use the same User ID for each component you apply to.

I'm not gonna lie, I thought the Sheet 1/Sheet 2 thing would be more intuitive, but I've edited the directions to make it clearer.

If people edit their submissions, I think it will make keeping track of information easier. Alternatively, let me know if you think another format would be better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My ranks are civ, atr, civl rights. Is putting civil rights 3 a wasste? Thats my legit order and those 3 are all i can make a bona fide case for

It's presumably too late for this to be of use, but yeah it's a waste - they will not look at your application if you don't rank CRT #1.

I ended up divining this answer from another source but left the choice. For one, i have a very good why crt answer if I do get an interview, however unlikely. Also don't feel ethical applying for something i wouldnt accept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:35 am

Will be ever be considered for components we didn't rank? I realized I made a mistake on one of my component choices and there is no way I can edit now to choose the correct component that I actually wanted to apply to. I'm so bummed.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:What happens next:

- interview notifications: about 3 weeks after the application deadline, anyone who gets an interview will get notified - you get an e-mail from Avue and your status changes on the application site (I think Deana (sp?) usually posts info on the application site about when this will be happening). This all happens pretty much at the same time for everyone. I think that if you don't get an interview you don't get a per se rejection at that point, but your status never changes to "selected for interview" and Deanna will announce when all the interview selections have been completed, so at that point you know you're done.

- component notifications: the day after notifications of interviews goes out, you get told which component(s) are interviewing you - you will get a specific notification from each one (sent via Avue). You will also get info about sending a cover letter/resume/writing sample/whatever extra stuff your component wants to see and the deadlines for that. I think Deana usually announces when this is done, too, so if you haven't heard from a given component by that point, they didn't pick you. (Actual notifications that you've been rejected are minimal and I think may not come until the whole process is done.)

- travel arrangements: interviewees will have to go to a link on the DOJ website and fill out a form with dates/locations etc about the interviewing process, and then receive an itinerary. You will get flown (or maybe train or something depending on distance) to where your interview will take place (not all are in DC) if you're not local. They will try to arrange for you to fly out and back on the same day, but sometimes a hotel stay is authorized depending on travel times and if you're interviewing in multiple places and so on (I flew from home to one non-DC location to interview on one day, then flew from the non-DC location to DC to interview the next day, and then flew home from DC). Your travel info will be emailed to you and your interview schedule will be faxed to you (at least, it was fax when I applied - maybe they've modernized?). You list your choices for which week you'd like to interview. You may not get your first preference, and the later your interview is scheduled, the later you will hear back from them. The travel stuff is arranged by the central EARM people rather than the components. It can take a while to hear back after you submit the interview form so don't freak out, but also don't feel bad about contacting someone if something seems weird because things can definitely get screwed up. You get reimbursed for your travel costs but it will take a while.

- interviews: these are held over a three-week period usually the last couple weeks of October/early November. Length and nature varies by component. No one will hear anything until all the interview are done.

- finalists chosen: after all interviews are completed, your status in the application system will (or won't) change to "finalist" (or "selected as finalist" or something along those lines) (and I'm sorry I forget exactly when this happens in relation to the end of interviewing). This rolls out over a day or two usually (so if someone else has heard they're a finalist and you haven't yet it doesn't mean you're doomed). Components cannot hire someone they have not designated as a finalist, but they don't have to make offers to everyone who is designated a finalist. If you don't get designated a finalist, you won't get an offer, but if you are designated a finalist, you're not guaranteed an offer, either (this is particularly true for EOIR because of the numbers they hire/they have a lot of alternates - in some components all finalists get offers, it just depends). Again, Deana usually provides updates on the site about when this will happen/is happening/when components finish picking finalists.

- offer extended: for some/most components this is relatively soon after finalists are designated, for EOIR if you're an alternate it can take up to a month or two IIRC. Your status does change on the application site, but you will likely get a call from the component before that happens. FWIW, many many people accept on the spot and I think most components expect that or a pretty quick answer. That's not saying you can't ask for more time (I asked for like 20 mins lol), but is just to give a sense of what usually happens. EOIR is again a bit of an exception (because if you're offered one of the IJ clerkships through EOIR it's tied to a specific location. You rank locations but if you're willing to go anywhere you may not get offered anything you ranked. So I think you get a little more time to decide whether, say, working for 2 years in Lumpkin, Georgia is really for you). Non-EOIR offers usually come just before/just after Thanksgiving I think? (It can vary a little by year and my year things got thrown off by Sandy hitting the east coast so I'm a little fuzzy on this. Check previous years' threads.)

The reason for all this rigamarole is that all the components have to go through EARM for the actual mechanics of the process, so it keeps the timeline relatively consistent for all of them. Caveat: I am pretty sure I remember Antitrust making offers earlier in the process, so some variation is possible, but the above is the general framework based on past years.

Additional random info: at some point you are likely to have your references contacted, but when varies by component/hiring individual/candidate. I've seen people who had interned with DOJ as a student have those references contacted as early as pre-interview (again, I think especially for EOIR), many people seem to get their references contacted as the last step before they get an offer, and I think some people have never had references contacted (I think this is uncommon but I think it can happen). So there is only so much tea-leaves-reading you can do about what it means that your references have/haven't been contacted or when.

This is very helpful. What's the interview process like?(I am assuming it varies from component to component but any commonalities?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:00 am

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What happens next:

This is very helpful. What's the interview process like?(I am assuming it varies from component to component but any commonalities?)

Also interested in this for anyone that has gone through the process esp with crim or the USAOs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:02 am

Interviews vary. The EOIR interview for a clerkship with an IJ was a one-on-one with (IIRC) an IJ (of some level) for about an hour. The interview with another EOIR component was two people, also for about an hour. (I think? I can't remember exactly so it might have been less - it wasn't more.) The one USAO interview I did was longer (kind of makes sense b/c they're permanent jobs) - all morning, a panel interview with a bunch of the office chiefs (like 6 or 7?), a meeting with the USA, and going around the office to one-on-ones with AUSAs. The questions in each of them were very much what you'd expect - why government, why this component/division/office/whatever, questions relating to the nature of the job. I don't remember getting anything particularly weird/out of left field (although I had a couple of people grill me on the most random parts of my resume, I'm pretty sure just to see if I could answer).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:44 am

Is there a status update for eligibility screening? Will you be notified if you are deemed ineligible, and when?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a status update for eligibility screening? Will you be notified if you are deemed ineligible, and when?

No update. I guess you'll know based on whether or not you get an interview. Eligibility reqs seem pretty straightforward though, no? You should be able to figure that out yourself?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Yeah, I think you just don't get selected for interview? IIRC you have to check off stuff in the application to show you're eligible so I think if there were any issues you couldn't submit the app.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Being AD military, I did not have much choice in the law school I attended. Needless to say, it falls into the U.S. News "RNP" tier. If the rest of my resume is pretty on point (Top 6%, LR, AD military, TS clearance, full time job in intel the entire time I have been in school..) how much will my school's lack of prestige count against me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:06 pm

I mean, did you apply to things where those creds are useful? I imagine CRT or CivApp wouldn't care much, but NSD would be all over you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I mean, did you apply to things where those creds are useful? I imagine CRT or CivApp wouldn't care much, but NSD would be all over you.

NSD is my number one choice! Followed by FBI...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Generally, DOJ is pretty ecumenical on school - they hire from a very wide range (it's listed somewhere on the honors website), and anecdotally (based on the people I've met/LinkedIn stalked), high grades seem to trump school ranking, at least to some degree. There are probably always going to be exceptions since different hiring personnel care about different things, and I'm not sure how far down the law school food chain this extends. High grades at a top school is always the best position to be in, but it's certainly worth applying without fancy school pedigree.

(I agree that the value of your softs depends on the component.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:58 am

Would it be better if you had those stats + and HYS degree? Of course. But for what a component like NSD or FBI needs, your background seems pretty perfect. Grades will matter because you're obviously doing legal work, but if there was a situation where they look past school/prestige/rank, this seems to be one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:00 am

Also note that those sections have <5 slots, so just much harder to predict.

Return to “Legal Employment?