DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
avatarz wrote:Anyone know if there is a point where an offer becomes non-revokable (or does that not happen)? I believe in working through the administration depsite the horror - but I don't want to think I have a job in the bag and have it disappear, being left in a lurch.


I interviewed for ATR, and I'm on the fence. I would not accept a position in fedprograms, or FBI, or NSD, or EOIR for sure.


ATR finalist? Interviewee here but also on the fence. One can imagine Trump believing that antitrust laws should not be enforced.

http://www.recode.net/2016/11/9/1357392 ... rust-taxes

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
avatarz wrote:Anyone know if there is a point where an offer becomes non-revokable (or does that not happen)? I believe in working through the administration depsite the horror - but I don't want to think I have a job in the bag and have it disappear, being left in a lurch.


I interviewed for ATR, and I'm on the fence. I would not accept a position in fedprograms, or FBI, or NSD, or EOIR for sure.


ATR finalist? Interviewee here but also on the fence. One can imagine Trump believing that antitrust laws should not be enforced.


ONly interviewee. Do you have finalist status?

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Given Trump's stance on immigration, how are people who interviewed with EOIR feeling?

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:40 am

I didn't show up to chambers today. couldn't interact with my judge and his staff who are happy with the outcome. I decided today that I will not accept a position within DOJ HQ, prosecuting crimes that the next president has openly committed himself. Will chose a non HQ branch office

redscare

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:03 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby redscare » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:05 am

Has anyone's status switched from selected for interview to finalist for EOIR?

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:29 am

My status changed to finalist yesterday afternoon for Tax.

lawhoo16

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby lawhoo16 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:40 am

.
Last edited by lawhoo16 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:41 am

Did you interview the first week? Also, did you have a deadline for another job and informed them about it?

Congrats, by the way!

Anonymous User wrote:My status changed to finalist yesterday afternoon for Tax.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:54 am

Anyone get selected as a finalist for BOP or FBI?

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did you interview the first week? Also, did you have a deadline for another job and informed them about it?

Congrats, by the way!

Anonymous User wrote:My status changed to finalist yesterday afternoon for Tax.


Thank you!! No I actually interviewed last week, and I don't have another deadline at this point. It's for Crim, to answer the previous poster's question.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:11 am

For all of you grappling internally as to whether you could accept a position during a Trump Administration, this is an insightful read, albeit geared to career Justice employees.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/more-donald ... department

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:12 am

Any ATR Finalists today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:ONly interviewee. Do you have finalist status?


Anonymous User wrote:My status changed to finalist yesterday afternoon for Tax.


Anonymous User wrote:Any ATR Finalists today?



Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:58 am

redscare wrote:Has anyone's status switched from selected for interview to finalist for EOIR?


Bamp.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:12 pm

Do you know if we HAVE to be posted as finalists to get an offer? Is there any way we'd get an offer without that ever changing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you know if we HAVE to be posted as finalists to get an offer? Is there any way we'd get an offer without that ever changing?


No. It's like the interviews. If it doesn't change, you will not get an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
redscare wrote:Has anyone's status switched from selected for interview to finalist for EOIR?


Bamp.


No change here. Interviewed with EOIR during the first week of interviews but from reading through TLS I've come to expect a little delay in hearing back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:10 pm

For the divisions that have already started selecting finalists, does it mean that if we are not a finalist the same week/day that we will not be a finalist at all? Are the finalist picks sent in batches or little by little?

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the divisions that have already started selecting finalists, does it mean that if we are not a finalist the same week/day that we will not be a finalist at all? Are the finalist picks sent in batches or little by little?


Short answer (to the first question): no. For the long answer, see Deana's post, reproduced in relevant part below.

Deana Willis wrote:1. Finalist status: My office (Office of Attorney Recruitment and Management - OARM) asks all formally participating components to identify finalists by November 18th so we can complete offer clearance and offers can start going out before Thanksgiving. HOWEVER - some offices do it earlier. Some do their entire candidate slate early. Some have a candidate with other offer deadlines and may request just that one be cleared. Some clear some early, then more later. Some will clear a tiny number, then learn later that some of those finalists accepted other employment and come back to identify more finalists at a later date. Some decide to hire more HPs than initially estimated - and come back to identify more finalist. You cannot really draw conclusions this early, particularly for components that hire a larger number of candidates.

2. Designation as a finalist means you are under consideration for an offer. HOWEVER - this includes primary offer candidates and alternates. And this can change later in the hiring process, not just in late November. Until all components report they have met their hiring goals, I try to avoid sending "regrets" messages. FYI - I also post updates on this board when a particular component meets its hiring goals, so you may find that information helpful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:03 pm

In past years, Deana also starts to update the message board when the first batch of finalists is posted. That hasn't happened yet, so it seems unlikely that, for those components that have reported some finalists, it is the end of the batch.

ETA: With the glitches that occurred early in the process, it adds another level of uncertainty as to whether the finalists posted are final. I wouldn't worry until she confirms that she's updated the finalists for your components.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:09 pm

Any movement from the USAO in Ohio? I don't see any updates for reference checks or finalist status in the spreadsheet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement from the USAO in Ohio? I don't see any updates for reference checks or finalist status in the spreadsheet.


I interviewed too. Nothing on my end.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:29 pm

Reminder: Tomorrow is a federal holiday. Unlikely to be any movement.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:58 pm

I interviewed last week...my status still says selected for interview but my friend's says "closed" ...does that mean she didn't get anything?

wolfpack13

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:56 pm

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby wolfpack13 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed last week...my status still says selected for interview but my friend's says "closed" ...does that mean she didn't get anything?


Your friend is looking at the wrong site.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.