DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:24 am

I know some people said last week they hadn't received their flights/itinerary for their interviews yet and others said to be patient, but forgive me for being a little jumpy. Is anyone still waiting? I know it will probably come soon, but my brain is going through every horrible alternative.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know some people said last week they hadn't received their flights/itinerary for their interviews yet and others said to be patient, but forgive me for being a little jumpy. Is anyone still waiting? I know it will probably come soon, but my brain is going through every horrible alternative.

Relax. The e-mail says that you could be waiting until the 25th. Panic if you don't receive something my then. I'm interviewing later this week and got itinerary on Friday (in DC so didn't need to book flights/hotel)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Anyone interview already? Any tips from prior applicants?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Does anyone have any idea for how these interviews are set up? Asking generally, but also if anyone has insight as to CRT that would be even more awesome.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:50 pm

How much time between when people got their travel itinerary and when they got their interview schedule? Just trying to make a plans, if I have time, to see some people while in DC.

Also, for anyone that is spending the night in DC. I was able to use Priceline's name your own price and got a room at the JW Marriott for $140 a night so way under their normal rate and under fed per diem rate of $182.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any idea for how these interviews are set up? Asking generally, but also if anyone has insight as to CRT that would be even more awesome.

Thanks!

I know for ENRD that it is a panel interview.

Liverpool124

New

Postby Liverpool124 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:50 pm

Just FYI from someone who used to live in DC. If you are flying in and looking for a good but more affordable hotel, look at the hotels in Crystal City--easy access to and from the airport and on the blue line so you can easily get to the metro center stop or federal triangle stop for the interviews. I would not recommend listening to the advice that was in one of the emails about going to the Clarendon or Courthouse metro stops to find a hotel. Yes, they are on the orange line (easy access to the interviews), but to get to there from the airport you'd have to change metro lines at the Rosslyn station. Staying on the blue line for me would be easier. Plus, Crystal City is growing into a cool little area (I recommend Good Stuff Eatery for dinner/lunch).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Are the people emailing me the people who will be interviewing me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are the people emailing me the people who will be interviewing me?

Depends. Sometimes they are, sometimes they are tasked with making arrangements. (If they're clearly an attorney they will probably be interviewing you but not absolutely always.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are the people emailing me the people who will be interviewing me?

Depends. Sometimes they are, sometimes they are tasked with making arrangements. (If they're clearly an attorney they will probably be interviewing you but not absolutely always.)

Yeah the emails are kinda ambiguous ("I'll be taking you to the interview location" etc.) but they're attorneys. Anyway, thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Liverpool124 wrote:Just FYI from someone who used to live in DC. If you are flying in and looking for a good but more affordable hotel, look at the hotels in Crystal City--easy access to and from the airport and on the blue line so you can easily get to the metro center stop or federal triangle stop for the interviews. I would not recommend listening to the advice that was in one of the emails about going to the Clarendon or Courthouse metro stops to find a hotel. Yes, they are on the orange line (easy access to the interviews), but to get to there from the airport you'd have to change metro lines at the Rosslyn station. Staying on the blue line for me would be easier. Plus, Crystal City is growing into a cool little area (I recommend Good Stuff Eatery for dinner/lunch).

Any thoughts on the area around the Capital Hilton and metro access to/from Reagan or other parts of town? For the 3rd week of interviews, they had rooms at the actual per diem rate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:27 am

Has anyone had an EOIR interview yet? I had mine today and I checked the "yes" box on my location preferences form indicating I am willing to go to any immigration court. However, I am second guessing myself as I cannot remember the wording of the question. Was wondering if someone went to an EOIR interview and remember if yes is the correct choice to go anywhere. Thank you for my peace of mind in advance lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had an EOIR interview yet? I had mine today and I checked the "yes" box on my location preferences form indicating I am willing to go to any immigration court. However, I am second guessing myself as I cannot remember the wording of the question. Was wondering if someone went to an EOIR interview and remember if yes is the correct choice to go anywhere. Thank you for my peace of mind in advance lol.

Unless they've change anything from previous years, if you didn't say you were willing to go anywhere, you would have been asked to list/check off the specific locations you *were* willing to go to. If you didn't list specific cities then I'm sure you correctly checked the "go anywhere" box.

smaldana

New

Postby smaldana » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had an EOIR interview yet? I had mine today and I checked the "yes" box on my location preferences form indicating I am willing to go to any immigration court. However, I am second guessing myself as I cannot remember the wording of the question. Was wondering if someone went to an EOIR interview and remember if yes is the correct choice to go anywhere. Thank you for my peace of mind in advance lol.

Unless they've change anything from previous years, if you didn't say you were willing to go anywhere, you would have been asked to list/check off the specific locations you *were* willing to go to. If you didn't list specific cities then I'm sure you correctly checked the "go anywhere" box.

Thats the thing... I listed cities as preferences yet still checked the "yes" at the bottom of the page. I thought it was for, if your preferences cannot be met then are you willing to go elsewhere, but I just cannot remember if that was the wording. My interviewer did not specifically ask me if I was willing to go anywhere. He just handed me the sheet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:11 am

smaldana wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Unless they've changed anything from previous years, if you didn't say you were willing to go anywhere, you would have been asked to list/check off the specific locations you *were* willing to go to. If you didn't list specific cities then I'm sure you correctly checked the "go anywhere" box.

Thats the thing... I listed cities as preferences yet still checked the "yes" at the bottom of the page. I thought it was for, if your preferences cannot be met then are you willing to go elsewhere, but I just cannot remember if that was the wording. My interviewer did not specifically ask me if I was willing to go anywhere. He just handed me the sheet.

Oh. To be honest, I'm sorry, I can't remember beyond what I said, but I suspect you are (understandably) overthinking it in post-interview stressing out, and that you did correctly check the right box!

Liverpool124

New

Postby Liverpool124 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Liverpool124 wrote:Just FYI from someone who used to live in DC. If you are flying in and looking for a good but more affordable hotel, look at the hotels in Crystal City--easy access to and from the airport and on the blue line so you can easily get to the metro center stop or federal triangle stop for the interviews. I would not recommend listening to the advice that was in one of the emails about going to the Clarendon or Courthouse metro stops to find a hotel. Yes, they are on the orange line (easy access to the interviews), but to get to there from the airport you'd have to change metro lines at the Rosslyn station. Staying on the blue line for me would be easier. Plus, Crystal City is growing into a cool little area (I recommend Good Stuff Eatery for dinner/lunch).

Any thoughts on the area around the Capital Hilton and metro access to/from Reagan or other parts of town? For the 3rd week of interviews, they had rooms at the actual per diem rate.

Capitol Hilton should be fine. You'll have to take the Blue Line from the airport to Macpherson Square and then walk about 5 minutes (just make sure your flight gets in early enough to allow you to get there because the metro closes at midnight -- my flight gets in at 11 so I havended to stay closers to the airport). Depending on if the metro is running smoothly, I estimate the trip from the airport to be about 30 minutes. For the interviews you can walk or take the metro from Macpherson or Farragut North (depends on your interview location).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:12 am

Are there any honors attorneys currently lurking? I'd just be interested in knowing what your day-to-day schedule looks like, especially those in litigating sections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
smaldana wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Unless they've changed anything from previous years, if you didn't say you were willing to go anywhere, you would have been asked to list/check off the specific locations you *were* willing to go to. If you didn't list specific cities then I'm sure you correctly checked the "go anywhere" box.

Oh. To be honest, I'm sorry, I can't remember beyond what I said, but I suspect you are (understandably) overthinking it in post-interview stressing out, and that you did correctly check the right box!

I interviewed with EOIR as well. My ACIJ explained what it all meant to me, and I had read it before. You can list preferences and if your're not placed in one of your selected cities, by checking off the box it means you are willing to be placed anywhere. My friend is in DOJ EOIR OCIJ at the moment and she did that, so when she wasn't selected for her preferred cities, she was asked if she was ok with anywhere and they went ahead and placed her.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Is anyone sending thank you notes?

Current honors attorneys: should I send thank you notes?

lawhoo16

New

Postby lawhoo16 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Last edited by lawhoo16 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
smaldana wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I interviewed with EOIR as well. My ACIJ explained what it all meant to me, and I had read it before. You can list preferences and if your're not placed in one of your selected cities, by checking off the box it means you are willing to be placed anywhere. My friend is in DOJ EOIR OCIJ at the moment and she did that, so when she wasn't selected for her preferred cities, she was asked if she was ok with anywhere and they went ahead and placed her.

Ok great thanks! I just wanted to make sure I did it correctly. Could not remember what the "yes" was indicative of. Seems like its to going anywhere so that is good. Thanks everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Does anybody know how much weight is given to the writing sample? I had my interview and didn't feel particularly great about it, but I'm confident that my writing sample reads well. I'm hoping if my interview was borderline, the writing sample could help push me into consideration for a finalist spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:40 am

So, we're almost halfway through interviews. Good luck to anyone still waiting to interview. Anyone else finding it harder and harder to concentrate as we wait for hiring decisions in November?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know how much weight is given to the writing sample? I had my interview and didn't feel particularly great about it, but I'm confident that my writing sample reads well. I'm hoping if my interview was borderline, the writing sample could help push me into consideration for a finalist spot.

No one here is likely to be able to answer that question. If the asked for a writing sample, they must care about it somewhat. But how much is going to vary by component.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 am

So, we're almost halfway through interviews. Good luck to anyone still waiting to interview. Anyone else finding it harder and harder to concentrate as we wait for hiring decisions in November?

Do we think November is the timeline? I was told by the component I interviewed with not to expect any decision prior to the first week of December. But maybe they always say that and then decisions come earlier?

Also w/r/t writing samples -- I submitted one but was asked zero questions about it (even though interviewees from prior years told me they got asked several substantive questions about their samples). So who knows.

Return to “Legal Employment?