DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 am

I get to pee in a cup next week, I guess. I've had my background interview and have a start date.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For past honors hires- how do they contact you to either let you know that you've passed or failed your background check?
I never got told when I passed, they just contacted me to set up my start date.
Current hire here. I had a start date before my urine drop and BG interview. I would not assume I was cleared more than a temp. clearance, unless expressly told as much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Anyone still lurking here already have a start date?

My initial offer letter said start dates would be between September and October, but an HR person at NSD recently told me "late fall," and I'm hoping that doesn't mean mid-December.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone still lurking here already have a start date?

My initial offer letter said start dates would be between September and October, but an HR person at NSD recently told me "late fall," and I'm hoping that doesn't mean mid-December.
Yes, I got my start date in early May. I'm joining Tax.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:44 am

Antitrust, first week of october, tentatively set it as soon as the freeze exception was granted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm a 2L currently applying for SLIP & hoping someone can advise me on the essays. Is it best to write these in the form: formal introduction/answer prompt/formal conclusion, or is that overkill?

Also, for the second "What one thing do you want us know about you" question, is it ok to just describe a "relevant-to-DoJ" thing you've done at your internship? If so, do I need to go to the trouble of explaining why my experience will benefit them? It should be apparent - for example if I'm applying to EOIR and describing my participation on an asylum case at a past internship, it will be apparent I am familiar with issues the office normally deals with, so is it necessary to go into detail about why hiring me will benefit them - especially since they will have already noticed this information in the first essay? It seems unnecessary.

OR is the above question asking for more of a personal statement-type story? (I'd rather talk about relevant work experience)

Also, is it a big deal to be well short in the character count? First essay is 2900/4000, second is 1600/2000.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 pm

EOIR here - anyone hear anything about the background check?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR here - anyone hear anything about the background check?
EOIR here too. Mine started really rolling in June, and I had recent contact with an investigator to confirm something. I assume this is a crazy long process and many of us will be getting some kind of temporary clearance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:37 am

To those that are at a DOJ litigating section and others who may have heard: what's the training schedule like? I know DOJ runs a lot of training down in south carolina. Should we expect to head down there soon? Does the typical travel schedule for most DOJ lawyers pick up pretty quickly?

I've had some friends ask to come visit me in the first month of being at DOJ, and I'm wondering if I should commit to that or if there's a good chance I'll be traveling. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:31 pm

If you check out https://www.justice.gov/usao/training/course-offerings you can see the current schedules. (I think that's officially a USAO page but the courses aren't limited to AUSAs.) You register like 6 weeks or so in advance? I can't remember exactly, but you won't get into a training in the first month. And if you do happen to be going to a USAO, you're not going to be traveling in the first month (I'd be really surprised if you traveled in the first month in other components, too, just because it takes a little time to get up to speed, but I know some other litigating components do a lot more travel generally so can't swear nothing would come up. But I also strongly doubt anyone's going to expect you to travel on a date on which you already have a commitment within a month of starting.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”