DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone asked what affect a hiring freeze might have?
When I received my offer call, the DOJ attorney spent a few minutes talking about the potential for hiring freezes. She said that if there is one, it almost definitely wouldn't affect current offers. For future applicants, it's more iffy. While a hiring freeze may actually result in some components not hiring anyone, the way a freeze actually works is that Congress tells departments that they will not be getting any extra funding to hire. So technically, a department could rearrange their budget to make room for new hires. Obviously this is more difficult since few agencies have an extra 100k to throw around for a new attorney.

Unrelated question: has anyone received their travel reimbursements yet?
Did she address the potential issue/likelihood of executive action to freeze hiring (rather than Congressional action on the budget)? DOJ could be rolling in cash but at the stroke of a pen not hire anyone.
She did not. But I imagine an executive action is certainly a possibility. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's ever been a year where DOJ honors simply didn't happen. Though, IIRC there has been years where a component like CRT only hired 1-2 people rather than the 12 they're hiring this year. DOJ Honors is a 30+ year old program; it's not going anywhere. It seems likely that no new position will be created, but if a handful of people leave Federal Programs, for example, those people will need to be replaced.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When I received my offer call, the DOJ attorney spent a few minutes talking about the potential for hiring freezes. She said that if there is one, it almost definitely wouldn't affect current offers. For future applicants, it's more iffy. While a hiring freeze may actually result in some components not hiring anyone, the way a freeze actually works is that Congress tells departments that they will not be getting any extra funding to hire. So technically, a department could rearrange their budget to make room for new hires. Obviously this is more difficult since few agencies have an extra 100k to throw around for a new attorney.

Did she address the potential issue/likelihood of executive action to freeze hiring (rather than Congressional action on the budget)? DOJ could be rolling in cash but at the stroke of a pen not hire anyone.
She did not. But I imagine an executive action is certainly a possibility. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's ever been a year where DOJ honors simply didn't happen. Though, IIRC there has been years where a component like CRT only hired 1-2 people rather than the 12 they're hiring this year. DOJ Honors is a 30+ year old program; it's not going anywhere. It seems likely that no new position will be created, but if a handful of people leave Federal Programs, for example, those people will need to be replaced.
Like, he's not going to cancel EOIR if he's smart, b/c even the deportations have some due process concerns.

Does he want to revitalize business? He'll need to fund ATR, b/c they'll have to at least investigate the HSR notices.

So a blanket cancelation doesn't seem smart.

But it is trump.

bluesweater54

New

Post by bluesweater54 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:00 pm

First-time poster. Considering a CRT offer and going back and forth. If any one is in the same position, it would be great to chat--shoot me a pm. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Like, he's not going to cancel EOIR if he's smart, b/c even the deportations have some due process concerns.

Does he want to revitalize business? He'll need to fund ATR, b/c they'll have to at least investigate the HSR notices.

So a blanket cancelation doesn't seem smart.

But it is trump.

That's the part that makes me nervous. I keep thinking of Reagan's retroactive-to-election-day hiring freeze. But I suppose we just have to decide if we're game for this high-risk/high-reward situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Trump is on the record as saying that in his first 100 days, he wants to freeze federal hiring by not replace employees who leave. So it'll be reduction by attrition. It's unlikely to be like the Reagan retroactive freeze. Those hired, though, should be worried that the generous benefits federal employees get in lieu of a larger salary will be drastically cut.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:02 am

Accepted Tax-Civil offer today. Offer was made on 11/16

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:12 pm

catinthewall wrote:FYI: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 9cb5b3af97

Doubt this will affect DOJ Honors.
What's the basis for your doubt? This seems to accelerate the idea that a hiring freeze is very imminent, whereas up until now it had been on the backburner. And the retroactivity issue mentioned above now seems like not an outlandish thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:18 pm

http://www.gao.gov/assets/140/137055.pdf

Apparently the reagan hiring freeze lasted all of three months in 1981. I don't think its practical, especially with how the exectuive has balooned. And for DOJ honors hiriees to get truly screwed, it would have to be totally frozen by executive order from January until late 2017, which is longer than ever in history.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.gao.gov/assets/140/137055.pdf

Apparently the reagan hiring freeze lasted all of three months in 1981. I don't think its practical, especially with how the exectuive has balooned. And for DOJ honors hiriees to get truly screwed, it would have to be totally frozen by executive order from January until late 2017, which is longer than ever in history.
This election and incoming administration keeps racking up the label of "unprecedented" for its actions... nothing surprises me anymore. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic. But every time another article like that WaPo piece comes out I get more nervous and feel more hopeless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 pm

Received Tax Civil offer. I've been a Finalist for weeks.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
catinthewall wrote:FYI: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 9cb5b3af97

Doubt this will affect DOJ Honors.
What's the basis for your doubt? This seems to accelerate the idea that a hiring freeze is very imminent, whereas up until now it had been on the backburner. And the retroactivity issue mentioned above now seems like not an outlandish thing.
This specifically asks for a freeze until Trump takes office so he isn't swamped by Obama appointees. It's not asking for a freeze on hiring, period, it's basically asking to postpone hiring for about 6 weeks as part of the transition between administrations. It doesn't mean Trump won't freeze hiring but it appears completely unrelated to what his intent in freezing hiring was.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:26 pm

Has anyone that is an ATR-Wash finalist heard anything new? I would have thought that everyone would have needed to accept or decline by now, but I really haven't seen anyone say anything since the 16th-ish, other than someone last week saying they accepted their first round offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sugrl12

New

Post by sugrl12 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone that is an ATR-Wash finalist heard anything new? I would have thought that everyone would have needed to accept or decline by now, but I really haven't seen anyone say anything since the 16th-ish, other than someone last week saying they accepted their first round offer.

I managed to get the ATR WASH contact on the phone. They have extended several rounds of offers and there are only a few positions left to fill.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 am

EOIR OCIJ offer received by email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR OCIJ offer received by email
Congratulations!

Question for those who have accepted offers, and have a touch more class than I: Are you updating your Resumes/Linkedin to include the DOJ Honors position, or is it more appropriate to wait until the background check clears?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations!

Question for those who have accepted offers, and a have a touch more class than I: Are you updating your Resumes/Linkedin to include the DOJ Honors position, or is it more appropriate to wait until the background check clears?
Not updating till I start b/c Trump

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations!

Question for those who have accepted offers, and a have a touch more class than I: Are you updating your Resumes/Linkedin to include the DOJ Honors position, or is it more appropriate to wait until the background check clears?
Stupid

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations!

I'm not a Trump fan by any stretch, but I'm not sure what this means. Are you talking about the potential hiring freeze?

Either way, to address the original question, it seems strange to put a line on your resume for a job you won't be starting for almost a year. I also don't know what you'd be applying for between now and then where you would need to highlight that you'll be working at DOJ in the future. It's not like it's provided you with any important experience at this point. If it's out of excitement, I get it. I have an offer, and I can't wait to start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations!

I'm not a Trump fan by any stretch, but I'm not sure what this means. Are you talking about the potential hiring freeze?

Either way, to address the original question, it seems strange to put a line on your resume for a job you won't be starting for almost a year. I also don't know what you'd be applying for between now and then where you would need to highlight that you'll be working at DOJ in the future. It's not like it's provided you with any important experience at this point. If it's out of excitement, I get it. I have an offer, and I can't wait to start.
Yeah, hiring freeze.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations!

My DOJ position is only a 2 year term, so I want to start prepping for federal clerkship apps. Also, being selected for DOJ is very prestigious at my LS, so I want to let the right alumni etc. see it while I am still fresh in their minds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:10 pm

I've had my clerkship on my resume for years, both for prestige purposes and so people know my future schedule. But updating my linkedin early would be weird I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations!

My DOJ position is only a 2 year term, so I want to start prepping for federal clerkship apps. Also, being selected for DOJ is very prestigious at my LS, so I want to let the right alumni etc. see it while I am still fresh in their minds.
You should have led with that. Sounds like you answered your own question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:11 am

Assuming that any hiring freeze is not retroactive, and our jobs are safe in that sense, how common are RIFs or layoffs in the fed govt? When is the last time a significant number of federal employees were laid off?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”