Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:39 pm

I got the DOL email today. This is obviously a few days after they started going out, so if you haven't heard yet there's still hope!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:56 pm

Has anyone else who has received an offer from the OCC heard anything since the election?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:16 pm

USACE has started sending out interview invites.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:USACE has started sending out interview invites.

Have you heard from multiple people that they have received invites? The generic email confirming receipt of my application seemed to suggest that they wouldn't send out invites until December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else who has received an offer from the OCC heard anything since the election?

Yeah, I got a call from HR last Thursday. Offer was supposed to be sent today, but I didn't receive it yet. You haven't heard anything? Did they say when you are getting the written offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else who has received an offer from the OCC heard anything since the election?

Yeah, I got a call from HR last Thursday. Offer was supposed to be sent today, but I didn't receive it yet. You haven't heard anything? Did they say when you are getting the written offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is this enforcement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:25 pm

Has anyone heard anything from the CFPB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, i'm in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:18 am

Trying not to give up hope for OCC. One person said they got the offer on 11/4. Is this when everyone else got the offer? Is it possible that different divisions have different timelines for making offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is this enforcement?

No. Written tentative offer received this morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:20 pm

Any of you with OCC offers get them from Enforcement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:21 pm

Sorry wrong thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:04 pm

For those receiving OCC offers, how concerned are you about the effects of a Trump presidency on the agency? Possible consequences for the OCC would seem to include:

1. You will be helping to deregulate Wall Street (contributing to the next financial crisis) under a bank-friendly Comptroller.
2. Hensarling's plans to move financial regulators to the Congressional appropriations process = no more cushy salaries + less agency independence.
3. Weaker enforcement efforts will make your job less interesting--and preemption rules mean that state AGs can't pick up your slack when the OCC turns a blind eye to consumer protection issues.

Please add to the list if you're mulling over similar thoughts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those receiving OCC offers, how concerned are you about the effects of a Trump presidency on the agency? Possible consequences for the OCC would seem to include:

1. You will be helping to deregulate Wall Street (contributing to the next financial crisis) under a bank-friendly Comptroller.
2. Hensarling's plans to move financial regulators to the Congressional appropriations process = no more cushy salaries + less agency independence.
3. Weaker enforcement efforts will make your job less interesting--and preemption rules mean that state AGs can't pick up your slack when the OCC turns a blind eye to consumer protection issues.

I'm similarly worried. I don't have any answers and I'm potentially looking at a Staff attorney 2nd Cir offer at the same time. Not really sure what to do. I'm worried about 1,3, and potentially being asked to do things to fill someone's vandetta - not super concerned about number two (in part because they'd need to get past a Dem filibusterer). Was the OCC included in Hensarling's plan, I thought the appropriations target was only the CFPB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those receiving OCC offers, how concerned are you about the effects of a Trump presidency on the agency? Possible consequences for the OCC would seem to include:

I'm similarly worried. I don't have any answers and I'm potentially looking at a Staff attorney 2nd Cir offer at the same time. Not really sure what to do. I'm worried about 1,3, and potentially being asked to do things to fill someone's vandetta - not super concerned about number two (in part because they'd need to get past a Dem filibusterer). Was the OCC included in Hensarling's plan, I thought the appropriations target was only the CFPB

Why is #2 not an issue for you? They don't a super majority to amend Dodd Frank

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

"Cushy" salaries are the result of FIRREA, not Dodd-Frank. And they're only talking about changing the funding source for CFPB from the Fed Reserve to Congressional appropriations. Haven't heard any talk about changing anyone else's funding.

And with respect to enforcement, remember that no one is a fan of big banks, and even Hensarling wants enforcement actions against individuals to continue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

"Cushy" salaries are the result of FIRREA, not Dodd-Frank. And they're only talking about changing the funding source for CFPB from the Fed Reserve to Congressional appropriations. Haven't heard any talk about changing anyone else's funding.

And with respect to enforcement, remember that no one is a fan of big banks, and even Hensarling wants enforcement actions against individuals to continue.

Again, why does it matter what act it is? You don't need a super majority to amend things.

I agree with the enforcement angle, though. But that's only to say that the CFPB will continue to exist in some form, not that it will be anything like it was.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Again, why does it matter what act it is? You don't need a super majority to amend things.

I agree with the enforcement angle, though. But that's only to say that the CFPB will continue to exist in some form, not that it will be anything like it was.

The Hensarling plan to move regulatory agencies under the normal appropriations process includes the Reserve, OCC, etc. You can search for it in the bill's full text.

Even assuming there is no filibuster and this bill is passed, how would this affect salaries? Certainly they wouldn't force existing employees to take a major salary cut, would they?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Have you heard from multiple people that they have received invites? The generic email confirming receipt of my application seemed to suggest that they wouldn't send out invites until December.

Not original poster. Got the email confirming receipt of my application this week maybe a day or two ago. Got an email asking to set up an interview for next week this morning (on a Saturday, curiously enough).

Am I supposed to call back today or wait until Monday? What's the convention here?

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not original poster. Got the email confirming receipt of my application this week maybe a day or two ago. Got an email asking to set up an interview for next week this morning (on a Saturday, curiously enough).

Am I supposed to call back today or wait until Monday? What's the convention here?

If you got an email, why are you calling back? I mean... I would just reply to the email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Did anyone get a HUD interview notice on Thursday or Friday? Trying to figure out if that party is coming to an end

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get a HUD interview notice on Thursday or Friday? Trying to figure out if that party is coming to an end

I was told that they had to interview everyone by last Tuesday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get a HUD interview notice on Thursday or Friday? Trying to figure out if that party is coming to an end

I was also told that Tuesday, November 15, was deadline for interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was also told that Tuesday, November 15, was deadline for interviews.

Anyone have a rough estimate of how many candidates they might have interviewed this year? From previous threads, one rough data I saw was 1500 apps => 80 interviews => 10ish offers. Wonder how many they interviewed and how many they would hire this year.

Hopefully they'll get back sometime in the next 2-3 weeks...

Return to “Legal Employment?