Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:IRS anyone?
No updates at all. I doubt we'll hear anything during a freeze, and apparently some offers from the IRS have been rescinded. I don't know if this includes attorneys-to-be, but it is definitely something to think about. A bit of a bummer though because I had a very nice interview and never heard another word.
Tentative offers are exempt from the freeze. Those still in the interview process are probably another story.
Do you mean the IRS specifically? Because generically, tentative offers are exempt if they have a start date before Feb 22. Otherwise they're being addressed on a case by case basis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No updates at all. I doubt we'll hear anything during a freeze, and apparently some offers from the IRS have been rescinded. I don't know if this includes attorneys-to-be, but it is definitely something to think about. A bit of a bummer though because I had a very nice interview and never heard another word.
Tentative offers for HP are exempt from the freeze. Those still in the interview process are probably another story.
Source?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tentative offers for HP are exempt from the freeze. Those still in the interview process are probably another story.
Source?
Agency specific. Source: HR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm another IRS HP person with a tentative offer and can confirm what the above anon posted about the HP Attys being excepted from the hiring freeze. Received a call yesterday from my field office letting me know I was ok, and received an email from Atty Recruitment at national HQ today saying good news the HP positions are exempted and things will proceed as expected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:47 pm

The Honors Position at USPS has been cancelled. Received an email today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Honors Position at USPS has been cancelled. Received an email today.
If you're willing to disclose, did you have an offer or were you in the interview phase?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Sure. I had only applied. I was not extended an invitation for an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Honors Position at USPS has been cancelled. Received an email today.
Any hint of a reason why? I'm a lateral looking at USPS spots, but have some concerns with USPS's year over year deficits.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Any hint of a reason why? I'm a lateral looking at USPS spots, but have some concerns with USPS's year over year deficits.
USPS is a sinking ship... specially in this administration.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sounds like avoid at all costs?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sounds like avoid at all costs?
I mean, do your own research--but... it keeps losing money and the GOP has been wanting to privatize it for a while (I don't think they would, but I also don't think they'll make it better). I would never tell anyone not to apply and try and get a job. But personally, that's one place I would personally stay away from.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 pm

I just got a rejection from ACE.

"On behalf of the Chief Counsel, we thank you for your application to the 2017 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Chief Counsel's Civilian Honors Program. Although your credentials are noteworthy, we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the program.

We were fortunate to receive a large volume of outstanding applications for a limited number of positions. We sincerely appreciate your interest in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and encourage you to continue to pursue a career in public service."

Still waiting to hear whether or not my agency's program will get an exemption.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just got a rejection from ACE.

"On behalf of the Chief Counsel, we thank you for your application to the 2017 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Chief Counsel's Civilian Honors Program. Although your credentials are noteworthy, we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the program.

We were fortunate to receive a large volume of outstanding applications for a limited number of positions. We sincerely appreciate your interest in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and encourage you to continue to pursue a career in public service."

Still waiting to hear whether or not my agency's program will get an exemption.
Had you interviewed with the Chief Counsel and been "certified" before this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:20 am

I only received confirmation that my application was received. I did not interview or receive certification.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone had heard from the FCC at all?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Nope.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”