Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Anyone else hear of any other DOL HQ offers or requests for references? I've heard nothing since indicating I preferred a regional -- does that effectively just take us out of the running for HQ?

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:55 pm

Looks like tomorrow might be the day for an offer from the Atlanta DOL Regional office. To everyone who applied, good luck. Be sure to let us know when you do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Has anyone received any news from HUD after your interview + references being contacted?

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any news from HUD after your interview + references being contacted?


Y'all really want to work for Ben Carson???

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any news from HUD after your interview + references being contacted?


Silence here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:10 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any news from HUD after your interview + references being contacted?


Y'all really want to work for Ben Carson???

With no other options lined up, it's better than nothing.

Or worse than nothing if the program gets canned. Very conflicted. :roll:

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any news from HUD after your interview + references being contacted?


Y'all really want to work for Ben Carson???

With no other options lined up, it's better than nothing.

Or worse than nothing if the program gets canned. Very conflicted. :roll:


It's never too early to get picky.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:44 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any news from HUD after your interview + references being contacted?


Y'all really want to work for Ben Carson???

With no other options lined up, it's better than nothing.

Or worse than nothing if the program gets canned. Very conflicted. :roll:


It's never too early to get picky.


What a luxury it must be to be able to pick and choose exactly what job you want starting out of law school...

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any news from HUD after your interview + references being contacted?


Y'all really want to work for Ben Carson???

With no other options lined up, it's better than nothing.

Or worse than nothing if the program gets canned. Very conflicted. :roll:


It's never too early to get picky.


What a luxury it must be to be able to pick and choose exactly what job you want starting out of law school...


Read that Vale some time. Plenty of stories about people who took first job they could and end up really miserable until they were able to get away from it.

But I see this is going the wrong direction. Good luck with HUD. I hope it works out great for you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:34 am

Still no word from DOL Atlanta. Wtf? Early next week= Monday or Tuesday doesn't it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:24 pm

This won't help me because I have an offer deadline that expires tomorrow, but for those of you waiting on HUD, here is an application update email that I received from them:

Greetings,

Following interviews, successful candidates will be notified of their selection by telephone and mail. It is anticipated that the first round of offers by the Department will be made in December 2016. Depending on appropriations, subsequent rounds of offers may be made. The committee is meeting this week to make a selection.

Thanks


So it appears no offers will be going out this week, but they may do a first round of calls next week after the selection process is over. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:44 pm

For HUD, historically first-round offers have gone out this week. This includes 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2012.

Hoping for news this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:10 am

Do most govt. honors programs extend initial offers then wait to let everyone else know based on those offers or do they straight out reject people in final rounds? (DOL specific)

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:27 am

A little late, but just wanted to add: two weeks ago I got the request for references from DOL HQ, and last week, the offer. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:15 am

What (if any) are the consequences of reneging on an accepted honors offer if a better offer comes along?

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:37 pm

What could possibly be better than an Honors Attorney gig? Someone from my school says that they got the DOL ATL spot. Best of luck to everyone!

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 26814
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What (if any) are the consequences of reneging on an accepted honors offer if a better offer comes along?

Same as any other place - you've probably burned a bridge with that employer. Beyond that, I don't see any issues. I know someone who accepted an honors gig and then backed out about 3 months later, and nothing happened - everyone was very nice. I doubt they'd hire her again, but that was it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What could possibly be better than an Honors Attorney gig? Someone from my school says that they got the DOL ATL spot. Best of luck to everyone!


In ordinary times, nothing. But now the uncertainty of accepting a non-permanent position may outweigh the benefits.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Hello!

I interviewed with HUD 11/14, references were contacted soon after.
HUD is my dream agency. Bummer they may not hire closer to 20 people but hoping to hear something.

Thanks for all the updates!

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello!

I interviewed with HUD 11/14, references were contacted soon after.
HUD is my dream agency. Bummer they may not hire closer to 20 people but hoping to hear something.

Thanks for all the updates!


Where did you get 20 from?

rab12092
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby rab12092 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello!

I interviewed with HUD 11/14, references were contacted soon after.
HUD is my dream agency. Bummer they may not hire closer to 20 people but hoping to hear something.

Thanks for all the updates!


Where did you get 20 from?


20, I believe, is on their website

User avatar
Luchi91
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Luchi91 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello!

I interviewed with HUD 11/14, references were contacted soon after.
HUD is my dream agency. Bummer they may not hire closer to 20 people but hoping to hear something.

Thanks for all the updates!


Where did you get 20 from?



HUD typically hires 10-20 people and earlier someone on the board said HUD may hire on the lower end this year

User avatar
Luchi91
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Luchi91 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:57 am

This week could be it!!! :shock:

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:24 am

Heart definitely dropped when I saw the number of posts went up. lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 287689
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Government Honors (Non-DOJ) 2016-2017 Cycle

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:13 pm

Still HUD silence all around?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.