Covington & Burling References Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Covington & Burling References

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:20 pm

Has anyone gone through this reference process? Do you know what kinds of references they prefer (professors, employers, both?) I want to notify my recommenders as soon as possible. I have heard that Covington requires five references, but I have also heard they require two or three. Does anyone know which it is?

Thank you!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Covington & Burling References

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:38 pm

I think I did one law school professor, an attorney from my 1L summer, a supervisor I was still close with from my employer before law school, and one college professor, and that was fine. So a mix. I'm sure others did all law school professors and that worked too.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:22 pm

I believe I gave them three. One was a summer supervisor, one was a law school professor, one was a law school writing instructor.

The writing instructor told me that they aggregated all of the students who had listed him and asked him to rank each of us against each other. Because we were all in a half-section together, this amounted to asking him to rank me against 10 or so of my close friends who also applied for Covington DC. He refused (fortunately), but know that it's a possibility.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:48 pm

polareagle wrote:I believe I gave them three. One was a summer supervisor, one was a law school professor, one was a law school writing instructor.

The writing instructor told me that they aggregated all of the students who had listed him and asked him to rank each of us against each other. Because we were all in a half-section together, this amounted to asking him to rank me against 10 or so of my close friends who also applied for Covington DC. He refused (fortunately), but know that it's a possibility.
LOL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:09 pm

rpupkin wrote:
polareagle wrote:I believe I gave them three. One was a summer supervisor, one was a law school professor, one was a law school writing instructor.

LOL
FYI OP, this should give you a pretty good indication of what Covington's firm culture is like. But I guess they do have a really nice office, so that's worth...something?

At any rate, be careful in picking your references because they will definitely call all of them. Last year they wanted 3; I also gave a mix.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote: FYI OP, this should give you a pretty good indication of what Covington's firm culture is like. But I guess they do have a really nice office, so that's worth...something?
You don't even understand how prestigious they are though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:32 pm

Do they require professors references or anything like that? Or are all work references okay?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:49 am

I submitted a mix, but I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. If they want a different type of reference or a reference from a particular position, legal recruiting will ask you for that information. Just a quick email -- no big deal.

If your school has an active alum who is involved in recruiting and still knows folks on campus, they will also contact professors who you didn't list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:19 am

Do they ask for references after the screener? Because I emailed recruiting and got a screener at Covington NY without references -- or is the DC office the only one that requires references?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do they ask for references after the screener? Because I emailed recruiting and got a screener at Covington NY without references -- or is the DC office the only one that requires references?
Also interested.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:36 pm

Covington comes off as kind of crazy.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:43 pm

lawman84 wrote:Covington comes off as kind of crazy.
Convington wants you to really want to work for them. That way, you're more likely to stay when they start paying you below-market compensation.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:
lawman84 wrote:Covington comes off as kind of crazy.
Convington wants you to really want to work for them. That way, you're more likely to stay when they start paying you below-market compensation.
They could just try treating their associates humanely. That would distinguish them from most biglaw firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”