USAJOBS question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
clev123

New

USAJOBS question

Postby clev123 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Recent grad here applying through USAJOBS and I was wondering if anyone knew the typical time frame for interview selections after making it through the initial "qualified" and then "submitted to hiring official." I had an internship with the Feds over the summer last year, and interviewed with a couple of honor programs and the turnaround for those interviews after being referred seemed to be within a month.

Currently waiting to hear on a few positions where I was referred, and it's been over a month since I was referred to the hiring officials, and I just wanted to see if that meant I was likely out of contention for the positions. I know it is probably a long shot, and as time goes on chances of interview are likely worse, but I just wanted to check and see whether anyone with more experience with USAJOBS could provide some input on the process.

Any insight is appreciated!

BNA

Bronze

Re: USAJOBS question

Postby BNA » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:12 pm

clev123 wrote:Recent grad here applying through USAJOBS and I was wondering if anyone knew the typical time frame for interview selections after making it through the initial "qualified" and then "submitted to hiring official." I had an internship with the Feds over the summer last year, and interviewed with a couple of honor programs and the turnaround for those interviews after being referred seemed to be within a month.

Currently waiting to hear on a few positions where I was referred, and it's been over a month since I was referred to the hiring officials for a couple of positions, and I just wanted to see if that meant I was likely out of contention for the positions. I know it is probably a long shot, and as time goes on chances of interview are likely worse, but I just wanted to check and see whether anyone with more experience with USAJOBS could provide some input on the process.

Any insight is appreciated!

The turnaround is contingent on too many things to list here. There are variables such as current employees with equal (or even as low as two) GS/SES pay grades below the salary posted that will have priority to fill that position. For whatever reason, they post the opening publicly before reviewing priority employees who want to fill that spot. The position may be permantely removed, transferred to another location, or already filled, and you'll never know.

My first thought reading your post is that a "qualified" designation is a bad sign. If I remember correctly, that's the second or third tier preference. Despite the non-discriminatory and "blind" review systems, existing relationships still carry weight. If it's a lucrative position, I guarantee the supervisor has already discussed the position with someone he/she wants and is just waiting for that resume to hit his desk.

Also, make sure you're structuring your resume in a way that almost mirrors the position criteria. This may be common knowledge by now, but USAJOBS apps are initially run through software that select resumes with specific key words. Over qualified applicants often miss opportunities simply because their application doesn't correlate with the published job requirements.

After all that blabbering about things you're probably aware of, the short answer is there is no timeline. Could be a week, could be two years. Federal HR departments are bureaucratic, slow, and often dysfunctional. My advice is that submitting via USAJOBS is insufficient. Unless your resume is truly spectacular or you have some sort of preference (veteran, disabled, prior employee, etc.) you'll have to handshake your way into the job.

Eta: realized I just unloaded a ton of bad news, but don't take it to mean your done. I know people who've been hired over the phone after 6 months without a response.

clev123

New

Postby clev123 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:28 pm

The turnaround is contingent on too many things to list here. There are variables such as current employees with equal (or even as low as two) GS/SES pay grades below the salary posted that will have priority to fill that position. For whatever reason, they post the opening publicly before reviewing priority employees who want to fill that spot. The position may be permantely removed, transferred to another location, or already filled, and you'll never know.

My first thought reading your post is that a "qualified" designation is a bad sign. If I remember correctly, that's the second or third tier preference. Despite the non-discriminatory and "blind" review systems, existing relationships still carry weight. If it's a lucrative position, I guarantee the supervisor has already discussed the position with someone he/she wants and is just waiting for that resume to hit his desk.

Also, make sure you're structuring your resume in a way that almost mirrors the position criteria. This may be common knowledge by now, but USAJOBS apps are initially run through software that select resumes with specific key words. Over qualified applicants often miss opportunities simply because their application doesn't correlate with the published job requirements.

After all that blabbering about things you're probably aware of, the short answer is there is no timeline. Could be a week, could be two years. Federal HR departments are bureaucratic, slow, and often dysfunctional. My advice is that submitting via USAJOBS is insufficient. Unless your resume is truly spectacular or you have some sort of preference (veteran, disabled, prior employee, etc.) you'll have to handshake your way into the job.

Eta: realized I just unloaded a ton of bad news, but don't take it to mean your done. I know people who've been hired over the phone after 6 months without a response.[/quote]

Thank you for the response! One of the applications was for the agency I previously worked with, and my former boss offered to help in any way he could, but I have not heard in awhile. I should of clarified, for the applications I was referred in the "best qualified" group, I was referring to my application status being updated to "referred to hiring coordinator." However I am sure you are right in that there are always more qualified candidates and people within the agency being looked at for the position. Just have to keep on applying I suppose and hope my few connections can make it work. Thanks again for the feedback (no worries on the bad news, comes with the territory in 3L/post grad applying)

BNA

Bronze

Postby BNA » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:39 pm

clev123 wrote:The turnaround is contingent on too many things to list here. There are variables such as current employees with equal (or even as low as two) GS/SES pay grades below the salary posted that will have priority to fill that position. For whatever reason, they post the opening publicly before reviewing priority employees who want to fill that spot. The position may be permantely removed, transferred to another location, or already filled, and you'll never know.

Eta: realized I just unloaded a ton of bad news, but don't take it to mean your done. I know people who've been hired over the phone after 6 months without a response.

Thank you for the response! One of the applications was for the agency I previously worked with, and my former boss offered to help in any way he could, but I have not heard in awhile. I should of clarified, for the applications I was referred in the "best qualified" group, I was referring to my application status being updated to "referred to hiring coordinator." However I am sure you are right in that there are always more qualified candidates and people within the agency being looked at for the position. Just have to keep on applying I suppose and hope my few connections can make it work. Thanks again for the feedback (no worries on the bad news, comes with the territory in 3L/post grad applying)[/quote]

Is your contact there a hiring authority? Will he be on the interview board for the position? If so, be sure to stay in close contact. Obviously relate how you want the position, loved working there, etc., but also use him to gauge the status of the opening. Respectfully ask whether the position is still open and where they are in the process. Has HR sent any resumes yet? Have they begun interviewing? He is your direct line for information about whether you're still on the table.

dodint

Bronze

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:41 pm

Search online for "Federal Soup" and browse through the Looking to be hired/New Hire forum to really get into the weeds on this stuff.

clev123

New

Postby clev123 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:50 pm

BNA wrote:
clev123 wrote:The turnaround is contingent on too many things to list here. There are variables such as current employees with equal (or even as low as two) GS/SES pay grades below the salary posted that will have priority to fill that position. For whatever reason, they post the opening publicly before reviewing priority employees who want to fill that spot. The position may be permantely removed, transferred to another location, or already filled, and you'll never know.

Thank you for the response! One of the applications was for the agency I previously worked with, and my former boss offered to help in any way he could, but I have not heard in awhile. I should of clarified, for the applications I was referred in the "best qualified" group, I was referring to my application status being updated to "referred to hiring coordinator." However I am sure you are right in that there are always more qualified candidates and people within the agency being looked at for the position. Just have to keep on applying I suppose and hope my few connections can make it work. Thanks again for the feedback (no worries on the bad news, comes with the territory in 3L/post grad applying)

Is your contact there a hiring authority? Will he be on the interview board for the position? If so, be sure to stay in close contact. Obviously relate how you want the position, loved working there, etc., but also use him to gauge the status of the opening. Respectfully ask whether the position is still open and where they are in the process. Has HR sent any resumes yet? Have they begun interviewing? He is your direct line for information about whether you're still on the table.[/quote]

The position is in a difference office within the agency, so he would not be on the hiring committee. But he does do a lot of work with the office where I applied, and he is a higher level employee so I am hoping that helps. Thanks I will definitely follow up. We talked once my application was referred, and he said he would check on things on their end but I have not heard since. I will reach out and reiterate interest and see if there have been any developments. Thanks again for the advice.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:31 pm

Even if the previous boss loved you, there are many reasons why he can't just pick you. For example, if a whole bunch of veterans applied, they will get ahead of you and you might never get an interview.

Be energetic and keep applying and stay in touch. But the best way to get through this process sane is by not getting your hopes up too much. It is a rather heartbreaking process.

Return to “Legal Employment�